Hoseasons rebrand

JennyMorgan

JM, call me old fashioned, but, I liked the old original Bluebird logo, you could pick out a Hoseasons boat from a good distance away. The one thats on the boats just now, means the poor old yard will have to change the logo yet again. 

Or, will Simon Altham go and do it? Nah thought not grrrrr!

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Hard to comment too much without having seen the logo but I don't think there was anything too wrong with the bluebird logo and the connotations that go with it.  Just who is this Altham man???! :naughty:

Upmarket may be alright commercially, and certainly people want quality more and more, even if at bargain prices.

I think everyone should be able to have a holiday so it is important that there is choice still at low prices too, but equally businesses must evolve to survive. 

Dan

• Like 2

Before this was mentioned I visited their new website - made with what appears left over 'eco friendly' hessian bags. 

In all seriousness though, just a few years ago things were really tough on the Broads as far as  bookings went.  However what were letting - even in the hard times when some boatyards cut prices by between thirty and fifty percent - were the modern high spec cruisers complete with their premium prices tags.

These days business is far better so the boatyards that could afford to build new boats and continue to attract a new type of customer - willing to pay extra are doing well with bookings being better than ever.  Maybe these new customers  are new to boating, or migrating from the more expensive waterways of the Thames or perhaps Canal travellers looking for luxury without the locks. 

Regardless of who the customers are, the bottom line is modern premium boats with expensive price tags don't seem to becoming any less popular. Only the boatyards will know from their booking tables what is letting well and what is not, but I suspect the days of budget (if I can call it that) boating holidays are going to be on the way out in the coming five years.

Hoseason's has been cast adrift by the likes of Herbert Woods and Horning Ferry Marina - boating to Hoseasons's as far as the Norfolk Broads goes is certainly not going to make up a large percentage of their sales and I'm afraid I feel that if you are a boatyard offering canal boats in Wales or a boatyard like Summercraft on the Norfolk Broads, the message is getting louder - invest and provide new premium accommodation and keep up  or the market will pass you by and I suspect Hoseason's is not going to wait for those lagging behind to catch up.

I think their logo is rather nice, as they go - very much appealing to the 'Waitrose type', an organic food eating, happy family who love Apple products and fair trade cotton,  who wants to explore the countryside in a warm cosy lodge but have all the comforts of a luxury hotel - the same type of family who would appreciate the finer boat and feel the extra expense is more than worth it. The same could be said for thirty something couples with no children but both in well paid jobs with spare cash to spend but little in the way of free time who see what Hoseason's offer as a passport to luxury relaxation*.

Of course there are going to be people who will simply not be able to afford such and there will be boats to cater for those people but I fear a lot less of them and a lot less boatyards on the map.  I honestly think we are going to end up with  Richardson's, Horning Ferry Marina, Barnes Brinkcraft and Faircraft Loynes on the northern Broads and Brooms and Alpha Craft on the southern (perhaps only Brooms).  I know that may seem alarmist but that is just my opinion, larger yards, less physical businesses concentrating on more premium boats with a few 'lower cost' alternatives in their fleets.

This biggest challenge though is going to be keeping these customers happy and returning - it is all very well having the perfect accommodation and customer service, but the shore side facilities along the rivers don't match the lifestyles of the people to whom the holidays are being sold to - sure a few nice pubs - but little else that they might wish for such as somewhere to get a decent freshly ground coffee or organic fresh produce to put in their recycled jute bag.

*Passport to luxury relaxation - I love it when I come up with a strap line randomly.

10703533_954072697942317_734320299021019

• Like 4

What a wonderful idea by a company who obviously don't have much idea of what the customer really wants.

"First of all we will change the Blakes logo, then we'll change the Hoseasons one."

Who is having to pay for replacing all the logos on the boats and throughout the boatyards, those at the holiday parks, those on worker's uniforms, all the paperwork etc. etc.?

I would shudder to think of the cost involved at, shall we say Richardsons?.   

Hmm. All very interesting.

I think Robin's post is spot on. I don't see any long term future for some of the small hire yards. The likes of Summercraft are sitting on a fortune in terms of land values and it would simply make economic sense to sell up at some point and retire.

As for the logo, I guess whatever Hoseasons want to do is up to them. Whether we like the logo or not is quite immaterial and I suspect that the cost of rebranding material for the boat yards will be covered by Hoseasons direct (perhaps even an allowance for removing and reapplying the logos to the front of the boats).

The new logo has some resemblance to the existing bluebird with the two leaves being of a similar shape. All very green, isn't it? I doubt though, that it will be as distinctive on the bow of a boat. But, as 65% of the business now comes from the likes of luxury lodges, perhaps this is no longer a concern for them? Perhaps Blakes brandings will be used more often?

