Bread Recipes etc.

grendel

As promised on the other thread, here is my bread recipe, I use the same mix for white bread, wholemeal bread, pizza bases and even cheesy rolls.

I use the mix when hand baking or bread machine.

in the machine :- in this order

325ml water,

2 tablespoons of milk powder

1 level tablespoon of sugar

5 tablespoons of oil

about 20g of fresh yeast (we got a whole lot going cheap at morrisons and keep it in the freezer - it still works fine, just move it to the fridge for a few hours before use).

then comes 3 cups of flour (that is american cup measures) for wholemeal use 30/70 or 50/50 wholemeal / white

to finish 1 teaspoon of salt.

then let the machine cook it on the sandwich setting for nice soft sandwich bread (3 hours).

if mixing by hand it will need kneading for 5 minutes, allowed to rise for 45-60 minutes, kneaded again, and made into rolls of put on trays or in loaf tins, left to rise again 45-60 mins then 25 minute bake.

this recipe has evolved from experiments, and because I was fed up with bread that was quite dry (the extra oil gives you lovely soft bread).

If it rises then flops reduce the yeast a little, if it doesnt rise enough, either a little more yeast, or its too dry so a little more water.

did I mention my Mum has cooked her own bread every other day for as long as I can remember (54 years at least) and her dad was a master baker.

Grendel

post-30501-0-93694100-1412104365_thumb.j

post-30501-0-11866800-1412104379_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...