Boat of the Seventies?

Gramps

Hello All

Can anyone with a knowledge of Broads boats of the seventies give me any information on the boat pictured below. We hired it circa 1976 and I am pretty sure it was from a Brundall yard.

I have searched the Web and it seems this boat was a "Dawncraft" but I can not make out the name on the picture. My first guess was that it was "BROADHEART" but think that was probably a Thorpe Based Boat.

Any help appreciated

post-30485-0-72583500-1411681853_thumb.j

Hello Iian

You could be right, we did hire from there about that time can remember we were ferried across the river with all our luggage whilst someone took our car to their compound for safe keeping, but on the other hand I thought that photo was taken in the boatyard and can remember spending our last night in the "Yare" near the station.

Having said that the grey matter is 70 plus years old and may be mixing things up so to speak.

Another pic of the boat with a fine woody in the backround

post-30485-0-32230300-1411683388_thumb.j

Hi Ron,

Yes I hired in the late nineties from there. Only once did I go over in the tug to the office. Yep, my car I took to the compound along the road. Yer marbles are fine. Maybe you spent the last night in Brundall at the Yare and cruised up in the early morning back to Thorpe Green?

cheers Iain.

You are all probably correct, the water level could have been very low, although tidal, because of an exceptionally warm and dry year the ages of my sons leads me to believe that this was 1976, the hottest driest summer I can remember.

I agree by modern standards these pictures are very poor, they were taken on a very basic camera, a Kodak brownie if my memory serves me well with roll film of the 127 type. the photo's were also printed in a matt format which made them very grainy, added to this they have been in the bottom of a cupboard for years.

I have recently decided that they should be preserved on my computer in case my Grandsons should be interested by them.There are quite a few pics so I may need to seek your help again

Many Thanks

Ron

It does look like Broadheart. Here is the 1976 Blakes brochure entry for Broadheart.

attachicon.gifbroadheart_blakes76.jpg

Carol

Carol

I don't suppose your catologue has a Martham boat by the name Loreli in it? this was the first cruiser we hired on the broads circa 1972. We navigated PH bridge twice without incident in this boat, that was before all hire craft needed to use the pilot.

Ron

I don't think the photos are taken in Wroxham, the first photo shows the sheds much clearer and they aren't the Loynes' sheds. Can't say where it is unless it was taken in the Jenner's basin at Thorpe. It is odd that two Hearts cruisers are close together?

Hi Ron

Yes, they should definitely be preserved and good on you for doing that and sharing the pics here. I've got pictures of varying qualities and ages on the website and it matters not that some are not quite so clear. They are all an important record of the area and, in your case, your own family history.

Hi Liz - do you know, I'm not sure that I have ever seen a photograph taken in Jenners basin, so it's not one that I's thought of. I hadn't noticed the other Hearts cruisers, but you may well be right. I was partially working on the tree line in the background which looks very similar to a slightly older photo I have of Wroxham but the possibility of Thorpe hadn't crossed my mind. The height of the quay heading to water level would make more sense if it was Thorpe I guess.

Ron - here is Lorelei from the 1972 Hoseason brochure

post-143-0-53377700-1411722629_thumb.jpg

Carol

Hi Ron

Yes, they should definitely be preserved and good on you for doing that and sharing the pics here. I've got pictures of varying qualities and ages on the website and it matters not that some are not quite so clear. They are all an important record of the area and, in your case, your own family history.

Hi Liz - do you know, I'm not sure that I have ever seen a photograph taken in Jenners basin, so it's not one that I's thought of. I hadn't noticed the other Hearts cruisers, but you may well be right. I was partially working on the tree line in the background which looks very similar to a slightly older photo I have of Wroxham but the possibility of Thorpe hadn't crossed my mind. The height of the quay heading to water level would make more sense if it was Thorpe I guess.

Ron - here is Lorelei from the 1972 Hoseason brochure

attachicon.giflorelei_hoseason72.jpg

Carol

Hello Carol

I have been looking at your web-site, congratulations, its a fantastic source of information and will keep me entertained during the forthcoming winter. Through the links on that site I have been able to view 3 photo's of LORELEI and discover that she came out of service to the hire fleet in 1977, this info courtesy of Craig Slawson.

If legend is to be believed the boat was aptly named, it almost lured us to our doom on one occasion, but that is possibly a story for another thread

Ron

Hi Gramps,

The boat in the picture is an Aquafibre DC30 of which many yards either fitted out, or had someone else fit them out for them.  I think Dawncraft had several, as did Southgates, Herbert Woods, and Richardsons. In fact Clives team have recently carried out a full interior re-furb of their boat Barbados, which now sports a nice new interior, so if you want to go down memory lane, but have modern conveniences, it would be a good boat to hire.

It also happens to be one of my favourite designs, as they make an excellent boat for a couple.

• Like 2

Thanks for that SPEEDTRIPLE, I am not convinced it was Broadheart I am as sure as I can be that although we have hired from Thorpe this one was from Brundall, possibly Bounty Boats a short distance to right from the Railway station looking toward the river

Ron

• 4 weeks later...