The Broads - then & now

Guest plesbit

Simon said:

I'm still very interested in this project but unfortunately my lack of mobility may mean that my input gets somewhat postponed!

When you do gain mobility back it will be a worthwhile project Simon and much safer than those planks of wood ;)

Have you thought about hiring a mobility scooter to help you get around Simon? :)

Pride do some super light weight ones that easily fit into a car boot and they can be a brilliant way of keeping your independance, I have just bought a Go-Go Elite model for my Dad, which cost me just over £600 on the net, as his needs are long term, but I think the Hire rates start from around £40 a week, or you can speed around Norwich on one from their Shop Mobility Scheme if you want a trial run for a small charge by the hour :):dance

Julz :wave

I have wheelchair and a wife! :lol:

We're also going to buy an automatic car so I should gain some independence that way. I'm not sure that wheelchairs, motorised or not, are going help much with this particular project because there is go to be a lot of faffing about trying to get the location, the focal length and other things spot on. I dare say it will involve being in the middle of roads, on the river and even scrambling about in the mud!

Thanks for the thought though.

Okay, so I'm slow on the uptake, I admit it :oops::oops: But I've only just caught up with this thread after so long.

Simon, if you want, I would be quite happy to be your "legs" and go out and take the photos? If you would like to collate the old pics you want recreated and then email them to me (PM for this), I'll do my best to go out and get the shots. You could do the Lightroom bit if you wanted to, though I'm quite happy to sort this too if necessary.

What d'ya reckon mate? Let me know..... :wave

Simon I am sure between us we can find at least two legs. :o

Please forgive my somewhat warped sense of humour.

But which leg do you have? Mine is the right one. I'm not sure what we'd achieve with two right legs, though I suppose it's better than two left ones!

Mark, a kind offer but I love taking the pics. I went up to Wells Next The Sea on Friday for a photo session. I thought it would help with my sanity but it didn't go according to plan and I wasn't discharged from the Norfolk & Norwich again until 2000hrs yesterday. Ugh, the surgeon reckons on a recuperation time of about 2 years - so it looks like things are going to be very, very slow indeed. Hopefully once I can get properly involved it will there will be a whole team of us working on this. I'm sure you'd be up for it!

• 1 month later...

Firstly Simon I hope you don't mind but I have borrowed your photo from your other thread for the purposes of then and now.

This photo is the rear of Shoals Cottage which is the only bit that has changed. The present owner extended the rear across the back making the whole house symetrical, the kitchen used to be rather a narrow afair running from the door towards the left. The car was a Fiat which was my fathers gift to his niece on her 21st circa 1951/52

The other two are 1965 probably in April and 1976 in August/september. Hasn't changed at all except for the colour, I remember my uncle cursing the river traffic and thier wash, it used to somehow get under the quay heading and wash away the soil until the lawn collapsed into the river leaving a hole behind the quay heading. Speeding is nothing new.

I have some other ones of the rear through the ages, and also looking the other way towards the river. If anyone is interested just shout and I will put them up.

Edited because I have just looked at the picture of the Fiat and realised that my brother is "driving" and he is only a little older than I.

post-133-136713518537_thumb.jpg

post-133-13671351854_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713518548_thumb.jpg

post-133-136713518797_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Barry, I have been back to the RAW image and re-processed it to make a superior final image. See below. As usual click for the higher res version.

I shall be looking to start getting started on this project in the near future. Anyone interested in joining me please let me know. We haven't had an NBN photo walk for a while and whilst I don't think this would be practical for a proper organised walk, it might be that one or two people might want to get together on some of this.

3511628586_1bdf00d3dd.jpg

Well in preparation for this Barry I went through the entire thread last Friday and picked out all the shots I thought I might be able to do something with. It came to about 5! The main problem is that with a great many of the pics there was not information for me to be able to work out where they were actually taken. That is clearly an area where your input would help immeasurably. Most of the rest were taken from the river, something neither of us are in a position to do just now.

I would think that prior to doing anything it might be an idea to sit down and have a little bit of a brainstorming session but I am not quite sure where you live or how easily you can get about. If it's any help there will be a (very) mini gathering of NBN folk next Wednesday The Bell in Salhouse for the evening quiz. That might provide an opportunity?

