A Week on Royall Commander

Mouldy

Thursday 2nd October

I had already decided the plan for Thursday so, as usual, my wife took Harley for a walk, and I made a cup of tea and went for a shower.  I was amazed at how well the hot water retained its heat overnight and cannot ever recall being able to shower in the morning on any boat we have hired previously without first running the engine.  It must speak volumes for how Royall Commander had been built.

I was getting dressed when she returned and was as excited as the kids were the previous day when they had seen the kingfisher.  The reason turned out to be a low flying barn owl that had passed her at eye level just a few feet away.  I was quite jealous as the only barn owls I have ever seen have been in captivity.

I finished getting ready and emerged into the saloon.  Iain and Rachel were already up, much to my amazement.  It may have been something to do with the fact that I had promised to prepare another cooked breakfast!!  We ate grilled bacon, sausages purchased the previous afternoon from Rodney at Ludham, fried Broadland free range eggs, baked beans and I found some black pudding lurking in the fridge that I had forgotten to cook the previous Sunday all washed down with mugs of tea.  What a way to start the day!!

We cleared up and set off along Womack dyke and turned right down the Thurne just after 09:00.  My first planned stop was Ludham Bridge, where I knew I could top up the water.  In turn, the rest of the crew showered and dressed.  The sky was brightening up, so we winched the roof open to enjoy the warm September weather.

We turned back onto the Bure and chugged past St Benets Abbey, where several boats were moored.  I have never stopped there in all of the years I have been on the Broads, so made a mental note that it will feature on the itinerary on my next visit.  A few hundred yards further on, we turned right onto the Ant, my favourite Broadland river.  We joined a convoy of boats approaching the bridge, who had all slowed to allow several craft pass through from the opposite direction.

With only the slightest breeze, holding station was relatively easy and we soon navigated the narrow passage under Ludham Bridge.  There was space at moorings by the water hoses to the side of the Bridge Stores, so I turned Royall Commander round and moored port side to the bank, making refilling with water easier.  There was an elderly couple in a smart looking Silverline bathtub just astern, who were using the hose when we arrived, so my wife took Harley for a walk along the moorings, the kids inevitably headed for the shop and I waited to use the hose.

I spoke to the lady who was standing on the bank at the back of the Silverline craft and it turned out that they used to own a narrowboat, but had sold it a few years previously and now visited the Broads every year for a couple of weeks, always using the same boatyard.

Soon, they had finished with the hose and I filled our tank.  The wife returned with the dog, so I stayed on board with Harley whilst she went to find Rachel and Iain and buy something for lunch.  They all returned a short while later and when aboard, I went to take a couple of pictures from the bridge.  A couple in Royall Satin had moored between us and the bridge and we exchanged a few words before we cast off, turned around and headed towards How Hill.

Iain was at the helm again, allowing me to take some photos as we approached How Hill mill.  I never tire of the view with the house on the hill to the right and the mill on the left and I hoped to return there later in the day for our overnight mooring.   We chugged further up river and through Irstead.  Surprisingly, one of the riverside houses was looking a little worse for wear, but as we passed, it was apparent that a new house was being built further back on the plot and I wondered if the old one at the river’s edge was soon to be demolished. 

As we approached the entrance to Barton Broad, an iridescent blue flash passed from left to right in front of the boat.  That was to be my only brief sighting of a kingfisher for the holiday.  We bore left at Barton and headed for Neatishead staithe to moor for lunch. 

Nothing passed in the opposite direction as we navigated the narrow stretch of river from near Gaye’s Staithe to Neatishead.  Iain went aft to untie the dinghy and walk it to the bow, whist I manoeuvred backwards into the mooring.  There were only a couple of other hire craft there as well as a couple of private boats and with the aid of the bowthruster we were soon tied up.

I fancied a stroll, albeit a short one, so we locked Royall Commander up and walked into the village.  Now run as a co-operative, the village shop had been decorated and was much better stocked than when we were last there.  We bought some sausage rolls, crisps and pasties for Friday lunch and returned to the staithe, where a couple were mooring just in front of us.

We lit the oven and cooked a couple of pizzas, purchased earlier from the shop at Ludham Bridge and had lunch.

