Norfolk v Yorkshire!

NorfolkNog

With the demise of some of my favourite Yorkshire breweries, Websters, Ramsdens, Whittakers, Tetleys to name a few, together with the growth of good small breweries around the Norwich area and beyond, I have to say Norfolk. Was a different story 35 years ago when Watneys Norwich Bitter was all that was available in most places.

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 1

I too am a fan of Norfolk Ales...Uncle Albert is not! Norfolk beer turned Uncle Albert into a lager lout. To be exact it was 1976 in the Maltsters at Ranworth.
"Whad'll it be?" asked the barman.
"Pint of you best!" said Uncle Albert.

A pint arrives.
"What's it called?" asked Uncle Albert holding the glass up to the light.
"Witches Brew" said the barman as Uncle Albert took a long swallow and...spat it back into the glass.
"More like Witches P***!" gasped Uncle Albert as he bowked and spluttered his way to the loos!

From that day to this he drinks nothing but that amber fizzy crud...oh and rum...whiskey...port....wine...drain fluid...meths...you know, the usual stuff!

• Like 2

Hi John,

I think you will find there is far more breweries in the Yorkshire area, there is plenty of micro breweries up here.

Please have a look at the following link:-

http://www.realaleguide.co.uk/id229.html

Regards

Alan 

Correct, Alan.. about 40+ in Yorkshire and only 34 in Norfolk............. but, Howard's first post says:

"which is the Capital of Ale - Norwich or York"

Ossett Brewery is in  ahem .....  Ossett, not in York!  

Yes I think John was generalising a little! :naughty:  :) 

Agree with Trevor, Ossett are one of Yorkshires finest and have some superb pubs. This is one example, the Fox on Holgate Road in York. An old Victorian listed building which has been sensitively restored to a very high standard. In fact Mrs Nog and I were sinking a few in there yesterday cheersbar 

post-38-0-87931700-1412633650_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-37452800-1412633673_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonzo

You're right. Norwich Bear isn't exactly a brewery as such, it's re-badged beers by Norfolk Square which were produced for the Ketts Tavern. Redwell brew mainly keg beer. John also missed the excellent Golden Triangle and Chalk Hill based in Norwich and of course there are a total of 36 breweries in Norfolk all told. Superb stuff. cheersbar

Ossett Brewery is in  ahem .....  Ossett, not in York!  A very fine brewery who not only produce many varied brews but also take over "pubs" and turn them back into proper Pubs! The Brewery Tap is, most suitably, "The Tap" neat door!

Trevor, Hi

So I thought but somewhere (just spent far too long trying to find it again) I found a map of York with "Ossett Brewery" printed on it, in the SW of York I recollect.................

Thursday will see me drive to York in the morning and then drive down to Wayford in the evening. Now although for obvious reasons I cannot sample the brews of both counties on the day...but anyone got any suggestions for a drop or three of bottled beers so that I can compare and contrast at my leisure over the weekend?

Thursday will see me drive to York in the morning and then drive down to Wayford in the evening. Now although for obvious reasons I cannot sample the brews of both counties on the day...but anyone got any suggestions for a drop or three of bottled beers so that I can compare and contrast at my leisure over the weekend?

Good place in York is the House of the Trembling Madness down Stonegate. They have a very good range of bottled beers in the shop downstairs.

In Norfolk I would go for the likes of Humpty Dumpty, Grain, Panther or Wolf who all do very good bottled beers. Roy's have quite a good selection, strangely Lathams keep a good range of Humpty Dumpty.

IMHO a bottle of Humpty Dumpty Broadland Sunrise can give most Yorks beers a run for their money.

Enjoy! :-)

I like the look of that Dajen...even beer mats! I can't abide putting a glass down on a table without a beer mat! Just two things missing...A Timbo and a Maurice Mynah propping up the bar!

MM...I've got a bottle opener too!

Hi, I am Yorkshire born and bred, I remember the days when I was in the Navy I would back Tetleys Bitter and Barnsley Bitter against any beer on earth !  Sadly no longer, since spending time down in Norfolk/Suffolk and generally 'sarf' I have acquired a taste for the carrot crunchers brews notably Abbott , tends to get you drunk from the knees down, you feel perfectly ok then when you try and stand , the legs don't work !!

London Pride, Directors and Bombadier are also very agreeable.

'The beers better in Yorkshire '' was true for a long time but not so sure now.

• Like 1

I like the look of that Dajen...even beer mats! I can't abide putting a glass down on a table without a beer mat! Just two things missing...A Timbo and a Maurice Mynah propping up the bar!

MM...I've got a bottle opener too!

wrong 3 things missing  a timbo a  m-m and ME

would this be belper dave?