Hi All!

Mouldy

I will be back on the Broads, together with SWMBO, our son Iain and his girlfriend Rachel, for another week (which will pass all too quickly) from 27th September.  I've been visiting the Broads since 1969 when my grandparents and parents took me (aged 13) for my first Broadland adventure on a Caribbean from FB Wilds, Horning.

It made a lasting impression and I've spent many happy weeks afloat since.  I introduced my wife to the Broads experience in 1987, when we spent a week on a 29ft, 2 berth  Connoisseur from Porter and Haylett in Wroxham.

We revisited the area on the Saturday following the hurricane in October '87 (that Michael Fish said wouldn't happen) on another boat from the same class.  With the river levels so high, getting it under the bridge at Wroxham was quite a job!!  Even getting to Wroxham to collect the boat proved to be difficult on the day, with many fallen trees blocking the A11 into Norwich, causing several diversions through residential roads that I hadn't been on before or since.  Although time has healed much of the damage by now, the effects of the storm on that night in 1987 can still be seen, especially at Salhouse Broad, where many big trees were toppled.

We have been on several type of cruiser from several yards, most of which have sadly now gone, including Gale Cruisers at Loddon, Connoisseur Cruisers and Bristers at Wroxham and Russells of South Walsham.  Two yards that we have previously visited are still hiring, Summercraft and Royalls and it is Royalls where we will be excitedly arriving on 27th, when we will be on Royal Commander for a week.

That's enough from me for now.  I work nights and am of to get some much needed sleep!!