Repeat hires

Broads01

They were not all breakdowns, just call outs. Took over Sat 2pm. Just passing Brundall go to make a cup of tea and cutlery draw is empty, duly delivered to us whilst we moored in a Brundall hire yard. Post cup of tea use the toilet no water to flush, call back in same bloke back to us and we had not moved. Valve or something was shut off-we were the first hire of the year (it was Easter). Breaking down on Breydon and the tow back was non to fun though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We always hired yachts from HW to start with and never had a bad experience. It amused me to see the guys watching the fleet come in from the footbridge on a Saturday morning, eagle eyed for signs of problems, no smiles as there were on starting the hire until they were satisfied all was well with the rigging etc.

We also hired cruisers from them, all in great order. Later we went on to get our yachts from NBYCo and once for the 3RR from Martham, all good. Dave and Jess hired their yachts from the outstanding Whelpton Yard before buying Brilliant,

I only hired from Hearts once back in 1989 when it was part of Pennant Holidays. I always liked the location and being ferried to your boat was a fun quirk. I think the railway bridge was always an issue though. Even though we were on a little Safari 25 that year we were rushed away from the yard in literally 10 minutes because we might otherwise have been stuck at Thorpe for the night.

I used to like the place as it was always where we stopped after a long trip from Manchester so was good to get out of the car and see some boats! 

Quite a charming and quirky place and the boats were very cheap.  We never hired from there which I sort of regret now, but I guess back then my once a month hiring strategy was still in development....

Dan