The weather had turned and there were a few spots of rain in the air as we left the mooring a little later  Progress back to Barton Broad was slow as we followed four people (possibly from The  Nancy Oldfield Trust) who occupied two canoes that had been lashed together with a couple of poles.   They made slow and erratic progress, paddling from side to side of the narrow river, leaving me no option but to follow until the river opened onto Barton Broad.

We headed past the fork to Barton Turf and on up the Ant.  I wanted to show Rachel Hunsett Mill, as she had seen it on several Broadland postcards.  I hadn’t seen it since it had been extended, so we chugged up the river to the bend where the mill is situated and she took a few photos before we turned round and headed back downriver.

There were a few saileys on Barton Broad as we re-crossed it, heading back past Irstead and on to How Hill.  I was hoping that there was space at the end of the BA moorings, opposite the mill and I was happy when I saw that there was.  We tied the boat up and got ready to walk round the Nature Trail at How Hill House.

Suitably booted, we all headed along the bank to Toadhole Cottage, only to discover that we weren’t able to take Harley around the trail.  Obvious, I suppose, when you think about it.  My wife said that she would take Harley for a walk and go back to the boat to do some more sewing.  I offered to go with her, but she assured me that she was happy to sit quietly aboard and sew.  I guess I wasn’t wanted, then!!

Iain, Rachel and I went into the cottage to pay the entrance for the trail and were informed not to use the usual entrance as there were wild ponies grazing tin the first field, but to enter through a different gate.

To be honest, in all of the times I have visited the Nature Trail there, I have never seen any wildlife that I haven’t seen outside, on the river and this visit proved no different.  We followed the map, visiting the two hides, one at the edge of the scrape and the other overlooking Crome’s Broad and spent several minutes looking quietly from both and observed nothing.  No matter, it was a pleasant afternoon and we took some photos as we walked along the various marked paths and boardwalks.  It started to spit with rain again as we exited the nature trail, near How Hill House and walked back down the path to the river.  I called into Toadhole Cottage again to buy some tubs of Ronaldo’s ice cream, Butterscotch for Rachel, Chocolate for Iain and the wife and Stem Ginger for me.

When back on board, the wife told me that when she had left us at the near the cottage, she had followed the path back past the boat and carried on walking for 15 minutes before turning round and retracing her footsteps back to the boat. When back she had picked up her cross stitch which had kept her occupied whilst waiting for us to return.

I started to prepare dinner, gently browning a dozen more of Rodney’s pork sausages, before tipping them into a casserole dish and adding onions, carrots and a couple of packets of Colmans Sausage Casserole mix, that had been added to the required amount of liquid, half water and half Guinness.  The oven had been heating and by the time I had finished the preparation, it had heated sufficiently for me to place the casserole dish inside. 

We watched TV for a while and the boat filled with the smell of sausage casserole as it cooked.  I boiled some new potatoes and broccoli and we sat down to eat just after 19:00.  It must have been okay as everyone’s plate was cleared.

With the washing up done, we set the table up for another couple of games of crib.  Although the weather had not been as good as the two previous days, it had been enjoyable none the less and we retired to bed soon after 22:00, albeit with some sadness as Friday was to be our last full day afloat.

More to follow . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 7

I couldn't put it any better, Alan, so I've repeated it!  :clap

Thanks for the kind comments.  This is the first time I have ever written up a holiday report, so it matters to me that others have taken the time and trouble to read it.

There may be a delay in me posting the last couple of instalments  as I have a busy weekend in store and probably will have to type up Friday and Saturday in my lunch breaks at work next week.  I promise that they will be done and should be able to post the next one on Tuesday morning. 

Malcolm

• Like 5

I see many of my previous years Broads holis being written by you Malcolm. Altering Crib for Gin Rummy  and other such card games. How nice to see how the Broads can be enjoyed the way you are/have done it. 

Nae rush for the rest of your blog, we will wait!!! As your Iain is spelt my way, I keep seeing him as me  :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Friday 3rd October

As usual, I was awake around 06:30, so I got up and made a cup of tea.  Despite my efforts not to disturb the wife, she must have heard me trying to creep about and got up too, got ready and took the dog for her morning walk.  It was still quite dark outside, but I could see that it was misty and hoped that it would lift early and not spoil our last full day of the holiday.

