Hypothetically speaking...

LondonRascal

Going back to the original post, We`re up on Lightning for the first time in less than 3 weeks. Being moored at Brundall,, i`l try and convince Karen to forget Tesco on the A140 approaching Norwich, and go straight to the store in Brundall.

Is that the Budgens? Don't get too excited!

I guess your date won't coincide with : www.loddonfarmersmarket.co.uk

But when ever possible we go to the market on the way up to the boat, then across the chain ferry to the pub for lunch them take the lanes upto Brundall.

• Like 1

Ah Dave! you never said it was Budgens, I'd certainly use them over Tesco's and Asda, as for live Yeast! I'd kill it, I don't mind the fresh bread, give me a fresh tiger loaf and half of it's gone before I get to the checkout, same with French loaves, but I can't stand the wrapped cut bread it's like eating glue, one of my favorite things when I was a kid was those mini Hovis loaves, I used to eat the middle out and fill them with crisp's, shows how long ago, the only crisp around were Smiths with the little blue salt packet, yes I know they do them now but they ain't the same, I had to give up my well salted bread and dripping , high cholesterol plus Judi couldn't watch me eat it for some reason,,,,

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Oh dear, I can visualise it right now, a buttered Scottish Morning Roll, a Scotch Meat Pie and broon sauce. Put the pie on the roll and push down on it, heaven! Aye ok heart attack in yer hand :naughty:  We wud go to the bakers near oor school, rather than have school diners somedays. Oh and that was washed down with proper Irn Bru, not the stuff they try and produce today. For sweet, oh a big Empire Biscuit. :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Don't worry Speed will will get to those eventually,

Iain! when I was a kid that would have been classed as foreign food, I was bought up on stuffed rolled breast of lamb, Pigs trotters, Stuffed sheeps hearts, Stews loaded with pearl barley, Rabbit Stew, Neck of Lamb stew, Liver and Bacon, Bread Pudding, Rice pudding, Sunday was always roast shoulder of lamb, or roast Pork with crackling that would that would just melt in your mouth,Mum used to think I was strange because she used to make a big flat yorkshire pud, any left over I used to put butter and jam on and eat it cold, Sunday tea was scrambled eggs on crumpets and a pint of winkles, the only time we had Chicken was Christmas, never even heard of a Turkey let alone ate one, anyone remember the penny Arrowroot biscuits, big as dustbin lids they were, the strange thing is most of the meats above were cheap working class meals, now if you can find them they cost a small fortune, imagine paying 11s or 55new pence for a whole shoulder of lamb, and it all tasted better, I'm sure if you bought a load of meat from a supermarket today and did a blind tasting you's find it hard to tell if your eating Pork Lamb or Beef, I never knew how Mum used to work, look after four kids and still have a proper cooked meal on the table every day, I think women from back then could certainly teach a lots of todays mums  a few things, about Stargazing, I'm lost! allI know is there's lots of stars up there, and as for home mechanics I'll give that a miss, your talking to a man that asked his Wife why we had a TV in the kitchen only to be told  "it's a Washing Machine"

Frank,,,,

• Like 1

Hi Frank,

Regarding meats of all kinds, I was spoiled from day one, my old man was a Master Hamcurer/Butcher, so always had the best cuts of meat. However, coming back into fashion up here is a cut of meat that was cheap to buy down in say Liverpool area and North Wales, skirt of beef. The taste that beef has when casseroled is quite superb, loads of shallots, carrots and gravy hmmm, nice.

Rolled spring leg of Welsh lamb is something I always looked forward too when we went to N Wales on holiday as a kid. The down side, I had to pop all the pea pods and collect the fresh mint from the garden.

When I see some of this Michelin food presentation, on a plate five sizes too big, my first thought is, a sparrow would consider it leftovers! :naughty:

All of this is not Hypothetically leaning towards this thread, but I am sure someone will soon rectify that. Wont they?

cheers Iain.

Right, I have read the whole thread, I understood the first few posts, then I couldn't understand the rest. What is a "supermarket ". ? Then it was about cooking. I think I went to a " supermarket " once but Matron had to take me out. :(

Are meals not supplied from the kitchen by a cook called Mrs Bridges or Mrs Patmore, assisted by various young girls from the village ?

