The Broads - then & now

Guest plesbit

Glad that you like them cheersbar

I don't specifically try to get "ghosts" when I do my Then & Now photos because it is so difficult to get all the angles, focal lengths etc. etc. near enough to be able to match it up with the original. Getting a close enough comparison for a Then & Now is often hard enough !!  I tend to leave it the people like Nick (Blitz Ghosts) who does that sort of thing far better than I could .... I don't have the equipment or the skill! Occasionally I do get one that lines up nicely, which is always a bonus, but it is more by luck than judgement!

I've done a few more and have another couple that I'm working on. This was the first one I did and it shows Lower Street in Horning c1920s and 2009. The row of cottages in the foreground on the right have long gone and Tidings newsagents now stands in it's place. Further back on the right is what was Gillard's Stores which later became the Horning branch of Roy's - it's now home to the Bure River Cottage Restaurant. The LX registration on the old car indicates that it had come from London.

8660560014_16c1eac2b3_z.jpg
Norfolk Broads Ghosts - Horning by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

A river based one ... Norwich Power Station 1970s and 2011 - the original photograph was taken by John Chesney. The power station was opened in 1926 after the original station in Duke Street had reached its full capacity. The coal which was needed to power it was transported by large coasters which were once a regular site on the Yare and Wensum. I haven't been able to find out exactly when it was demolished, but believe it to have been sometime in the 1980s.

9151361160_f24c5e777d_z.jpg
Norwich Power Station Ghost by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

This is the latest one I've done which is Loddon High Street 1920s and 2013. In the 1920s this was Lemans Universal Stores which apparently sold everything from hats to bacon! It's now a video rental shop and an estate agents.

10534472563_f9ede2cb22_z.jpg
Norfolk Broads Ghost - Loddon Lemans Store by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Carol

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

New member and don't yet know the etiquette so will begin with  'Good afternoon'.
An aunt and uncle took me for a one-week holiday In 1951 on Moore's 'Moorhen 3'.  Those few days were to be the catalyst to the rest of my life. I became a navigating officer In the merchant navy for a few years then came ashore and owned cruisers, mainly Freemans, until a decade ago. About 10 years ago, whilst idly surfing, I found 'Moorhen 3' , then renamed 'Puffin' ,up for sail. I contacted the yard and within a few days my wife and I travelled to see her at the invitation  of the generous owners. At the first sight for more than 50yrs, I could have knelt before her. Amazing to think that this boat determined the rest of my life and thus far, those of my son and grandsons.. I understand she may have since been destroyed In a fire.

Does anyone have a copy of the advert for the Moorhen class In Blakes 1950/51 brochure or any old photos (exterior and interior) or information about her please ?

hi jill-R, yes it is. I'm trying to find a copy of the internal layout that the blakes brochure would have shown. I've always said that I can recall sitting at a dinette making balsa-wood models whilst looking out of a large window. having visited 'Puffin' (but failing to take an internal photo) I now realise that 60 odd years of dreams have completely addled my memory. there's no dinette and no large panoramic window plus I would have needed stilts. I should never have spoiled my life by working.

• Like 1

hi zetetic

it might be worth looking on the flickr picture group

'boats on the Norfolk broads' as well.

if you post the question under discusions then some one may have some pictures of the inside.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/boats-on-the-norfolk-broads/

I think this is her and taken in 2011 so she survived.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supine39/6229855861/

and to a small boy, those windows might look big as in

a boat you sit much closer to the glass than in a house.

Hi DF and Zetec. This is a Vestina class 2 berth built and operated by E.C.Landamore Wroxham. They ended up at Jenners and upon it's collapse Dawncraft.

R Moore & Sons never operated through an agent until it came under the wing of Jack Powles as just Moore & Co

Fred

• 2 months later...

A slightly different Norfolk Broads Ghost. This is the Locks Inn at Geldeston 1957 and 2009. That's Susan Ellis with notebook in hand taking down the drinks orders, photographed by Ron Harrison. Apparently, she couldn't do the maths though, and would hand over the notepad to her customers at the end of the evening so that they could tot up their own drinks bill !!

12392161895_f45471636b_z.jpg
Norfolk Broads Ghost - Geldeston Locks Inn by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Carol

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Talk about losing track of things! :oops:  This was sent to me ages ago to add to the Then & Now collection and I found it again this week whilst going through what I had to catch up on for the website .... sorry!

Raisena at Horning in 1936 and in 2013:

attachicon.gifraisena_36_13.jpg

Carol

Yes Carol,

Do keep up for goodness sake!  :norty:  :hardhat:  Nah, you take awe the time you like. WE all can wait, can't we folks?

cheers Iain.

Sorry I just put a post on the wrong thread.

A free book download is available from Kobo e books titled "Pictures in colour of the Norfolk Broads with descriptive notes" by Jarrolds. Well worth a browse just for the descriptions

Sorry I just put a post on the wrong thread.

A free book download is available from Kobo e books titled "Pictures in colour of the Norfolk Broads with descriptive notes" by Jarrolds. Well worth a browse just for the descriptions

No worries Chris. I will delete the other one if you cannot do so, if that is OK?

cheers Iain.