I went for a shower, got dressed, went into the saloon and took down the curtains from the windscreen and windows at the back of the sliding roof, folded and stowed them neatly in the drawer then wiped the condensation from the inside of the windows with a leather, opening a couple of windows in the process.

By now, the wife was back from her walk with the dog and went for her shower .  There were signs of movement from the cabin at the sharp end, too.  I wanted to be away from our overnight moorings by 09:00 so we could be at Ranworth for about 10:00.  In the past I had found that it was the best time to get there and try to get a mooring, just as the overnighters were beginning to depart.

We had already decided that breakfast on Saturday would have to be at McDonalds in Wroxham, as we had to be off the boat by 08:30, so we prepared our last breakfast on board.  Rachel had porridge again and the rest of us had toast and marmalade.

By now, it was light and the mist was lifting.  While the others did the washing up, I went outside with my camera to take a few shots in the early morning sunshine.  Royall Commander looked superb, pictured with the mill in the background on the far bank.

We cast off around 09:00, as planned.  We winched the roof open and chugged back down the Ant.  There was no queue waiting to navigate through the bridge, so I lined the boat up, opened the throttle a little and went through.  It occurred to me how daunting negotiating that bridge must be for a novice crew, starting out from Stalham with just a few minutes familiarisation with the boat, especially if there were several craft waiting to go under it as there was the previous day.  At times, it can be testing for even an experienced skipper.

Upon reaching the junction of the Ant and the Bure, we turned right.  With the early morning mist now gone, it had turned into a beautiful day.  I could see the tops of six saileys approaching over the left hand bank and as we followed the river to the left, there were three of them abreast, selfishly taking up almost all of the width of the river.  None of them signalled what side to pass, so I had to guess which way they were going and moved right over to the left hand bank to allow them to pass.  The other three were spaced out more with more consideration for other craft and slipped silently past.

We arrived at the head of the dyke leading to Malthouse Broad and turned left, hoping that there would be space to moor.  As the dyke opened into the Broad, it didn’t look hopeful, but a couple of cruisers cast off so I headed for one of the spaces that had been created to the side of the moorings.  As we moved into position, Iain pulled the dinghy to the bow and I reversed into the space, between a private Alpha 42 and a Richardson bathtub.

Safely tied up, I noticed the nearest hose wasn’t being used, so filled up with water for the last time and wound the pipe back onto the reel.  We closed the roof, locked the boat up and all disembarked, heading for the church.

It had clouded over a little for a while, but as we arrived at St Helen’s the sun was shining and the sky was blue, providing the perfect backdrop for the church.  The kids disappeared inside, anxious to climb the tower, I followed, although not up the tower and left the wife outside with Harley.  I took a few photos, had another look at the beautifully decorated Antiphoner, displayed in a glass topped cabinet just inside the door and marvelled at the skill of the men who had created it all those years ago before re-joining the wife outside.

We wandered round to the tea room at the back of the church and waited for Iain and Rachel to join us before ordering some refreshments.  The weather was so good that I couldn’t resist heading to the top of the tower myself, so my wife and I left the dog with the kids, re-entered the church and started to climb the narrow stairs, only to have to descend them again to let a couple down.  They told us that there was no-one else up the tower, so reassured that there would be no re-occurrence, started the climb again.

The effort was worthwhile, as the view was stunning.  I have been up there before, but cannot recall ever being at the top in such superb weather.  We took a few photos and returned to the bottom to re-join Iain and Rachel, who were waiting with Harley.

We wandered along Broad Road, behind the church and to the entrance to the board-walk leading to the conservation centre.  Once again, the dog wasn’t allowed, so my wife volunteered to return to the boat and do her sewing whilst the rest of us visited the centre.  We followed the board-walk however, found the visitor centre to be closed when we arrived, so returned to the boat, via the shop where we bought some ice-creams.

Iain was keen to get to our overnight stop at Salhouse, so he and Rachel could at last sail their dinghy.  By then it was about 12:30 and I estimated that it would take the best part of two hours to chug slowly to our moorings.  We cast off and he re-secured the dinghy to the aft of the boat.  I took a lingering look back across the broad at the staithe that looked so good in the autumn sunshine.

