Lincolnshire Day

Gramps

Hello All

Today the 1st October is "Lincolnshire Day" and has been as far back in time as 2002 although it does commemorate an event from the 1530s. How did forum "Yellow Bellies" past and present spend the day?

For me it was a bus ride to Skegness after a full english breakie that included Lincolnshire sausage and locally made Black pudding. On the journey I spotted at least 4 Lincolnshire flags.

A walk around Skeggie (Skegness to the uninitiated) revealed no sign of this special day. But not downhearted I found a watering hole and ventured in. There I was able to partake in a Plowmans lunch with of course Lincolnshire Poacher cheese and Lincolnshire Plum bread, all this washed down with a couple of pints of Batemans XB. 

Magic

Ron

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

Skeggie has always been bracing according to their adverts from the early days, I still have some badges from Butlin's from the 30's & 40's that my Grandmother had when they stayed in those old wooden huts.

I went with them to Ingoldmells in the 50's & 60's in various caravans at that time.

I always remembered the café by the sea wall, it had a widow where they served fish & chips, there was salt and vinegar pots on chains, but these were on short chains so you had to move the fish and chips from one to the other because the chains would not reach to the middle of the small hatch.

Great days, at first there was still barbed wire on the beaches and Butlin's was still closed from after the war.

Of course the train to Skegness stopped at Butlin's for all the holiday makers to get off the train before continuing into Skegness.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Iain. When I was a child I used to race my sister to the top of Steep Hill! But that was long ago. The thought of walking up there today is enough. Fortunately there is a small bus now.

I spent "Lincolnshire Day" In Cleethorpes. The weather was lovely.

Maurice

• Like 2

Some great memories you have shared there, never went to Butlins until we had Grandchildren since then have been several times. Funny thing is we quite enjoy it even though its only 14 miles from home. in fact we will be there with 2 of the younger Grandkids the first week of half term, home for 2 days then I get to chill out on the Broads with  Son and the other 3 Grandsons

The good old condiments fastened down, not very trusting some Lincolnshire folk. Would not attempt that hill these days Iian that is why we no longer visit the December Festive market that Lincoln is famous for.

The weather man on the local TV news gave a brief mention to Lincolnshire  Day but other than that no seems to know about it. News travels very slowly in these parts

Ron

• Like 1

We dont have many hill in this county but some are a challenge. The one in Lincoln is made worse by the cobble stones but well worth the effort to get to the Cathedral area.

Good old Cleethorpes, have not been there this year, usually have a couple of hours there when we go to the docks area for fish for the freezer, but they have been delivering to us this summer.

Ron

One of the questions the reporter asked people about "Lincolnshire Day" in the street was. Who was Mavis Enderby? There were many suggestions who people thought she was. In fact Mavis Enderby is a small village to the east of Horncastle in the Lincolnshire Wolds!!

Maurice

Not a mention of it here in Gainsborough, I spent the morning walking the beagles through Castle Hills Woods to take some film footage of Sweyne Forkbeard and his son Cnut's fortified long house. Today though I will be going through Nettleham and will pass the site of the event I think is being commemorated in Lincolnshire Day.

1530's would be the Lincolnshire Riots and the Pilgrimage of Grace. Culminated in some 20,000 people in the area just north of what is now the show ground at a hamlet called Grange de Lings.