The Waveney river centre

Mandybstorm

We are coming down for the October half term week and starting to think where we will aim to stay. We don't normally plan a route in summer but due to the colder weather  we are planning our route around electric plug in points. We have a couple of plug in fan heaters and we presume the kids will spend more time with gadgets or the tv plugged in.

Can anyone give their opinions on the WRC as we have never stayed here before? Is it suitable for two biggish dogs? Are  there grassy remote areas to exercise them where they won't offend or knock someone flying as they dash about like crazy things?

I see from the website there are various mooring options but the pictures are not that good so it is hard to tell which would be best for us. A quieter section would be best with easy and quick access to grass for the dogs to piddle on late at night. We do want electric though. Also I presume they have their own system for electric not the BA cards, does anyone know how this operates? Also it mentions a shop, is this reasonable or vastly overpriced? 

Thanks folks! Any suggestions for good winter morings with leccy are welcome, they must be dog friendly though!  

We're here at the moment, Mandy!

Look at the pics I took this morning and you'll see we're on "The Island" where Eddie the Fish is.

Leccy is available at £1 and £5 from pylons. They don't take BA cards but theirs are available in the shop which IMHO is reasonably priced and quite well stocked.

Two big dogs (and lots of little ones) were tearing around all morning and there's a hot swimming pool for the kids. £10 a night but that includes showers/loos and the wifi I'm using. We'll try the food tonight but the menu seems reasonably priced.   :wave

• Like 3

One of my favourite places to stop. For the facilities and possibly the best showers on the broads £10 is a bargain in my opinion.

Really enjoyed our night in the new restaurant. It was really busy and I was glad we booked-not sure if you would need to book?

Swimming pool is nice but it does the job.

I often find the electric posts from Rockland to Norwich occupied with either liveaboards or private boats that don't seem to go far!

• Like 2

Mandy

Loddon Basin is one of our favourite spots for out of season 'trogging'.  Using the immersion heater on MS, plus our small leccy heater we can generally get away with £1 a night on the post.

If you need any cards, then the pump-out office at Brooms sell them.

SueH

• Like 1

WRC is one of our 'go to' places when we are on the Southern rivers. You can book in advance via their website and choose with or without electric. The kids say the swimming pool has a lot of chlorine in it, but that doesnt stop their fun! The pub is great and you can get a decent breakfast at a great price in the poolside cafe.

I have to be honest and say that although i think the place is not as pretty as it used to be, you can`t fault the facilities, or the price. When you look at places like Gt Yarmouth or Norwich, you realise it`s actually good value, and with a well stocked shop, it has to be one of the most "convenient" places on the Broads.

Hi WRC is fine for kids and dogs, if you want to try booking, book on the angle(side on). Alan (money collector) has £1 cards if the shop tries to sell you £5 cards. Leccy available at Reedham. If at Loddon, Bridge Stores sell cards. Bramerton also has electickery, I think Richard at the chandlery sells cards. Coldham Hall also has limited leccy. Beccles & Oulton have VERY expensive leccy, £3 pounds extra per night!

paul

We were surprised to see that people who had paid to moor for the night had to still pay £1 for water.      Different if you just pitch up from the river and get water but would have thought £10 included water if you required it.      If you moor at The Wherry I am sure water is included if you need it.  

I have heard on a positive that the food in the pub is excellent so will be trying that some time soon.

I would not be too keen if dogs are not on leads.       I am really anxious if a dog off lead approaches me , having been mauled int he past.

• Like 1

I'll put my head on the block here &  suggest that allowing dogs off the lead on a site that promotes its environmental credentials is something of a contradiction. 

' I am really anxious if a dog off lead approaches me , having been mauled in the past.'  My wife and I too.

I'll put my head on the block here &  suggest that allowing dogs off the lead on a site that promotes its environmental credentials is something of a contradiction. 

' I am really anxious if a dog off lead approaches me , having been mauled in the past.'  My wife and I too.

Hi folks, we wouldn't let them run riot in a heavily populated area which was why i was asking if there was a remote area that would be suitable. We always try to get them into a quiet area so we can throw a ball and let them burn off some energy. We have a border collie! We prefer to find an empty field in which we can have good all round vision to see if anyone is approaching.

As a professional dog walker i am always very aware that not everyone loves dogs and i do my very best not to let my dogs upset anyone or chase wildlife. Chedgrave, how hill and st benets abby are all good for this as they have open, remote areas but they don't have electric so may not be suitable for our october and december visits.

For electric and dog friendly you can't beat surlingham ferry house, theres a cracking walk along the river round to the church and back past the ruined church and shooting club back to the pub where you let the dog run most of the way (it's just down to how they react to cattle), dogs are very welcomed in the pub as long as they are well behaved, if you have a dinghy it's quite a nice walk towards brundall on the postwick wharfe side too.

Chances are there will be a blonde husky/shepard/lab cross called winston comatose by the bar, say hi to us.....

I think the reedcutters at cantley can do electric as well if you are moored outside the pub and the walk around the marsh is good there too.

• Like 1