We turned left at the end of the dyke, back onto the Bure and past the moorings at Cockshoot Broad before cruising through Horning.  As expected, all of the moorings in the village were occupied.  I can’t remember the last time that I have moored there, it was so long ago.

My wife lit the oven and warmed up the pasties and sausage rolls bought in Neatishead the previous day and cooked an omelette for Rachel using the last four eggs, some cheese and ham that was left over.  Iain munched on his sausage roll at the helm, the rest of us relaxed in the sun, unable to believe how lucky we had been with the weather.

The entrance to Salhouse loomed into view and we entered the Broad and looked for where we wanted to moor.  Satisfied that we had a prime spot, I took the helm whilst Iain pulled the dinghy to the side of Royall Commander whilst we moored.  With the boat secured, my wife took Harley for a walk into the village to buy some vegetables that we needed for the evening meal, Iain and Rachel went off in the dinghy, a slight breeze having picked up sufficiently to allow them to sail it and I attached the telephoto lens to my camera and sat on the bow to photograph the plentiful wildlife.

The wife returned with the dog sometime later and we had a cup of tea.  She picked up her cross stitch, I did a couple of crosswords and we spent our last afternoon afloat relaxing in the sunshine.  I lit the oven and when heated, wrapped the chicken in foil and put it in to cook, then ran the engine for a while to ensure that we had plenty of hot water to shower in the morning.

The breeze dropped and Iain had to row the dinghy back across the Broad.  I helped him stow the mast and sail before we sat down together in the saloon and watched TV for a while.  None of us wanted to close the roof, but by 18:30, not only was it getting chilly and dark, but the midges were biting, so reluctantly we closed the roof for the last time.

I cooked carrots, peas and boiled some new potatoes to go with the chicken and we sat down for our meal just after 19:00.  Pudding consisted of the ice creams purchased from How Hill on Thursday afternoon, that had been in the freezer compartment of the fridge since.  We cleared the table and washed up before having our last couple of games of crib.  My wife and I were surprised at how enthusiastic Iain and Rachel were and how competitive they had become since learning to play the game.

It was an early night for all of us, with an early start in the morning, so hot drinks all round and we gloomily went to our cabins for the last night aboard.

More to follow . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 6

Saturday 4th October

I woke early on Saturday morning even before that alarm that I had set for 05:45 had sounded.  My wife stirred too and we both reluctantly slipped out of the bed in the aft cabin of Royall Commander that had provided comfortable sleep for the last seven nights.  She pulled some clothes on and readied herself to take Harley out, as usual and I put the kettle on to make a cup of tea before going for a shower.

I had mixed emotions.  The feelings of excitement and eager anticipation I had experienced the previous Saturday morning had been replaced by an odd mix of sadness and satisfaction, sadness because the holiday that had been booked over fourteen months earlier was almost at an end and satisfaction because we had all had a fantastic holiday.  The weather had been far more clement than we could reasonably have expected, the boat had been faultless and comfortable, we had eaten well and consumed a few bottles of wine, cider and lager to personal preference and the dog hadn’t fallen in!

I heard the wife and dog return as I was finishing my shower.  Dried and dressed, I emerged from the cabin to find a hive of activity in the kitchen, where my wife was packing up what food was left over which, to be honest, didn’t amount to much.  Iain was sitting dejectedly looking through the windscreen and across a still Salhouse Broad, whilst Rachel busied herself with some packing.  I leathered down all of the windows, inside and out, wanting to return the boat as near to the condition we picked her up in as possible.

Soon it was Iain’s turn to pack, so Rachel and the wife went out the back of the boat to feed the ducks, swans and coots with what was left of the bread and a couple of bags of flaked maize that we had taken with us.

In turn, the rest of the crew showered and got ready.  The rising sun had turned the sky the most amazing shade of red, so I grabbed my camera and went outside to take a few more shots.  For some reason I remembered the old saying ‘Red sky at night, Shepherd’s delight, red sky in the morning, Shepherd’s warning’ and wondered if the spell of fine weather was at an end.  I returned to the boat and fitted the 17- 40mm wide angle zoom to my SLR camera, before putting it safely back in my camera bag, ready to take a few shots of the boat interior after we had cleared all of our belongings.