I think this is so sad and going upmarket is soo wrong.. I'm really not trying to hurt anyones feelings etc but there is nothing upmarket about the broads..thats not what the broads are about..for me  It's about escaping the busy stresses and strains of day to day life.. whilst in norfolk we don't watch any TV (although I don't really at home anyway). we wont use 240v systems.. I accidently lose my mobile and my laptop stays 125 miles away (I thought of getting a ipad thing for norfolk but nah!)! 

For me it's not about being on a nice boat it's just about being in my accommodation doing something relaxing and that I don't do everyday.. I suspect other holiday makers are the same..  whilst I'm sure there are some that see a holiday on the broads as fulfilling part of that dream of owning a nice boat.. etc etc but I really can't see how thats a huge market and surely its not a sustainable business model..  Plus at 2k a week surely these type of people will only do this once and then go back to staying in 5 star hotels around europe!

We hired for a few years a little alpha 26 "wildcat" she was perfect for us.. basic as anything.. modern enough look.. small, nice to maneuver, tiny 3 cyl diesel engine so cheap in the fuel.. we was paying £500 a week or so (£750 for 2 weeks).. in my opinion the worse thing alpha (et al) done was sell these small boats off and move onto bigger and better (I get why they did it) ... I really believe that was the start of the downturn as it effectively priced us out the hire market and into private ownership. (To add we actually went onto hiring even more basic boats from marthams and they were/are bloody brilliant!).. So it's soo sad that this lesson aren't being learnt.. norfolk needs smaller cheaper boats as so it's cost effective then it will boom again (actually it would be busier then.. second thoughts.. brilliant idea!!) 

• Like 6

Alan (JawsO) I agree with you pretty much word for word there, but aside from pricing customers out of the market, there's another underlying irritation for me.

However did businesses survive before "rebranding" was invented?

Whatever did we do before we discovered we could "reinvent" ourselves?

Another way of asking those two questions is How did society exist before "marketing" became a university degree subject?

If we look at the BBC, we will, after just a nominal amount of research, discover that some time ago a vast amount of money was spent changing it's logo from "BBC" to "BBC". Then a few years later, even more money was spent changing it back!

All the letter headed paper, all the vans and all manner of other things had to be changed. The cost was phenomenal.

The Post office (or bits of it) became "Insignia", not that anyone noticed, and I believe that has since reverted to it's original name.

So now Hoseasons has fallen for this ridiculous confidence trick, not by changing it's name, but like the BBC, a change of logo.

Hoseasons say that it won't be the boatyards who will have to pay for any changes, Hoseasons themselves will foot the bill,

Well guess what , the people who will ACTUALLY foot the bill will be one of the following...

The Shareholders.

The Management.

The Customers.

I wonder which!

• Like 5

Cannot see why there is no much animosity towards Hoseasons here. They have decided to rebrand their logo to something more "greener" looking which is very much the thing today. (Have to say I cannot see why as the seagull looks OK but I remember that this also replaced the original bluebird a while ago) At the same time they want to look like a company which provides a better standard of acommodation which is what the market is always wanting.

In the 70s, the british seaside holiday as we knew it was dealt a massive blow with overseas holidays where you were always offered better value for your money in terms of facilities, standards etc. The economic downturn we experienced over the last few years forced many families to holiday at home - all expecting that same value for money. The companies which provided it are now prospering. The Broads summer school holiday period was a sell out for the first time in a number of years and everyone is reporting that business has been good this year. As Robin has said, it is the luxury boats which seem to sell out first, budget cruisers last. Look at availability for Sandersons throughout next year. They do not seem to get many repeat bookings. Compare that to the "luxury" end of the market. I notice today that both Swancraft and Silverline are investing in new boats for 2015. 

There is a place for both ends of the market to prosper and Hoseasons is still embracing them. They are just waiving the "aspiration" flag at prospective customers to catch their eye.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Hi David,

Hoseasons is the most expensive route to book any boating holiday, but in the last 2 or 3 years this has been the only route available to us to hire the boats we wanted on the Canals.

I agree with the other posters that re-banding in many respects is hog wash and usually is what happens when a company is being run by a team of accountants and PR men rather than people that fully know the industry that they operate in.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Further to my last post on this thread, I find it interesting people’s views on businesses and the Norfolk Broads as a holiday destination – actually I find it fascinating how there are so many different ways to look at something.

The world we live in these days means that if you keep doing what you have year in and out and change little in your ways, rather than keeping your customers happy and loyal along with attracting new ones, you actually tend to seem stale, stuck in your ways and your customers begin to leave.

