We've only gone and done it

LadyPatricia

Thank you for the input Maurice and Leo.

We have a name in mind and it echoes every sentiment we have for the broads.

I had the great pleasure of mooring next to a gentleman (well actually we were there first) at Ranworth whilst on holiday last week. A really nice guy by the name of Trevor if memory serves me right. He originally setup and ran the norman appreciation web site but apparently the software it was built on is no longer supported by modern day hosting services, or something along those lines.

He did arrive in a rather lovely looking Hampton Safari which I believe is a new boat for him. Great guy with lots of knowledge.

I will be looking at some of the ideas on the site and will check out the forum if it is still going.

cheers

Steve and Deb

hi and congrats on your new purchase, as for re naming,,,, if your worried try this :naughty:

First: You must de-name. Example: Bless the former name and allow that name to go to the everlasting sea. A simple thank you for its former service and a good-bye to <old name> should do. Also remove all traces of the original name. 

Your Denaming Ceremony
During the Denaming ceremony please feel free to utilize this "Former Name" poem which I have written for you to help in your ceremony.

Former Name Poem
(This reading to be done at the beginning of the celebration)

I bid hail! Aeolus and Poseidon!
And seek your benefaction upon this vessel,
May the name she carried before, be gone as the winds of yore,
Having served the former master with honor.
I now, with deep respect, petition you royal beings,
To give this vessel's new hailing and her next voyages, your kindness.
Be it known by one and all! This vessel, from this day, will be hailed
as, <new name> !

I further offer the following plea
(If you are also performing the renaming celabration on the same day you
would now read the "To APPEASE the SPIRITs of the SEAs" poem)

Second: You must establish the new name, here comes the fun part!  There are 3 methods you can use, the first method is more common today. More on the ceremony can be found below under the more historical information for you to consider section.

1st method:
You must pour very good red wine (red wine, not champagne - see below ) on the bow and offer some to the godPoseidon (Neptune) pouring the wine into the waters of the Home Port, saying out loud the new name, asking Poseidon to bless the boat and all who ride within. If it is a sailboat, don't forget Aeolus, the god of winds. Both god's blessings required. Also, the Captain, crew and guests should sip the wine as well. Please understand the spill and intake quantity is not limited, the gods like generosity!

2nd method:
After de-naming scuttle (to sink a ship by making or opening holes in its bottom) the boat out of sight of land then refloat and rename. Not many of us can do this one at least not on purpose.

3rd method:
Have a Virgin urinate on the bow while renaming the boat and asking Poseidon's blessing. The major problem here is ahhhhhh -- well, I'll let you work on that one.

You may think this is offensive, I am sorry for this, however, it was really practiced in Eastern Mediterranean in the early days of seafaring.

I used method 1 and 3 (a friend has a baby girl). By the way, all the methods have REAL historical backgrounds.

Your Renaming Ceremony
During the Renaming ceremony please feel free to utilize this "To Appease the Spirits of the Seas" poem which I have written for you to help in your ceremony.

To Appease the Spirits of the Seas Poem
(To be read as wine or liquid is spilled on the vessel being renamed)

Aeolus, whose mighty hand doth charge the wind,
To this vessel gentle zephyrs send,
And we who sail within will bend
Our heads in tribute, Never end.

With breath from high that maketh heaven's breeze,
To cause we sailors joy, or fear, upon the seas.
We call upon you Aeolus, please -
grant this ship and its' mortal ease.

O! Poseidon, you spirit god of waters great and small,
On this vessel, by your grace, allow these sons and daughters all,
to pass from port of hailing to their port of call,
And on these sailing subjects make your gentle blessings fall.

You who cause the seas to rage or lie in sweet repose,
Please list' to we mariners here, your servants of the flows.
This ship, the captain, crew and all of those -
Who love the wind and seas - will follow where thee goes

Here is more historical information for you to consider in your ceremony:

Red Wine is the Wine to Spill
Red wine is the wine to spill, it symbolizes the blood of a virgin (yep, they used to sacrifice a virgin and spill the blood on the boat). In later history the blood of captured enemies or slaves was used.

Urine has a History
Urine has a history that is almost as fascinating. In some cultures leather was used to cover boats and urine helped tan the leather. The moon was most often considered female and urine and monthly cycles had connection with blood. Urine was also used to "wash" away old things and to clean wounds. Since boats were thought to have souls, when captured, the soul needed to have the old wounds washed away and renamed to reflect the new owners culture.

Do not use Champagne!
Drink it, don't splash it on a vessel! champagne is a very "new" invention and was not used until the late 19th century. This was a "Gimmick" that the champagne producers came up with to sell more wine. You can blame Cliquot and Moet for the tradition of champagne. Today several large ship builders refuse to use champagne to christen their ships because of what they considered to be too much of a commercial
intrusion.

Later in the history of ship building christening a NEW ship may have symbolized baptismal water. And Champagne may be viewed as that.

The Word Christening
By the way the word "christening" should be a consideration when renaming. Not a religious thing but you really are not christening a new boat when renaming. Also, It is possible some folks might feel it not appropriate to use Greek and Roman gods to bless a "Christ-ening" If that is a concern , Then simply exchange the "Gods" names and use LORD or God in the place of the Mythological names

Garlands of Flowers and/or Greenery
For hundreds of years garlands of flowers and or greenery from trees or Leaves from trees were used to decorate the vessel. I would like to emphasize this use of greenery it is a practice done pretty much all over the world. Hanging green leaves and branches was one of the first traditions not so much at Renaming as a launching ceremonies, but still it was a common practice. I've witnessed a Christening and a Renaming where the owners decorated their boats with Green Leaves and flowers.. It was very impressive. Today it's acceptable to either place flowers or greenery or decorate the boat with flags and Pennants.

