The Broads - then & now

Guest plesbit

• 4 months later...

We spent a week on the northern rivers recently and I managed to do another batch of new "Then & Now" pics. I've made a start on uploading them to Flickr - Wroxham, Horning and Coltishall so far with Potter Heigham and Stalham still to sort out. As always, the ones taken from the river have been the most difficult to recreate as I can only take one or two as we pass and positioning yourself in the right place on the river can be rather difficult ... especially in Horning! Those ones are not perfect, but they'll pass for now.

Here is a selection of the newbies. This shows the site of John Loynes boatyard c1920s and 2013:

10135259473_c575021f15_z.jpg
Loynes boatyard, Wroxham Then & Now by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

I wouldn't reccomend reading a newspaper in the road in the centre of Hoveton these days! The old postacrd dates from the late 1940s.

10135134305_ef7d694f68_z.jpg
Hoveton/Wroxham Then & Now by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Quite a sad Then & Now which shows some of the boatyards which have disappeared in Horning over the years - the original photo is also from the late 1940s.

10209186386_d0c56caafe_z.jpg
Horning Riverfront Then & Now 02 by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

One for Clive! As we passed Horning Staithe a boat pulled away giving us the rare opportunity to moor there ..... well, we couldn't not could we? Handily, it turned out that we had moored Crown Gem 1 in almost the same spot as Delight XII had been moored in the original c1960 postcard so I'm quite chuffed with the result!

10209088394_8910903ef3_z.jpg
Horning Village Staithe Then & Now 03 by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

On to Coltishall - this was the Lock c1908 and 2013

10160578725_74695eb9b5_z.jpg
Coltishall Lock Then & Now by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

And in the village of Coltishall itself, there have been some major changes since the original photo of the High Street was taken c1935:

10160568445_74f36416de_z.jpg
The Street, Coltishall Then & Now 02 by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

These are just a few of the new additions to the set with, as I said, more to come. The full Norfolk Broads Then & Now set so far can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28466597@N04/sets/72157633781760971/

Carol

• Like 2

Looking through some photo's taken from a holiday afloat in 1964, my

father took this and on the back he wrote "Buckenham Ferry 24/6/1964".

Can anyone pin point exactly where this was as my memory as a teenager

then must have been on other things! I can't place it at all as it doesn't

seem to match anywhere I know today!!

Warning... there may be more to follow!  :dance

Edited to add, I don't remember a caravan site either!!

post-199-0-23106400-1381657117_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Right....to throw cats in with the pigeons.......

Here is another photo which my father took at the same time and says, "Buckenham

Ferry on the river Yare on the way to Beccles 24/6/1964"

Now, my father was a pain in the neck for being so picky and was a perfectionist, so I

have to say that it can't have been WRC! I would doubt he got it wrong as the photo's

are in the order he took them and the next photo shows us approaching the Haddiscoe

cut bridge(New Cut). As can be seen, it is from the right direction.

Also, I have an old Jarrolds map dating to 1979 clearly showing the Ferry at Buckenham.

Any thoughts?

post-199-0-77754800-1382010507_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-67164000-1382010522_thumb.jpg

post-199-0-98199300-1382010791_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm afraid that dad certainly did get it wrong this time with photo number 1 as it is most definately what is now the Waveney River Centre. The postcard below is from the 1960s and you can see the Waveney Inn, the black sheds lines up behind it and the lamp posts which all correspond with your first photo.

post-143-0-09783600-1382024318_thumb.jpg

I can't be certain about the second photo however. It may have been Buckenham Ferry/Beauchamp Arms but Im not sure if I have seen any photos of camping or caravans there in the 50s and 60s .... I will have a look. I know there were caravans at Coldham Hall at that time.

Carol

• Like 3

Thanks Carol. Can't be any plainer than that! 