Has anyone seen my valet, :)

• Like 2

Jeeze John! 4.34am? my clock only has one of those on it and thats in the afternoon,,,

Mark! read the topic title please, it's called Hypothetically Speaking, it may look like we have gone off topic but everything actually has a wayward link to Robins first post, even Johns last post about Stars, because Speedtriple mentioned Stars, now you have gone totally off topic, Upstairs Downstairs has nothing to do with this thread as it's a TV program, I now have the job of trying to link your TV comments to something to keep us on track,  scrolls back!!!! Iains reply! "When I see some of this Michelin food presentation"  TV link coming up! now I like watching TV programs about cooking but how many of you normal people, Note I said you not us! keep all those spices and all the other ingredients in our cupboards, I often see something being cooked and think I'd like to try that, but by the time I bought everything I need to make it, it would be cheaper to go out for a meal,,, when they come out with a program that uses ingredients that most normal people have in the cupboard I'll be hooked, trouble is I already know how to make beans on toast,,, :dance

I think I got away with saving the thread! carry on Troops,,,, cheers

• Like 2

I think I got away with saving the thread! carry on Troops,,,,  cheers

Indeed you have Frank :clap  It was the master stroke of the baked beans on toast, we can all relate to such gourmet delights. However, when did the Army become involved? I've re-read all threads and cannot find anything about troops! 

A "super-market" was Stalham market many years ago (see getting back to the Broads link of Robin's now) :naughty:  Anything and everything was sold there, sadly a real "supermarket moved in and the village lost its lifeblood IMHO.

I may be taken away in a straight jacket soon, but, hey, this thread proves that we can be diverse but still keep typing complete and utter drivel :naughty:

Shops will always be shops no matter where....wont they?

cheers Iain

Iain! your not paying attention are you, I sneaked the troops bit in because an Army marches on it's stomach and we were talking food,, :dance  and what do you mean DRIVEL, my comments are quite sensible for me,, :shocked

Frank,,,,

Ok so let me get this right.  We need a new store that has a bakery which bakes lovely artisan loaves. 

It would also sell smoked meats (and fish) and somewhere where you could get, if you so desired a Duck to go with your chips.  A good selection of bottled ales and beers to wash it down with. 

It could sell fuel too – but this is sounding very much like urm, Tesco :naughty:

No Robin! we wan't qualty food! and a pet section so I can get a new Fish, my Nemo has gone missing!

Dave! what you mean no Wall?? Thats the Greatestest Album Pink Floyd ever made, everyone should have a copy,,

Aaaaw! come on stop groaning, you aready knew I'd do it,,, :pirate  

Oh Lordy, Iv'e just looked at this thread again and it's gone way off topic, not my fault this time (makes a change) Frank seems to be the culprit, anyway, what do you think about the state of some of our country roads, what with the pot holes and everything?

Sorry, just thought I'd randomly mention anything really Lol  :naughty:  :kiss and I would never shop at Icelands, there back on track, I think  :shocked  

Grace

Ermmm! Gracie don't blame me I'm only following bits from other peoples replies, so Hypothetically, I'm actually the only one here thats staying on topic, as for pot holes I have one under the boat cooker where I keep all my pots and pans, and Country Road was a John Denver song and I think James Taylor did one as well, hows that for going right off topic and getting it back with just a few sentences, :clap

Maurice your getting good at this, :bow

Frank,,,,

• Like 2

as for Penguins, I'll never understand them, what's all that standing around about? And I don't like their uniforms.

Hing oan Dave, Penguins were made by McDonalds, were they not, not the Drive through place, the Biscuit wan. :naughty: Yer right though about the Uniforms. We don't need no education etc etc etc Loved that LP :naughty: Right back on to Hypodermics, the point being, potholes are to be avoided, ok Grace, point taken :kiss

Tesco's spoiled my fun at trying to shop at the old Stalham market, I saw things for sale there, that should have been tossed in the bin in the last century, no not the 20th, the 19th! :naughty:

Sooooo I say, Roy's should open mobile thingys all over the river Network. There back on thread! Phew! :clap

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Mowjo wrote,

Mark! read the topic title please, it's called Hypothetically Speaking, it may look like we have gone off topic but everything actually has a wayward link to Robins first post, even Johns last post about Stars, because Speedtriple mentioned Stars, now you have gone totally off topic, Upstairs Downstairs has nothing to do with this thread as it's a TV program,

I mentioned Mrs Bridges, an obvious link to the Broads and a sensible site for one of these new fangled Supermarkets,

Orf to shoot a few peasants two guns

Mark! I don't think Mrs Bridges would be very happy if you built a supermarket on her, I've heard of a few Bridges on the Broads like Potter and Wroxham, where abouts is the one called Mrs???

Grendel! you do know he didn't die??? after Beowulf ripped his arm off, he ended up in Yarmouth as a One Armed Bandit Tester,

Nothing to do with the thread I just thought I'd throw that bit in for Grendel,

Robin! Judi just solved my problem, she told me there are Fish in the Broads, Nemo went home!

Frank,,,,

• Like 1