We've only gone and done it

LadyPatricia

Morning all

We have eventually managed to find a boat we both like. Went up to see it last week and when we stepped aboard we looked at each other and smiled.

We made an offer yesterday that was accepted subject to survey and trial run.

We've sorted a mooring and had an insurance quote so almost there. Very exciting times :)

Steve & Deb

• Like 7

Thank you all for the lovely comments.

Yes John / Mary it is Lady Patricia. Do you know the boat well?

Steve & Deb

Not really but I always look up boats that interest me in "Boats of the Norfolk Broads"

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=18282&BoatHistory=29307

(BTW, it's Mary-Jane, if we ever meet up!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's it, just the formalities of money changing hands and Lady Patricia will be our very first boat.

Had a trial on her on Friday while we were on holiday and we have decided she will be perfect for us. We took here down the Waveney and then back up and through St Olaves bridge then back to the marina. Really responsive and no trouble going against the tide which was really pushing through the bridge.

Looking forward to many happy days, weeks and years on her :)

Steve & Deb

• Like 2

Well done to you both.

We bought a share in one of the syndicate boats earlier this year as i could`nt justify the expense of ownership for such little use, and are having our first week on her in a week and a half. 

What`s the name of her, and are you going to keep it, or re-name her (best done while out of the water, as it`s supposed to bring bad luck)?.

Jon -Thank you to that 'numptie' up the ant :) after our conversation when we popped in last week you helped put our minds at rest over the couple of doubts we may have had.

Speedtriple - her name is Lady Patricia, we were going to rename but various people have said it is bad luck. Are you saying that doesn't count if she is out of the water? Any opinions of others on that subject would be helpful.

Good luck with your first week on your share, we hope you have a lovely time.

Ian - we have paid for 3 holidays a year for the last couple of years and after some fine calculations, apart from the initial outlay, it won't cost us any more per annum if we do most of the servicing and upkeep ourselves.

She is having a couple of jobs done on her at the brokerage/yard before we collect her and move her to her new home :)

Steve and Deb

• Like 1

Hi Steve & Debs

Well done on the purchase of your new boat. I am sure you will enjoy your time on her.

Re name change. This is just superstition. Many commercial ships, and fishing vessels, when they are sold to new owners have their name changed. Often as part of the sale contract, because an owner wishes to retain the name for a new vessel............I don't know of any that have gone to the bottom because someone had the temerity to change the name of a vessel! lol Perhaps storm or tempest or even negligence. I have indeed done this myself, and still consider myself a lucky man! (Changed the name I mean!)

Enjoy.

Maurice

• Like 1

I've re-named 2 boats and never got struck by lightning or ran out of beer or any other disaster for that matter, I've had more break downs on my current boat and that had the name on the bow done by the builder nearly 40 years ago so yes it is a load of old sphericals, if you don't like the name change it but by all means use the excuse to involve copious amounts of alcahol to appease the boating gods.

As long as you use when you can it will cost very little compared to hiring and a boat of that size (small for the broads) can be very comfortable, it always seems to be the larger the boat the less it gets used.

Now just get out and enjoy it....And don't forget to say hi to the bunch of lunatics at www.normanboats.co.uk forum as they will answer any questions that don't get answered here.

• Like 1