Take M&S clothing side or Tesco – both have pretty much carried on doing what they have been doing for years which used to work but seem now to not work at all. It is a circular the customers are marketed to made to feel everything is only good for a couple of years and must be replaced, the companies are told they too need to keep up and change and evolve to look fresh and new and on it goes.

Some may complain about the fact Blakes got swallowed up by Hoseasons and mourn the loss of the two rival agencies and how certain boatyards would always be loyal to their booking agency, but really there is just not the market these days to support such and increasingly as far boating on the Norfolk Broads go, the model of agency taking a booking (and a cut of the cost) seems outdated especially when some boatyards websites are better than the agency’s own.

As far as rebranding and logos go – some stand the test of time because they are mini works of art and don’t age – take Boots – where as others in today’s market place would seem very harsh and almost brutal – the old square and bold Sainsbury’s is now softer and more flowing with curves.

Take a look at two old adverts from magazines in 1985 below – can you imagine these doing much to sell the cars today? 

$%28KGrHqZ,!l!E8EwCnyIdBPCum8gvNw~~60_35    5407024630_7995dc1a76_m.jpg

Who would want to read all that text and look at the fonts that were being used too – even if the car were new, the advert would seem dated.

The fact is people in this day and age do things very differently even to five years ago, increasingly buying things is done via websites but not only do people look at the company they are buying from (be it direct or through a third party) but then check with the review websites – what did other people think of their experience? It might be a holiday, it could be a meal out or even a camera - but of course really David from Bolton who is 55 would have a very different take on something and provide a very different review of it compared to Alisha who is 27 from London.

When you come to read reviews one has to ask are they worth much actually – probably not, but they can none the less ruin a business as much as they may boost it has now become something increasingly people need to do.

So from my point of view Hoseasons has needed to change itself from a cheap and cheerful provider of family holidays to a more focussed premium brand that has to try and cater for the family on a budget, but also the young couple and indeed the older segment 55 years plus couples or with their friends.  Not easy to please all of the people all of the time and they have to make money doing it to boot.

From a personal point of view, I want to get away from the stress of the daily life like the next person but I would not be able to feel comfortable being so out of touch with people and the things I take for granted at home.  I like music but don’t own CD’s now, I like films but do not buy DVD’s and I watch programmes but often not on a television – giving up ‘tech’ when away would mean leaving behind a bunch of things I take for granted and enjoy at home so I bring that onboard therefore having the best of both world’s.

Finally, talking of being upmarket I think some of the boatyards who have these new expensive larger boats need to go stay in a nice hotel in a major city for a weekend and take a notepad and make notes.  Think about the bedding - what sort of toiletries are provided – towels, slippers and face cloths – bringing your own when the boat may have cost you over £2,000 without fuel or meals seems very old fashion. People would not be happy if a hotel would limit the supply of hot water to certain times of the day or you’d have to pay a deposit for a plug to have a bath.

No, the luxury end of the market needs to be just that – luxurious. It might to many seem all hype and over the top, but why not get some high thread count fluffy towels, high end toiletries, Egyptian Cotton bedding and soft pillows – better china, nicer glassware and nicer sound systems and televisions so your able to wake up to the rustle of the Reeds or the sound of a duck quaking and feel pampered on board your floating palace because that would mean your upmarket customers would go tell their friends, who likely also have a fair amount of disposable income to spend their next holiday on one of these lovely boats.

• Like 4

I was going to write a long post, but Robin has just about said it all above. I, for one, used to hire what ever I could afford and in fact, went for 10 years not being able to afford anything. Now I'm in a job where I am paid quite well and I want to enjoy the results of my hard work. If that means going on a nice large new boat for a week, then so be it. It still relieves all the stresses, but in a much more comfortable way.

• Like 2

DavidH, whatever happens in the hire-boat arena will eventually impact on us all. I am not sure that I wholly welcome the changes thrust upon the Broads by the big, sea-going private boats so I view this upwards move by Hoseasons with a degree of trepidation. I wonder how the local licenced trade will react, are we to be swamped with bijou, boutique wine bars? Will I still be welcome in the boozer wearing shorts, a slop & muddy wellies? Chelsea by the river we are not, at least not yet.

• Like 2

People will always see things from their own point of view but remember broads boating is only a small part of the Hoseasons holiday business.

It's not only Hoseasons that are finding up market accommodation is being called for by customers, whilst many people enjoy the basic things of life, there are also increasing numbers demanding more comfort even on a camping holiday.

If the need for budget holidays exist whether on a boat or land based accommodation someone will fill that need.

• Like 2

Having now seen the logo well it looks alright.

