Owning a boat, annual costs.

JimG

We bought a new Viking 20 with a 20 hp Honda High thrust in 2008. It is marina berthed, serviced each year at MarineTec and antifouled every three years. When we bought the boat we had given up our sea going sailing cruiser for about eight years so had to buy everything new including an inflatable dinghy. We use the boat about sixty days per annum and spend about sixteen nights aboard each year. We live twenty minutes away from the boat so are mostly day boaters, in fact we use it propably more on crisp Winter days. The boat was a top spec Hi-Line with about another £2000 of extras over that. I have kept a spreadsheet of all expenditure EXCLUDING fuel and as we come to the end of the boat's seventh summer the total is £43264·00 which INCLUDES £7000 for depreciation.

• Like 1

.......What actually gives me a lot of annoyance is the many boats that are moored out there not being used but taking up valuable marina space – this in turn means those who do use their boats find getting a mooring harder (and because of demand for those moorings the marinas can charge a hefty sum)........

You might want to rethink your position in that one...if they were all out on the river you'd struggle to find space to moor your hire boat. Be careful what you wish for... :roll:

I'm afraid I have to agree with Rincewind there Robin. :)

It is indeed fortunate for all that the majority of the  10,000 privately owned craft on the Broads hardly ever come out of their expensive off-river marinas, or they would choke the rivers and public moorings far more than the 1000 hire craft and small percentage of well-used private craft..

There's another positive aspect to it as well, all those rarely used private  toll-paying craft  are effectively subsidising the BA toll charges at a ratio much greater than the hire craft multiplier.

So they're helping the hire businesses as well, rather than the often postulated opinion of it being the other way round ! :)

I have mixed views about surveys.

We had a vessel in for a breakdown a month or so back. It was the chaps first real outing  since buying it. He got from Oulton to Whitlingham and then it broke down. I went out to it, couldn't get it running so towed it back.

We replaced the Starter Motor because it was very tired and wouldn't turn fast enough (and sucked the life out of the battery at alarming rates), but that didn't solve the problem (although it improved cranking hugely). We changed filters, bled it, bled it some more, and more. Eventually got it going but it wouldn't rev.

Then got the injection pump overhauled and was told that it had seized inside. Put it all back together and bled it, bled it some more, and more and more. Nothing. Zilch. Nadda.

Dropped the filters again and cauhght a whiff of something. We weren't sure what it was, but it wasn't right. So, cleaned the fuel lines, put new diesel in and it went perfectly.

Upon further investigation, it seems like the previous owner may have been making his own fuel...... Badly.

Back to the survey. What did it have to say about any of this? Nothing at all. There was more disclaimer than there was about the engine and the remainder of the survey ( and the one a couple of years ago) pointed out things that any experienced boatyard would see. Sure, some yards may see more than is necessary if they think there's some work in it, but the purpose of the survey is to instll confidence in the purchaser or at least warn them of future issues. Neither of the two surveys I read on this vessel were worth the paper in my view.

This poor chap had just spent a lot of money on the boat and then it breaks down with one very noticeable fault (the sluggish starter) and a huge other problem that cost a decent percentage of the purchase price to put right. Couple that with non-compliant wiring a bilge pump that pumped back into the bilge and other ridiculous modifications and the survey began to seem a joke.

To be really useful, you need a surveyor who knows about engines, knows about electrics and gas and can test and report on these things.

• Like 1

Surveys have their place I think, but are by no means a gospel about the condition of the boat. For someone new to boating I would say they offer some peace of mind about the boat's value, but all come with a disclaimer at the bottom that basically says the survey is the surveyors opinion and he's not responsible for anything.

When we bought our first boat, I did have a survey done. It was quite detailed, but didn't note the rot in the floor panels in the aft cabin. However, she was a good boat and after some refurbishment did us proud. I have since changed boat twice, and feel I know have enough experience to check things that would likely be picked up on a survey.

Our current boat was bought without having a survey done, though I did have sight of a 3 year old one that was done for the present owner, and carried out my own inspection. Unfortunatley for us, engine problems and an electrical issue meant a hefty repair bill in the first year on top of the things we knew needed doing. The point for me though, is that even an in depth engine survey could not have spotted the problems we had, and so the money I would have spent on a survey went towards the repairs.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Loads of opinion's   loving it 

is it expensive , probably as a very new owner :party:going to find out.

Can I justfiy my car that sits on my drive more than its used. Nah.

Can I afford a boat ownership  We will find a way. Why ? After a rough two years my charlie born with a extra chromosome and wife who has just had a scare with skin cancer. All before I'm 40 two guns We are  all here once and for how long who knows .  Watching the kids run around playing at the side of the river the wife looking relaxed   Drinking a glass of wine ,watching them . Me with a pint of farmers blonde taking in the magical broads priceless .being able to do this when ever we want.  

Its expensive hobby or just away of life. 

Taylors 

• Like 8

Totally agree Taylors, you never know what's around the corner, the way you describe your family enjoying the Broads sums up exactly how my family and me enjoy the the place. Good luck with your new Boat, enjoy every minute afloat.

I saw the photo of your gorgeous kids on the other thread, can I have Cheeky Charlie please? lol, he's just beautiful :love

Grace

• Like 1

Mr t (always loved that phrase)

its a hobby, a life, a lot of holidays etc all things to all men (and women). 

Its as cheap or expensive as you make it, but in the end if you enjoy it. Go for it. IMHO. 

I wish we had more time to use our boat, but hope I still can when I have the time. 

You will curse it, you will cry at the ponds going out of the account but as long as you enjoy it?

good luck and hope to see you around for a wave. 

• Like 3

Totally agree Taylors, you never know what's around the corner, the way you describe your family enjoying the Broads sums up exactly how my family and me enjoy the the place. Good luck with your new Boat, enjoy every minute afloat.

I saw the photo of your gorgeous kids on the other thread, can I have Cheeky Charlie please? lol, he's just beautiful :love

Grace

thank you and if I had pound for every time  someone wanted to take cc home , I would have got a bigger boat :shocked.  Next time we need a baby sitter when afloat I'll give you a shout lol. Here's one to put you on:dance

image.jpg

• Like 1

Boating is never going to be a cheap hobby., I think Alan got it about right our boat is 29 foot, mooring 423 pound every 3 mouths, tolls 299 a year insurance 180 so on and so on.What you need to consider is it the right  thing for me.If so go for it you will find the money.Just remember every so often you go down to the river and throw a Cople of hundred pounds into the water.

Ian

• Like 1

Thinking about this reminds me how outrageously fortunate I have been in my part ownership. Without the friends we have made it simply wouldn't be possible.

All the other owners I know are able to put a lot of time and graft in or are wealthy enough to pay for someone else's.

If you are not paranoid and thorough when buying you will learn to be so shortly afterwards. When it comes to maintaining things a grand in time saves nine. So make certain you have reserves to pay for things before they get away from you.

Edited by Warp

Taking aside all self interests, the branding of The Broads as a National Park is wilfully deceiving, it is in contravention of the Trades Description Act IMO and for what ever reason needs to be challenged. While I don't like the motives for the current challenge I am 100% in favour of it. As for the pledge to abandon the quest for full N.P. status, one should recall that within hours of announcement that was being modified to say "for the life of the current Broads Plan" which in fact is due for review I believe as soon as next year.

I think both Marshy and JM make good points.

Dave

Errrrr, where does this come into boat ownership? That aside, good points.