Packing complete, we cast off at about 07:30, right on my target time to arrive back at the boatyard for 08:00.  Rachel mopped the decks, the wife tidied and I chatted to Iain about next year, as he wanted to book again before returning home.

We chugged past a few boats moored along the Bure, at both wild and BA moorings.  A few fishermen were already about and I wished that we were staying a bit longer, jealous of the fact that their holidays were still ongoing.  Passing Wroxham Broad, I knew that it wouldn’t be long before riverside properties took the place of trees and shrubs at the rivers edges and sure enough, all too soon, we were in Wroxham.

We followed the river round a couple more turns and I recognised the glamorous new blue riverside house on the right that was near the entrance to the dyke leading to Royalls yard and turned into the dyke.  The empty yards of Sabena Marine and the now overgrown site where Mike Brister’s yard had been, remain stark reminders of just how many yards have closed over the years.

I noticed a vacant space along the quay heading when back at the boatyard, so began to manoeuvre into it, but was spotted by Nigel and he indicated for me to pull up alongside the fuel pump, cunningly disguised in a metal cabinet.  He refuelled Royall Commander and carefully reversed into the spot that I had previously intended to moor at.  I went to the office with him to collect my car keys.

There were already several people swarming over the boats, washing them down with soapy water, clearing dirty bed linen etc. and readying them for the new hirers.  Small wonder that they are always so immaculately presented.

The car was moved to a space nearer the boat and I started to pack the boot.  The wife looked after the dog whilst Iain and Rachel ferried what seemed like a never-ending succession of bags, which I carefully arranged in the (fortunately) capacious boot of my car.  Relieved, I had somehow managed to squeeze it all in, with just a couple of small shopping bags to go in with the passengers.  I went to take my photos of the boat interior, as planned, but then realised that my camera bag was buried in the depths of the car boot, so had to settle for a few shots with my digital compact camera instead.  Doh!!!

The wife and kids got into the car and I returned to the office to enquire whether they would accept two dogs on a boat, as Rachel and Iain wanted to bring their dog next year.  I knew from the Hoseasons brochure that they only allowed one pet, but was hopeful that they were able to make exceptions.  Unfortunately, but as expected, they will only allow one pet.  I collected £26 back from our fuel deposit, thinking that £104 for fuel wasn’t bad considering where we had been and took my leave, thanking Nigel and Sara and saying that I hoped to be able to return in the future.

I went to the car and told the kids about next year.  Iain was gutted.  He really had wanted to book before we left and almost became a grumpy teenager again.

We set off for the short journey to Roys car park and wandered over to McDonalds for breakfast.  I spotted the captain of the Brinks craft we had last seen speeding by at Thorpe the previous Tuesday as we headed into Norwich.  He was sitting inside with his family over breakfast and I said hello.  They had just finished their holiday too and he told me that they had been all over the network, visiting Norwich and even Beccles.  His fuel bill had been £260.  I hadn’t the heart to tell him that ours had been much less than half. 

We collected our food, bade him goodbye and went to sit at the back of the King’s Head, watching the river, jealous of those folk still afloat and reflected on our week away, sad to be leaving, but grateful that we had such a brilliant time.

Breakfast consumed, we visited Wroxham Barns, where Rachel succeeded in spending even more money, before heading home.

Aside from some heavy rain we ran into around Newmarket, it was an uneventful journey and I pulled up outside our house on the outskirts of Northampton at about 14:15.

Sunday 5th October

Iain and Rachel stayed with us on Saturday night and on Sunday we did some research on the Internet to find a boat for next year, at a boatyard that would permit two dogs.  I have a preference for the smaller yards, where the boats are outwardly better maintained, which does restrict the options and after a while settled on one that wasn’t ridiculously expensive, met our requirements and according to the Website, was available.

Monday 6th October

I phoned Summercraft and booked Grande Girl 1 for one week commencing Saturday 26th September 2015.  The deposit has been sent, Iain has cheered up again, grumpy teenager mode gone (which is just as well as he is 26) and we are all looking forward to another Broadland adventure next year.

