What would you do next?

ReedRunner

Someone did just this 3 yrs ago to us.

He just walked on leaving geese crap all down the walkway and

when I 'asked him to leave' he looked shocked!

We were moored stern on.

The look in my eyes told him what he needed to know  :naughty:

He got off and apologised....

And yes, I meant it.

Ask first is what I would do whether it was private or hire.

Manners cost nothing and it's something missing in most

people these days and you don't leave them behind anyway

just because you are on a boat on the Broads! IMHO.

• Like 2

We've only ever had one incident with an uninvited guest, a bikini clad young lady waltzed past the galley windows to retrieve a fishing hook after her other half miscast. Now my daughter Holly was about to say something...but the usually proprietorial Uncle Albert shushed her for some reason. I can't think why?

We often get folks congregating around the stern though, to come and talk to and pet the beagles although we do get the occasional visitor who want to take a look at the boat usually because they once hired her. But so far everyone has been polite and asked permission to come on board.

• Like 2

I agree that the person should have asked, if I had been in that position I would have been already up on my feet ready to help the other boat in (the thought of protecting mine would never have entered my head :liar honest).

We all want to enjoy our time spent on the Broads, so sometimes it is better to bite your lip and chill out and only react when it comes down to safety & potentional damage.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

I have had to use insurance in a similar- potentially threatening situation, As some may know I used to do Viking re-enactment, this involved real (but blunt) weapons. One time while packing up the weapons had been gathered up and put ready to pack into the cars, a group of youths who had exited from the local pub turned up, and before we could stop them they had picked up weapons and were encouraging each other to be the first to attack us. not wanting injuries I started talking to them - asking them to put the weapons down. It was at this point that I realised their leader had backed himself into a bit of a spot, he couldn't back down in front of all his mates, and he didn't like the look of the way the 20 odd unarmed Vikings were looking at him as if appraising his abilities (any one of us could have easily disarmed him ). Spotting this I asked once more adding the fact that if he kept on we would have problems with our insurance - this gave him a let out, he was able to apologise and hand back the weapons, whilst making it appear that he was doing us a favour to his mates (thus not losing face).

So by invoking the almighty insurance we were able to defuse a potential problem, sometimes people realise they are in the wrong, but need a way out without losing face in front of their mates / family.

Grendel

• Like 3

We had something similar happen with a yacht heading towards our boat that was moored up, we were happily chatting away when we saw the yacht heading toward our boat which we had just cleaned. Before we had time to think two people jumped off of the yacht onto our boat and deflected the yacht from hitting us. We were speechless to say the least.

It all happened so fast that by the time it registered they were back off of our boat and back on their yacht apologising for the imposition.

Afterwards we said we should have told them to get off our boat but at the time it was difficult to call and we really didn't want our boat damaged by the yacht.

So the moral of the story is perhaps that some situations call for different responses.

In the case of someone jumping on our boat to moor another boat I think we would have said "are you joking, get off. (Or similar perhaps more colourful response!)

Jan

• Like 1

What would you all do if it happen to you. Well it did happen to us. Last May at The New Inn. We were there for the Horning Boat Sale and as we do we were moored at The New Inn from Friday to Sunday. Alan and Dave came on the Saturday. On the sunday morning the boat on our starboard left and then someone was trying to moor ( Gus was not around ) Alan was helping him, but then the guy from the boat next to us got on our boat and was trying to help that boat, but he made the matter worse.

We ending up having a piece taken out of our boat all because he was telling the guy wrong.

Regards

Marina   :Stinky