Hi Simon

The Bell Salhouse for a chinwag and raffle sounds good to me, I'm only at East Ruston (Stalham) so no big deal. I will go through the thread myself and try to bring the photos, at least mine, then we can have something to look at, I just need to know what time on Wednesday ? cheersbar

I just thought "Brainstorming" I ALWAYS leave my brain at the door of public houses, along with many others.

I just thought "Brainstorming" I ALWAYS leave my brain at the door of public houses, along with many others.

Pick it up again on the way out, eh? ;)

Not this time though Barry, it's quiz night so brains are not optional. I think I read somewhere else that Boaters Roy might be coming too which would make the team up to 5 strong this time - not to mention that with myself and Mark already going the NBN photo contingent will be well represented so I am sure Mark and Roy will have some suggestions ref this project. Heck even Brian's a closet photog! :lol:

Looking forward to it.

cheersbar

Did I have the wrong day/pub. Had a pint wandered around no Quiz, live music instead, couldn,t see anyone I knew so went home, where was everyone ?

Erm.... oops. :oops:

Sorry!

See here:

viewtopic.php?p=69800#p69800

There was no quiz as pointed out in the above thread and we postponed it to next week when the quiz is back. I thought it had been mentioned on another thread too but I must admit I cannot find the other thread in question so perhaps I imagined it? Certainly all the rest of us knew about it from the thread above hence why we weren't there. I guess we're not you're favourite people right now.

Sorry again.

I can't remember what's happening tomorrow never mind in two weeks, even my social secretary missed that one :love I am afraid I cannot make this Wednesday, a visit to look around Landamores at big lovely Oysters toooo good to miss.

A shame I had a few questions of my own about photography, still next time. cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi

I haven't been able to do as many of this as I had hoped to this year, but recently added a few more to BM. I thought that you might be interested in this one though as it shows one of the more dramatic changes around Broadland.

This is Lower Street in Horning pictured in the 1920s , looking up towards The Swan. The shop in the background on the right of the 1920s photo was (I believe) the Horning branch of Roys. It stood where the Bure River Cottage Restaurant now is. You can also see that the row of cottages in the foreground on the right have gone, replaced by modern shops and housing. On the left, the large building in the foreground (Maltings??) has gone ... although I do wonder whether the low wall we see today was actually part of that building, or at least built using reclaimed materials from it?

Click on the picture to see a larger version.

Carol

post-500-136713595618_thumb.jpg

Hi Carol

That is a classic then and now, many thanks for sharing with us.

Interesting point about the wall, it does look to follow the building line quite faithfully although it looks as if it has been rebuilt, probably as you suggest using reclaimed materials as these would be readily to hand.

cheersbar

• 1 month later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I`ve just got to say, there are some absolutely fabulous pictures here, and it makes me think the broads were definately at there best many decades ago. Still, as they say "that`s progress". But if thats progress, then i would prefer to go backwards. Regards to all, and keep on posting the excellent pictures, as it makes me realise what i`ve missed out on. Regards to all............. Neil.

What a fasinating thread have enjoyed it a lot.I saw the mention of the Pike in the Swan.I remember Bridget (the landlady at the time ,and for many years under Brewers Fare and when the pub was redecorated she decided to get rid of the " old fish "as she called it.This apparently caused some consternation with the regulars but she had made up her mind and " The Fish " now rests in the Museum of the Broads at Stalham.Worth a visit to see him alone :grin: I cant remember the story of his capture but I am sure someone can fill in the details of his "fame " cheersbar:party2: .

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested in seeing more "Then & Now" pics of the Broads I can thoroughly recommend the new David Holmes book .... The Broads Through Time. Over 180 old and new comparison photographs with fascinating notes about each. His previous books of old photos and postcards of Broadland are sadly out of print but do crop up on Ebay every now and then and are also highly recommended.

The current book retails at £12.99 but can be bought on Amazon for £8.44 at the moment ... although they are only showing 1 left in stock! I recieved a copy as a late Christmas pressie yesterday and it's already been well thumbed!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Broads-Through-Time-David-Holmes/dp/1848686420/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJE05HAJ4B37P&colid=2U2MNK4VGLZ3B

Carol