Just less than fifty weeks to wait, then!!

• Like 8

Thank you for a lovely holiday tale, we haven't been able to get away this year, it was so nicely written I imagined myself there with you every step of the way

We know that heavy hearted feeling on the last night and the jealousy you feel when you see other people still on their holidays and you have to go home, I almost need therapy Lol  

Thanks again, smashing read  :clap

Grace

• Like 5

Thank you for a lovely holiday tale, we haven't been able to get away this year, it was so nicely written I imagined myself there with you every step of the way

We know that heavy hearted feeling on the last night and the jealousy you feel when you see other people still on their holidays and you have to go home, I almost need therapy Lol  

Thanks again, smashing read  :clap

Grace

As before, I couldn't put it anyway better than Grace now has!   :clap :clap :clap

As we say up here, that was Pure Dead Brilliant :clap  :clap  :clap  I can relate to the returning to Wroxham many times, with a face like stink as they say, after our holiday.

I hired with Summercraft in the early 80's, their boats are always beautifully turned out, even at the end of the season. I am sure you will be well looked after there.

I felt ill at the thought of that other crews fuel bill from Brinks £260 if for a week, they must have had the throttle full on all the time!

Like Grace and others have said, a cracking read, and look forward to your next trip. Oh, yes, come on, PICS we want pics please!

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Once again, thanks for all of the kind comments, it is good to know that my posts have been read and enjoyed.

As far as pictures are concerned, I tried adding one to the first post in the thread and it was lost in the process.  I thought that as a new member, I didn't have the relevant privileges to add pictures, which is why I uploaded a few photos to my Photobucket account and added a link in another post.  

I had resized the image before attempting to upload it, so I will try again when I get home in the morning (currently at work enduring another nightmare shift!!).

My wife and I have hired from Summercraft before and even had Grande Girl 1 back in 2004, followed by one of the Gardenia Girls in 2005 and Grenada Girl in 2006 and 2007.  I have always found them to be immaculately presented, clean and comfortable and I have absolutely no issues with returning to them again.  I must confess that after discovering the advantage of a bow thruster this year aboard Royall Commander, I will miss one next year, but having managed previously, I dare say I will manage without one again.

• Like 1

"Iain was at the helm again, allowing me to take some photos as we approached How Hill mill. I never tire of the view with the house on the hill to the right and the mill on the left and I hoped to return there later in the day for our overnight mooring. We chugged further up river and through Irstead. Surprisingly, one of the riverside houses was looking a little worse for wear, but as we passed, it was apparent that a new house was being built further back on the plot and I wondered if the old one at the river’s edge was soon to be demolished. "

The house your referring to is Ice House Dyke Irstead, the house has been empty for several years having previously been occupied by an old Lady who had lived there alone for many years and had basically allowed the house to fall into disrepair. Over a 3 year period several people put offers in on the house but when surveys were carried out, they walked away. The general thought was that the house could not be saved but even though it is not a listed building the BA and English Heritage wanted the building saved because it was "an Iconic Broads Building". At this point a friend of mine stepped in to make an offer and a plan has been formulated to save the house. The structural work to make the property safe has been carried out, i.e. new foundations and underpinning and the building is now safe from any danger of collapse. As part of the scheme to save the house, the owner has been granted enabling planning consent to build a holiday let in the grounds of the property, when this is complete he will move into that to enable the main works to be carried out on Ice House, it will take a couple of years for the full renovation to be completed but when the work is done it will  again be the Iconic Building it once was. The chap in question is a highly skilled craftsman and the standards he works to are exceptional so I am certain that the outcome will be fantastic.

Dave

Many thanks for the update, Dave.  Not having been on the Broads since 2007, it was quite a shock to see how dilapidated the building had become since I was last there.  It always was one of those Broadside homes that you dream of owning and it will be good to see it restored to it's former glory over the coming years.

As an aside, I didn't get time to try to upload any more pictures yesterday morning.  After a taxing nightshift, my bed was calling!!!  I will try again when I get home this morning.

well dunn mouldy ...........good rite up 

enjoyed that ............................................. :clap

remember ....i,m watching ................................................!!!!

ye rin the clear .......................