Lightroom 2

pks1702

Thanks Bruce, yes had figured that.

Spyder 2 Express looks like it will do a job for me so will give that a go and see what the results are like.

No problem in splitting things Simon; I just hope no one will be put off from posting on this area as it really has encourage some good interactions discussions and images from all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Lightroom club Paul! You'll love it.

For anyone getting to grips with it, or indeed anyone who thinks they know a reasonable amount about it, I highly recommend these videos from the Luminous Landscape website: http://store.luminous-landscape.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=203 This is Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe, demonstrating and teaching about Lightroom 2 on downloadable videos - only $39.95 US, and worth every cent. I had been using Lightroom 1 for quite some time, but when I saw these videos I realised that I had missed a lot of features.

Next, these free presets are excellent: http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=33

There are also some free presets, as well as some (very good) presets that have to be paid for at Seim Effects: http://prophotoshow.net/seim_effects/home/

Have fun!

Bruce

Well heres my first - well 15 minutes - attempt with one of my pictures using lightroom.

Very pleased with the results too.

So which do you prefer??

Replies on a £5.00 note.

Helps pay for the software lol !!! :liar:liar

post-170-136713440519_thumb.jpg

post-170-136713440535_thumb.jpg

Helps pay for the software lol !!! :liar :liar

Paul,

I wonder what you mean!!!!!!!! :norty::norty:

BTW I personally prefer the original at the moment, but with a little practice I'm sure you will produce very pleasing results.

Edited to say: You should have said at least a tenner, Paul! :-D

Good Luck with it!

Regards,

Clive.

OK so just to bring this down a peg or two this is my dumbo question . Whilst I am not intending to produce top quality stuff like you lot I would like to improve somewhat, if possible :-D :-D I have downloaded the free copy of Lightroom 2 and looked at some of the tutorials and at first glance I think I might get the hang of things but why photoshop as well, do they go hand in hand, does one do what the other doesn't. At my level I can't justify even to myself , getting both.

Newf :oops:

OK so just to bring this down a peg or two this is my dumbo question

:o:o:o

Not at all, a perfectly valid question.

Lightroom is a photographers tool where as Photoshop is really a designers tool. I have both and don't use more than 5% of Photoshop so if you are looking at one of these two it would be Lightroom every time for me.

Loike Perry said, you do not have to use Photoshop.

I use PaintShop Pro with Lightroom.

PSP will allow you do a lot of differant things whereas LR will help with things like exposure, saturation and contrast slightly better than PSP and I have found it quicker.

I will PM you shortly Colin. All will be revealed.! :naughty:

Hi Colin

Paintshop Pro Photo X2 is my current software of choice, simply because I already have it and can't yet afford Lightroom!

PSP is perfectly capable of producing the desaturated images you are talking about, with coloured areas brought back in, as in the example below. This one has been desaturated almost to the point of B&W but not quite and her eyes I changes from their natural brown to a vivid green. I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but I was aiming for the plastic model look, and thought it turned out quite well. This was my first ever attempt at this type of photo, and also my first ever experience with a professional model in a studio.

post-264-136713446547_thumb.jpg

Even ignoring the startling blue eyes for a minute, that is a fantastic portrait shot Colin. I would love to be able to take shots like that, and I've tried often enough but the results are never even close to what I was aiming for and I've long since given up trying.