Riding the Broadland Wave

Broads01

I picked up Broadland Wave 2 yesterday and I'm out until Tuesday. I'm writing this in Wroxham, first time I've managed a WiFi signal! I'm on my own this time - couldn't convince my fiancee to come for a second trip of the year.

Lovely chug down the Ant yesterday and finished up at St Benedicts church. I made a spur of the moment decision to stop there and was very glad I did. Its a pretty, peaceful spot. Today its like summer. I'll make the most of it because I think rain is coming. I pootled to Salhouse this morning and stopped there for a while - beautiful. Off back downstream a bit this afternoon.

• Like 3

I like the look of that boat, popped on it in 2013 for a look and its great for two - how is she to handle and moor single handed?

I think it is great value for a 5 night break too! Oh has it still the small leather tub chairs or have they been replaced with something more comfy?

Have a great time.

Today the weather forecast was dry this morning and wet in the afternoon so I got up early to make the most of the dry weather. I headed for South Walsham first of all and chugged in to the inner broad before mud weighting in the outer. I was the only boat there I think! I carried on down the Bure towards Acle. Then I managed to stop somewhere I've never stopped before - Upton Dyke. The Dyke itself is so narrow as to be scary in case you meet traffic coming the other way. The location at the end by Eastwood Whelpton is well worth it though. It's peaceful and a complete contrast to the bustling Bure. I carried on to Acle and whilst I was there the rain well and truly came. I decided to make my second attempt at a space at Ranworth. It was hard work getting there as the rain made visibility difficult. This time a space! All the spaces were taken by about 445pm. Later there was the best rainbow I've ever seen. I'll try and post my photo.

Notice my failed attempt above at uploading a photo, the WiFi died on me.

Its a great value boat Robin. I chose it because its the only 2 berth Richardsons offer for 5 nights. I booked almost a year ago when there was a 10% discount so 5 nights for £176 - brilliant. The cabin is lovely and the whole boat has a spacious feeling, except the galley which is a postage stamp. The leather chairs have been replaced with some reasonable fabric ones.

I had a great time this afternoon as the summer kept on. I mudweighted at Hoveton Little for the first time ever I think. I always seem to find something new to do. I had a look at Ranworth for the night but it was full. This is the busiest I've ever seen the Broads in October -I think its because of the sun we had in September. I finished up at Ludham Bridge. I helped a couple to moor, evidently out for the first time and struggling. 'I forgot how to park it' the helmslady said. I think the hire operators rush the trial runs sometimes.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

It must be an east coast thing, I am at present on the East coast of Yorkshire (Gods country according to Griff :naughty: ) and Dongle reception is shall I say politely.bl***y depressing. At best it streams for 40 seconds then zilch. Griff and Alan n Donnygeoff could make a fortune here with their own Mobile Mast Network :naughty:

Sending any data is a challenge! :cry

cheers Iain

Gorgeous weather yesterday. I started with a walk at Ranworth before I set off. Enjoyed a very pleasant stroll to the nature reserve and the visitor centre by the non-navigable Ranworth Broad. The views there are lovely. I set off and decided to re-enjoy some River Ant in the sunshine, this being forecast to be the last day of sun. The Ant was delightful (obviously). I picked a wild mooring spot between How Hill and Irstead and tied to 2 trees - I'm not a rhond anchor fan. I like my coffee stops and this was one of the best. I carried on to Neatishead and stopped there for a while too. An unusual sight there - a hire boat is vacated by 3 chaps carrying bags, looking like they were on their way home. A few minutes later 3 older chaps turn up to the same boat and off they chug! I can only assume it was a shared family booking but the family didn't want to be all aboard at the same time (even though it was a 6 berth).

I returned down the Ant later having decided to head for Potter Heigham ( you may have noticed I enjoy getting the miles in). At Neatishead I was at the bottom of the dyke so it was a long reversing manoeuvre to set off. I'm well practiced at reversing and I love it! I had a brief break later at St Benets and then carried on all the way to Potter where there was plenty of space on the main river mooring. I had some dinner at the Broads Haven - not the most exciting pub in the world but the food was good value I thought.

Pretty grim weather today, even by October standards. I feel like I've gone through weather extremes on this visit. Pootled to Womack Staithe. I had a couple of interesting conversations there. I met a couple of chaps who stopped next to me on Silver Jubilee from Martham Boats and they told me how good the boat was. Next I met a couple on the syndicate boat Silver Cloud who told me how good their boat was! They get regular weeks aboard for just the cost of diesel when other members can't take up their weeks. I carried on to Ludham Bridge when the rain came and then to How Hill. I had a relaxing stop there. Later I stopped at Barton Turf but eventually wished I hadn't because by the time I reached Sutton at 5pm it was full. That said, I wasn't impressed with Limelight and Golden Horizon 1 who were taking up 3 spaces between the 2 of them. There was noone around to ask to move so I went to Stalham and stopped on the edge of Richardsons. Very pleasant meal at The Swan.

Great pictures/tale Simon.

I hired this very boat back in 1999 and it looked vey different inside back then.  Sadly I have no internals but it really does look nice and smart now & was very tired back then.  The new style of chairs are bang on in my opinion, and much better than the two previous styles they've replaced.

I love the Westward Sedan's, they look nice, handle well and you can stick your head out of the sunroof as you go if the weather's good!  For this reason I think it's a shame none of the bigger (and even better looking) 38ft survived or got any refit treatment :love

Dan

Tamar Bridge has survived Dan, which I'm glad about because I too have always liked the 38s even though I've never hired one. I remember looking aboard Benson Lady as was back in 1998, later Miss Tania at Thames Ditton. It made an impact on me somehow, something to do with the imposing presence of the boat I think.