Repeat hires

Broads01

Just booked Bright Horizon for a week next Easter for myself and my daughter. Bizarrely, despite hiring many many times for over 30 years, this will be the first time I've rebooked a class I've already had. That's not been deliberate, more to do with the wide choice available and being able to pick the right boat for the crew and time of year. I was last on Bright in April 2013 and loved it. It's great value for a boat with two ensuite cabins and handles beautifully.

So do you chop and change boats like me or is there a special boat you keep coming back to?

I have hired Swallow from Maffett next year that will be the second time. Would have been the third but it was booked when we were free this year. Excellent boat for what we want. Nearest we got to that when we hired from Richardsons on the northern was Broads Sunray and Suncharm. Same boats just a different layout. Again great boats. We have had great service from both yards.

We tend to stick to particular boatyards rather than individual boats. Started hiring from Broom and never really looked elsewhere until they gave up. Then Aston until they gave up, then discovered Martham, then tried sailing and Eastwood Whelpton. Over all that time the boats we've come back to time and again are:

- Aquafibre Sapphire 32s from Broom and Aston. Lovely comfortable boats, just a pity they don't get to our favourite places

- Judith from Martham. Absolutely love her.

- Leda from Eastwood Whelpton

And when its just the 2 of us and we fancy a motor cruiser its Grenada Girl from Summercraft, a Sheerline aft cockpit

We always hire a different boat every time, makes it more exciting for us. Mostly always from Richardsons and would hire them all again like a shot, never been disappointed.

Broadland Mars, Broadland wave, Major Gem, Melody and  Star Gem being my favourites, once we've been through the whole Fleet then I suppose we will have to repeat hire, I don't know, life is such a drag lol

Grace

• Like 3

The only boat we have hired more than once  was Juliet from Martham.  Like Gracie we now hire almost exclusively from Richardsons, but have never had the same boat twice, although we did have the same Major Gem as Gracie!  We seem to be working our way through the Gems at the moment - at least there's plenty to choose from!  

We allways try to hire a diffrent boat, again exclusively from richardsons, but went we booked for october this year, there was not the amount of boats that normaly showup, so we booked broadland breeze again, we had here before and we know she is clean and comftable, and blue. can not wait now less than 600 hours to go lol

We're hiring Petite Gem again - we like to call her "Little Lettuce"!

Last time was my first time on the broads, i found her so easy to drive that within a couple of days we elected to nip off darn sarf - many thanks to the lovelies on the phone at GYYS for helping this amateur with crossing times etc! :love

To increase our confidence even further, we're playing it safe and going with the same boat - next year we will probably try one of the lovely wood ones from Marthams :wub:

cheersbar Jane and Jon

(only got less than 3 weeks to wait!)

• Like 3

Ah I notice Richardsons pops up frequently in the replies. I never hired from them at all until 2005 but since then I've hired from them much more than anyone else. My list so far:

San Elena

Salerno

Distant Horizon 1

Serene Gem

Crown Gem 3

Jamaica 1

Bright Horizon 1

Tropic Horizon 1

San Francisco 1

In a bit over 2 weeks I'll be on Broadland Wave 2.

• Like 1

I never like hiring the same boat twice but I'm sure it will happen some time!

It's nearly always Richardsons as the boat always does what it should, is well priced, the service is good and flexible/real enough to vary to the customer and the loyalty thing makes it worthwhile too.

There's a few designs I like that they dont run though, so at soe point a change might happen, but when I've considered it before you normally just end up with something different to plan A from Richardsons that stacks up as better value overall

Dan

• Like 1

Forgot to mention... by the look of Richardsons Sales website and their availablity checker it looks like some names mentioned here (such as Distat Horizon number 1 and all the Petite Gem's) are being thrown out/retired at the end of the season

Dan

on the ball as ever Dan!

also going are

2 X Broadland Sun.

2 X Crown Gem.

1 X Broadland Saturn.

2 X silver Gem.

1 X Tropical Gem.

1 x Southern Horizon.

there will be

2  X Dawn Horizons coming to Stalham as Superior Gems

Glistning Horizon and Blue Horizon will also be let from Stalham.

• Like 1

Good afternoon all,

I used Aston Boats very fairly frequently until they ceased to exist, never the same boat twice though. More recently it's been Richardsons simply because of value for money and choice. These include,

Broadland Lass, Broadland Breeze, Major Gem, Voyager, Broadland Mercury, and Ibiza. Ibiza I've hired two years in succession, we have a lads weekend every Oct and it's perfect for that.