HI all....

Shepster

Hello Shepster

Welcome from another newbie. I don't think anyone will be divulging their own personal hotspots but I would recommend checking out the fishing section on here. From what friends have told me the fishing is still good at the moment but they tend to fish the Horning area or the upper reaches of the Ant at this time of year.

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Shepster,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Sorry we do not fish but my brother in law has been with us and fished off of the boat at Stokesby and at Womak staithe.

I would check out the fishing section of the forum for any information regarding bait and any tips for those favourite places to fish. There tends to be plenty of fishermen in day boats on the Southern Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I think you will find the Pleasure Boat Inn (Hickling Broad) is fishing very well at the moment.

Lots of different beers and good food.

Set the rod up using a small lump of clay as bait. No hook, just wrap the clay on a small knot in the line.

Put the rod in a rod rest, and allow the clay to touch bottom right under the rod tip.

Wind up to about 3 inches from the surface and set the rod tip to about 5 inches above the water's surface so all in all only about 8 inches of line from rod tip to bait.

Go into bar and enjoy a beer or six.

That's the way to do it!

• Like 4

You are a little vague about what you would like to catch, or when you will be fishing. My sons, grandsons and myself had a week of fishing last year during the third week of October aboard Fine Gem from Richardsons. We arrived two weeks after the "salt surge". Result was that we only caught fish at How Hill and upstream of there, and at Horning and upstream of there. The fishing at these places was excellent all week, but down stream dead fish, mainly pike were everywhere.

Ron

Hi Shepster,

Hello and a warm welcome to the NBN.  I am not a fisherman myself, but was at Cantley at the beginning of the month and a guy fishing there caught a fair few and wasn't particularly impressed with his catch compared to other days there.

Hi Shepster,  

welcome from fellow newbies.

I've found the following spots by trial and error, they usually produce something. I guess it depends how serious a fisherman you are and what you'll be happy with.

Depending what you are after, I've caught good fish (decent sized roach) in the cut up to Oulton Broad, good nets of silver fish and up to fair sized perch in and around Rockland Broad. On the northern side, skimmers, silver fish and perch at Potter Heigham, Barton Turf and various spots along the Ant.

I have a special place for bream, shared to me by my dad, who fished the Broads regularly in the 60s and 70s, that remains with me, but I have heard that there is good bream fishing on the Bure near St Benets Abbey.

Wherever you go, tight lines!  :smile:

Thanks everyone for your help.... Fish1 

i will be boating :Stinky  from 17 - 24 October this year .... on board Distasnt Horizon 2 ....so please feel free to wave ... and if you catch me in any of the pubs (which is extremly likely)  :P i may even buy you a beer...... cheersbar

Cheeeeeeeeeeers........

• Like 3

Ron... ill have to drink that beer for you..... will keep you posted ..

:Stinky

Hi Iain.... see you have been boating for a while... i was 7 when i first went on the broads with my parents.... now aged 50 and still loving it.... third time in a year this coming October

=o)

Neal

• Like 1

Hi Shepster

I'm not a fisherman but i did see a good number of what looked to be decent sized fish taken up at Wroxham (through the bridge) one was a big pike

Up at Coltishall the water was so clear that we could see the fish, some big ones there as well

We even saw a couple caught in Richardsons Kingfisher Quay on friday night.

By the way welcome from me and have a great time

David