What they aimed to do in their brief (according to the EDP article) they have achieved.  It does suit their core or growing core business better than the previous one, and boating is very green & leafy too, though how well that emblem works on a cruiser will be intriguing to see, but clearly that has not been at the forefront of their mind as other areas of the business have accelerated and become key focuses over boating.  Simon Altham was in charge of Parks & Lodges I think before taking on the big man's chair, so perhaps the acceleration or focus towards this is inevitable as well.

They generally do a good job and I think they unquestionably understand what their customers want, if you were to generalise it (not everyone wants the same so you have to do this to some extent, whilst remembering & not alienating or ignoring the smaller percentages).  Unfortunately the members here do not make up the biggest part of their business, or even reflect the majority of people who hire their boats I suspect.

Personally I think it's alright... though I don't like the obsession with capitalisation that seems to grow every year in usage!

Dan

• Like 6

Hoseasons have long been irrelevant in a Broads context as far as I'm concerned. Hire operators who run their businesses properly run decent websites which eliminate the need for Hoseasons. I have fond memories of the time when Hoseasons and Blakes brochures were the link to all boats available but that time is long long gone.

Hoseasons have long been irrelevant in a Broads context as far as I'm concerned. Hire operators who run their businesses properly run decent websites which eliminate the need for Hoseasons.

I think that might be a bit harsh, Simon. I'm sure lots of smaller yards would love to run their own advertising but surely the time and costs involved are prohibitive?

• Like 2

I think as Mr JennyMorgan said earlier, the broads are dependent on the hire fleet and hoseasons marketing is far outreaching than a smaller yards marketing attempts (although Richardsons seem to do a better job than hoseasons at the moment!).

I also understand that Hoseasons still know how to flex its muscle, apparently when the "Starboard range" was introduced certain yards where "told" to present at least one boat (and take the hit of higher commission for these boats). I do fear a broads without the hirefleet would be very different.. the upper medway which doesn't have a hirefleet is very sad.. very few public moorings, very shallow in places and at times a hazard to navigate.. the broads needs a hire fleet accessible to all :(  (plus they add to the fun of the broads!)...

• Like 2

Look at matters like this:

Let’s take a boatyard like Bridgecraft – not that small, not that large but have been going a long time and has a loyal customer base.  They have been and are reliant upon Hoseasons as their source of bookings (though likely have people call up to book too).

From their point of view if a web company called to say that they needed to have a website and social media presence they are likely going to say ‘we are fine without that thank you’ and that would be correct – for now.

But the market is changing we know that but look at Le Boat.  Their brand arrived on the Broads and operated their cruisers out of a large base in Horning and they had a mix of different styles of boats, then they expanded to Somerleyton (for a season) and then several of the classes of boats went leaving only the large centre cockpit’s for hire.

As we know they have since been sold to Herbert Woods and Le Boats ‘tie in’ as booking agents with Herbert Woods has folded and they have now pulled out of the Norfolk Broads altogether.

Why this happened or their business model and pricing is open to debate, but the fact is this was a large scale operator who for their own reasons did as their felt right but in a relatively short space of time have now gone.

Imagine then if say Barnes Brinkcraft decided to no longer be affiliated with Blakes and went it alone – that could result in Hoseasons thinking they should re-evaluate their presence on the Norfolk Broads and stick to other waterways.

In such circumstance boatyards like Ricahrdson’s, Faricraft Loynes etc might be annoyed to loose the agency booking’s, but at least they have for a long time had their own websites up and running but more than that, have good interaction with their customers however they have chosen to holiday with them through the use of Facebook, Twitter and emailed newsletters and offers.

A business such as Bridgecraft who have none of this would suddenly have to get up and running – they would need to worry about their placement on the likes of Google to be found,  get to grips with how to take bookings online, photos and site design and do all the things Hoseasons have been doing for them.  They are straight away obviously playing catch up – even if they had a seasons notice from Hoseasons, it would be a costly and big upheaval to go through.

Saying that 'marketing' need not cost much at all - email lists are easy to collect from people off their booking forms, Facebook can help you grow and is free so is Twitter - adverts such as to have on the likes of this forum would not cost the earth but would reach a large number of eyes so it does not need to be highly expensive to get you seen.

I think these days with domains being so cheap and starter websites equally easy to make and cheap to host (and Facebook being free) it is silly not to have your own site – even if it is just for more photos of your boats, offering the followers of you some deals at times and the like you are there – online and can build upon that not have to worry about setting it up.

But boatyards really are in the business of boats, not computers and marketing and must feel very annoyed at the thought of having to get someone in who knows about such and then pay (not a small amount) for their services. 

I know my boss at work is terrible as far as this goes – if someone emails us asking for a quote he feels this is likely to lead nowhere where as a call asking the same will – more often than not those who have sat down to email are people keen to proceed than those going through many telephone numbers calling around.

• Like 2