OOOH I would hate to have been the one to tell him he was wrong  :cry

There are 4 super 8 films which have been transfered to VHS taken by

my cousin(sat on the bow in the photo of the bridge) who's wife is still

alive and living in Hull. We need to get up there to see her as she's

quite ill and I fear that those films will disappear(Family problems!) and

that would be a great shame. Besides I might be on it  :dance

• Like 2

Hi Bill the new picture does show a passenger ferry of sorts and looking closely at the picture there is a chain attached to the front end.  

The Buckenham ferry was out of service by 1940 it was a chain ferry but the road leading up to the Beachamp Arms suggests a larger form of ferry, maybe it was replaced with the smaller ferry in your picture by the 60's,

If you could blow up the sign behind the cars it may give a clue to where it was.

Regards

Alan

Going back to your second photo.

In 1964 there was still a foot ferry operating from Coldham Hall, but I'm sure all the photos I've seen of that show it as a traditional rowing dinghy rather than the one seen in your photo. I'm not sure that the background would look right to be Coldham Hall anyway.

As Alan said, the chain ferry at Buckenham/Beauchamp Arms was discontinued during WW2. I'm really not sure whether a foot ferry was operating here after the chain ferry ceased, but thinking about it, I have a vague recollection of seeing something about a foot ferry at Buckenham in the 1960s but can't for the life of me remember where. I think I came across it when researching river crossings on the Yare and I have a feeling it was in a guide book. It was only a passing reference and I couldn't find any further info to confrim it anywhere. I have had a quick look in the contemporary guide books I have to hand, but couldn't find anything.

If it is Buckenham, then I wonder whether it shows the bank on the opposite side of the river to the Ferry Inn. I don't know what the track is like over there now, but looking on Google maps it looks as though it may have been a similar width to where the cars are parked on your photo and you can see the remains of the cut leading up to it. Perhaps they were just crossing to get to the pub in the 1960s? I'm guessing that there was access for cars across the rail track further up back then? It just seems more likely for people to be crossing on foot to the pub than the other way around to me.

post-143-0-49506100-1382038952_thumb.jpg

Hopefully someone may know for sure. It's interesting though and I will keep looking to see what I can find.

Hi Carol. Sorry for the late reply, but been on the boat for a few days.

I'm hoping if I can get my hands on those films, I'm hoping it will have

been filmed by my cousin which will answer many questions. As I

remember him, it seemed he always had the camera aimed at someone!

Ok then. More time on my hands today  :cool:

When we were moored at Thurne Dyke, we went into the pub

for a drink, as you do, and, shortly after, these 3 guys came in

and sat at the next table to us. Upon earwigging for a few

minutes, it became apparent that these guys were musicians

of some sort. So, engaging them in conversation, as you would

anyone else whilst on holiday, we discovered that they were

taking a break from recording an album to be released later

in the year. It was their first time on the Broads but wouldn't be

their last!

So, who were these guys?.............'The Ivy League'  :eek:

Mostly remembered for "Funny How Love Can Be" and 'Tossing

and Turning' This was a year before they became 'famous'.

Also that week we passed 'Len Fairclough'  and

Peter Scott. (see photo)

post-199-0-14647400-1382449239_thumb.jpg

I've done a couple of new variations on the "Then & Now" theme .... these are Norfolk Broads "Ghosts" in which the old is superimposed over the new in a photo-mashup type thingy! Inspired by Nick Stone's superb Norwich Blitz Ghosts (he has also done some Norwich City Ghosts too): http://www.flickr.com/photos/osborne_villas/sets/72157625836754972/

First up is the Roys of Wroxham ghost - 1934 & 2013. 1930s people casually stroll across what os now a very busy main road in the centre of Hoveton!

10516204936_24ae5d9e71_z.jpg
Roys of Wroxham Ghost by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

This is Stalham High Street c1920 and 2013 - the shops are still there, although no longer selling cycles. The far end of the street has changed rather dramatically though!

10516201046_ba5f6f59ab_z.jpg
Stalham High Street Ghost by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Carol

• Like 3