May Poseidon and Aeolus bless your boat ! - Ralph E. Ahseln, April 1996 (revised 2003)

Ralph E. Ahseln
Gresham, OR
rahseln@comcast.net

Important: The opinions expressed here are those of Ralph E. Ahseln, and not those of the Catalina 36 National Association, Catalina Fleet 5 or Catalina Yachts, Inc. Additionally, this material has not been reviewed by a classics scholar, theologian, or archaeologist for historical accuracy. Note that this page's maintainer cannot guarantee that your preferred divine entity will smile upon your engaging in the worship of other gods or goddesses. Please consult a competent priest or theologian before engaging in any of the practices described here.    

The author of this article, Ralph E. Ahseln, has given the Catalina 36 Fleet 5 Long Island Sound USA permission to post this information.

• Like 2

My word Falcon. That does seem a lot of work. Did make me laugh though!

However there is another alternative. Go on to Ebay choose a nice design of your chosen name. Order said laser cut graphics. Remove old name apply new one. Stand back, and say. Cor I made a really great job of that! then off you go to the pub to celebrate.  Job done!

Maurice

• Like 1

Steve! I'm glad you liked Trevors new boat, it's my old one Crackers and if you went onboard you'll have seen all the time and effort I put into her, we now own a Birchwood 25 executive and gone back to petrol driven, unusually for me this one is a hardtop, I was worried because Judi loves mooring the other side of Wroxham bridge and we can't get under in this one, but she says she can live with that because she's fallen in love with the boat, it only needed a tidy up, but anyone that knows me knows that won't happen and everything will change, I have more stuff for the boat in my bedroom than Wroxham Marine at the moment and still more to get, one of the first things I told Judi was! I'm changing the name of her, I don't like her present name plus, (now don't laugh) I told my Dog I would call my next boat after her so the plan was to call this boat Kali, but Judi insisted that it was called Kali II as Kali the dog was No1, I now have all the new vinyl names ready to go on her, all bought from E/Bay trouble is I have six of them because I didn't realise that for the £6 each they cost yougot 12 four inch letters, so I ordered three for £18 expecting three names to turn up, but because there were only six letters in the name I actually got two names for £6, at least I have a few spare now, I got them from this place, nice Vinyl, very quick service  and cheap,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BOAT-NAME-DECALS-BOAT-SSR-Numbers-WATERPROOF-/260667572519?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3cb0ff8127

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

Picking up the keys and moving lady Patricia to her new home tomorrow, then the fun begins :)

I'm going to be like a kid at Christmas tonight, guess who won't be sleeping much. Lots of emotions running at the moment. A little Apprehension, a few nerves but most of all a lot of excitement :)

Steve & Deb

• Like 2

Good luck with the move Steve! now the fun begins, hours and hours spent on tinternet checking prices of things, I only have 40 favorite places where I buy all my stuff saved now, it was well over 100 at one time, if it's on a boat I have a site that sells it, it takes time but you can save a small fortune, but there's nothing worse than finding something cheaper, getting to the checkout and finding that there's VAT and postage making it even dearer than the swindlers, but it's all good fun and thats what boats are all about,,,,,

Frank,,,,,

• Like 1

Looks like a PM to you if we need anything would be the order of the day Frank to get relevant web addresses. ;)

Little bits and pieces we will purchase online or indeed from local outlets while up at the boat. Any larger, more expensive items we will be shouting out and calling for help from the Guys n Gals on here. We don't mind paying if the items are good quality but I'm sure in the boating world, as with everywhere else, there is some real cheap tat that is sold at over inflated prices. It just the learning to spot these items that may take some time as we get more experienced.

Steve & Deb

Steve! some people think I'm tight at times but I'm far from it, I just don't like being ripped off, how come I can buy a stainless cleat online for £5 yet at the swindlers they wanted £18 for exactly the same thing, I was looking for a new table support, Base, Top and Leg £54 at Swindlers, £23 online, all my stainless screws I now buy at Beardshaws in Wroxham, 10p each at swindlers 300 yards down the road £3 a 100, these days I only use Swindlers in an emergency, even ropes and fenders I get online now, sometimes it's only a few squids cheaper but thats a few squid I can put to something else for the boat,,,,

Frank,,,,,

Hope you enjoy her and have fun playing around with the new toy. cheers

Oh and welcome to the poor peoples forum, often called the boat owners club.  :cry

There is nothing quite like having your own boat to use at will or even just for a quick day visit and a glass of something on the water. Although if you are upt'north thta may not be easy. I am sure there will be plenty of volunteers to take her for a spin to keep the engines working for you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the messages guys

Had a nice little trundle down the river to her new home. Deb blitzed the inside while I sorted a few bits outside. Got a small list of things we want to do but all in all everything is good. Hot water after a 20 minute cruise and located everything we needed to.

Bonus of the day was finding the fridge and it is a brand new Waeco compressor type ;)

Steve & Deb

• Like 2

Erm! how can you loose or miss a fridge Steve??? I bet you were like a pig in poop cruising along, there's nothing like that feeling of I own this boat, Debs will be doing a Judi soon, when you get a snotty hire boat ignoring you when you wave at them, Debs will say to you at least we own this boat! I wanted to put a Calorifier on our new boat, but to my surprise Judi said don't bother I'll just boil a kettle, I've gone backwards, no hot water, no heating, I think the fridge is steam driven, petrol engine and hardtop, but it's all good fun as you'll both find out,

Frank,,,,,

• Like 1