A sad tale, a happy tale.

littlesprite

It has been a strange morning, I've lived in my house for twenty odd years and never had a bird fly into a window, then this morning I've had two.

The first sadly was a thrush that died on impact, at least he didn't suffer.

happily the second one, a robin, recovered after about 5 or 10 minutes of keeping him warm and feeding him up on insect sticks, although fit and lively, he seemed reluctant to get off my hand when trying to release him.

Sorry for the poor quality photo's they where taken one handed on a cheap mobile dumb phone.

post-456-0-85837800-1411727123_thumb.jpg

post-456-0-30056200-1411727138_thumb.jpg

post-456-0-82067800-1411727147_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely last two pics, Martin.

We have a large window at both ends of our lounge and a Blackbird flew into one recently, killing itself. Mary-Jane told me that as it could see all the way through it presumed it could fly through......... we now keep our blinds down at one end or the other (open, but it's enough for them to see).

• Like 1

Lovely last two pics, Martin.

We have a large window at both ends of our lounge and a Blackbird flew into one recently, killing itself. Mary-Jane told me that as it could see all the way through it presumed it could fly through......... we now keep our blinds down at one end or the other (open, but it's enough for them to see).

The strange thing is John it's never happened before in 22 years of living here, my current thought is the funny light conditions this morning. We had cloud earlier with the sun fighting hard to break through and it produced an almost sepia type look to the garden making everything look really weird.

We had a young blackbird fly completely through the house at the start of the summer and knocked itself senseless on the double doors the other side of the house. Think it hadn't fully mastered its flying skills.

I managed to get to it before our cats....... locked our catflap with the cats inside and went outside with it and put it on a garden chair.

It must have sat there not moving for about 20 mins and it wasn't looking good.....was starting to think it might have broken its neck. The mother was calling it incessantly. Then it jumped up onto the back of the chair.......and sat there for another 15 mins.....getting its bearings I think. I opened the door to 'encourage' it to move.....and off it went seemingly none the worse for its ordeal. :)

Another bird story for you........many years ago when we lived in Hampshire I used to regularly fish the same spot on the Basingstoke canal. Spotted a robin one visit watching me fishing.....and threw a few maggots along the path for it.......which it greedily ate. This became a regular occurrence so I started giving a whistle as I arrived.....and it would fly down for its maggot treat. I started putting the maggots closer and closer to me until eventually the little thing was either taking them from my hand or helping itself.

This went on for months.....and I think we both enjoyed sharing the time.

Made me very sad when after 2 consecutive visits giving it my whistle it didn't show up.

I like to believe the little feller found another fisherman who had worm instead of maggots that he didn't mind sharing. :)

• Like 1

We recently heard a noise in our bathroom. I opened the door, and there was this grey squirrel sitting on the inside window sill eating a walnut he had brought in from the tree in the garden!! He took one look at me, and was gone. We often see him outside though.

We have also had a variety of birds fly into the windows but most have survived.

Looks like the Robin will stay around Martin.

Maurice