new boat designs.

JimG

Some of the new boat designs are fantastic. Luxurious, spacious, all the mod cons etc etc.

None of them seem to have aft wells anymore though and I personally think this is a shame.

I wouldn't hire one with my kids, I wouldnt dare let them out of my sight.

Take the new Broadway for example. You may see a nice seat, I see a death slide (pic attached)post-30510-0-26609000-1412192867_thumb.j

just my opinion of course.

None of them seem to have aft wells anymore though and I personally think this is a shame.

I wouldn't hire one with my kids, I wouldnt dare let them out of my sight.

Take the new Broadway for example. You may see a nice seat, I see a death slide (pic attached)

just my opinion of course.

Jim, HI.

Sorry but I can't see the problem.............however, in my days, kids were roped to the boat and wore LSJ's...   :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Hi Dan,

just had a look at Solitaire Emblem.......now that is a well and a half. Not seen this boat before :-)

Hi HA,

I just think if you have young kids on board it's a lot safer with a well (feeding ducks etc), though I guess getting on and off is easier with the new bathing platform style rear.

Hi Jim, 

You can lock the door while you are underway, also there is a sign on the seat saying that it should not be used whilst the boat is underway. 

We have a design option  with aft patio doors but have not felt it would be worth building just yet..

• Like 2

I had a very uncomfortable time following a large forward steer boat last May heading towards Wroxham with two little girls on the stern.

post-534-0-28926300-1412207877_thumb.jpg

They had life jackets on which was at least one good thing, but one was sat on the transom with her legs dangling over  the back playing with and then letting drop one of stern fenders - all while going along with the stern door shut and her parents some 30+ feet forward oblivious to what was going on at the back of the boat.

I caught them up and pointed out what was going on .  I've often seen people of all ages doing silly things, but I don't think not having an after well is dangerous -  because as far as forward steer boats go they often have a forward well which is great to sit and see what's going on and be outside yet also anyone inside be able to keep an eye on as you cruise along.

What can be a bother with boats that have deep after wells is getting on stern on and not making the step, of slipping and ending up in a heap in the well.

Interesting this......Robin's picture for me illustrates exactly my point. If those girls been stood in a fairly high-sided well would the concern for their safety have been so great? Perhaps not.

Of course it will ALWAYS be the parents' responsibility to ensure children are safe and the front well on forward steer boats is perfect, it's just a shame (in my opinion) that this feature isn't available in other steering options.

Back to Solitaire Emblem mentioned earlier. This design is perfect. A large well with a gate for easy boarding/disembarking.

If there is one thing that we all know very well is that people just love to read and then ignore signs......

If something goes wrong, the sign either wasn't properly visible, not big enough, weren't enough of them, not in the right place, obscured by someone already sitting there, the dog ate it, tinkerbell made it vanish.

Sadly, too few people have the honesty these days to accept that they made a mistake, error of judgement or whatever you might call it. Ergo, it is rarely their fault and so it MUST be somebody else's.

• Like 2

.......Sadly, too few people have the honesty these days to accept that they made a mistake, error of judgement or whatever you might call it. Ergo, it is rarely their fault and so it MUST be somebody else's.....

That's a very sad indictment  Andy.

Unfortunately though, I think you're absolutely right.

A blend of claim culture and zero common sense.

Very young children should not be allowed on deck without an adult simple. Robin was right in my opinion to alert the crew about the kids on the back, We alerted a crew on a similar boat once and was told to mind our own business, at least we did what we could and the kids were soon moved back into the boat, 

I'm not trying to be a kill joy for kids but common sense and safety where children are concerned is crucial on a boat underway.

Sorry to go off topic but Robins pic made me angry, if one of the little girls had gone inside and the other was to fall in, how long before anyone was aware she had gone, makes me shudder at the thought

Grace

• Like 1

Unfortunately, people engage 'holiday mode' and, to them, all is well with the world. Perfectly natural really. The very real dangers of life afloat are often ignored or, at least, given low priority. I'm not saying that we should all tremble in fear, far from it. Active awareness of the dangers, however unlikely, is essential IMHO. Couple that with some common sense and you're on a winner. The trouble is...sadly, common sense isn't very common.

Water is like fire, it's a great servant but a cruel and heartless master.

As for the ludicrous 'blame culture' in which we find ourselves these days...don't get me started. :mad: People simply need to stand up and accept they have made a mistake rather than trying to blame someone else. Makes my blood boil. Sorry...didn't mean to rant.....

• Like 2

The photo in question was taken from a screen grab from my video Brinks Belmore - Weekend Special.  I just could not bear the thought of her falling in, the other girls going  and shouting she had and the instant reaction of the hirer being to stop (by going astern) of course does not bear thinking of.

I was pleased I did not get told to mind my own business, but the problem was as I went to catch them up – they thought they were going too slowly so kept speeding up. All was well in the end.

You can’t design out risk though and as ever with boats everything is a compromise of space.  Remove the seat area on the back of the new RC45’s and where does the engine go?

Adults are one thing taking risks on the water it is when you see their children doing the same.  As a child I was only allowed in the forward well of a forward steer boat with my mum, I was not allowed to help out when mooring or get off until the boat was safely tied up – and then only with a life jacket on.  I did not mind, it was just how it was – a rule.

As I grew I was allowed more freedom but those early drilled in rules have stood me well over the years and I always am cautious to this day.

As far as boat design goes some are inherently safety than others, obviously a boat with handrails which are easy to hold on to, wider side decks and a lower freeboard will make all aspects of moving around on deck safer compared to a sports style boat with narrow or nonexistent side decks, low rails and a high freeboard. 

One thing that has always puzzled me though is why many of today’s new boats don’t have better anti slip deck surfaces used it seems a bit hit and miss some being great some being a mere molded pattern which with the gel coat over it is not anti slip in wet conditions.

• Like 2

My preference is for boats with a large aft well, ideally with some comfortable seating, dining table as well as a helm station. A cool box for the Guinness .... The problem for boat designers is of course that this reduces interior space and the number of berths is reduced, the boats hire value diminishes and so the return on investment for the boatyard drops.

I do think that designs like the one shown in Jim's opening post would benefit from rails, at least a push pit rail to protect that rear seat, but again it comes back to cost and return. Adding a railing is expensive, they are prone to damage, the deck fixings become worn over time and water ingress becomes an issue .....

There are certain boats that are more suitable for parties with children in just the same way there are some boats more suitable then others for parties with elderly or infirm crew members or parties with dogs on board. That's nothing new, it's just a case of choosing the most suitable boat for your own needs. My biggest beef with many of the new designs is that they sleep six or even eight people but there is nowhere on board for that number of people to sit comfortably together.

Very young children should not be allowed on deck

Grace

Hi Grace,

Totally agree, which is why I think a well, be it forward of aft is important. It means the kids can get that outdoor feeling whilst being relatively safe.

I will add at this point that my kids are aged 9 and 7. If they were toddlers they wouldn't be out of my sight!!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Iain, I'm sure they will be absolutely fine, please make sure they wear their life jackets though  :naughty:

Seriously, this is why we prefer the bath tub or centre cockpit type of boats as the kids get the feel of being 'outside'  allowing us to be very close to hand and able to keep an eye on them

Grace