North Yorkshire a week away.

BroadScot

After Keith (CooWee)kindly asking if I had a nice week in N Yorkshire, my reply is, yes thank you, but with reservations.

Bridlington by the looks of things, is trying to reinvent itself, the town centre is like a building site, which makes parking even more difficult than normal.

The weather was mixed to say the least, well in truth, it was b....y awful at times. It did not stop SWMBO melting the debit card down, at the Hornsea Freeport though. Always worth a visit, but sadly a lot of the units are closed there.

On our way there on Thursday, my new car decided it would show me a bright yellow spanner sign en route. So I gingerly parked the car at Tesco in Hornsea,and phoned my home garage. Told to phone RAC Motability, within 30 mins a lad was plugging in the computer ( oh how things have changed ) and then proceeded to give the new engine of diesel persuasion the awfiest blootering of revs, this apparently happens with diesel cars if you drive them too gently, they bung up wi sooty deposits!

Beverley has a new layed doon parking area,in the town centre, but sadly the disabled parking signs are very very small indeed. We took a run out to Flamboro' Head Lighthouse. To see the "Dover Cliffs" that will be used for the new Dads Army film.

Dongle reception on my caravan site was poor, at times no workie at all. So watched TV without BBC channels (atmospheric probs apparently on site with signal) and a DVD.

Basically, if you thought Norfolk can be bad with wifi reception, N Yorks is no better! 

Now the new jallopy, for anyone like me wi iffy legs for getting in and out is pure dead brilliant, thank you Mr French motor company. :clap Have to say also, the diesel engine is very smooth and quiet too.                    

So there you go a quick six days in North Yorkshire. Never got on to the moors sadly, no point, with the rain stoating down.

The modern caravan is a home from home, well nearlly, the seating is not good if yer back likes good support.

I am though, delighted to see that the forum meet went well, congrats to all concerned.

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

"and then proceeded to give the new engine of diesel persuasion the awfiest blootering of revs, this apparently happens with diesel cars if you drive them too gently, they bung up wi sooty deposits!"

We are told hoof Moonlight Shadow when on Breydon, for that very reason, clears the cobwebs so to the speak.

Sorry the weather wasn't always great, but glad you are pleased with your Frenchie, "Vive la France," mon ami. (I am glad I checked that with Lisa, Iain you nearly got mon aime, my beloved)

Hope your debit card is out of intensive care by now! :)

• Like 1

Shame about the rain Iain (spelled it right this time ) after all fine weather we've had lately

Last time I was in Brid it looked like it was needing a little TLC

North Yorkshire is a lovely area when its fine but when it rains it rains

Glad you had a good time anyway

David

• Like 1

Brid has major parking probs and seem to have lost more in recent years. We have to get there early or see where my uncle is to use his spot on the front. Our main jolly area is Whitby but we leave late morning good run over moors and come back after 1800 and normally have a clear drive.

Brid has lost it's fishing cobbles I remember when they wer 2/3 deep and as a kid my dad had my out fishing at 6am on `The Three Brothers` now your fighting the seagulls who want everything they can to eat.

I remember back in the 60s when I was about 5 or 6 on a family holiday watching the old lifeboat launch in an emergency ..... It was really exciting........at that age you don't think that someone is in trouble.

I've always been a strong supporter of RNLI from this experience I think

David

This account is tugging at my heartstrings. As an ex-resident of North Yorkshire, albeit t'other end, I have many happy memories of Whitby, Brid and Scarborough.  Agree the weather can be bl**dy awful though. That's one of the reasons we moved "darn sarf" 27 odd years ago.

cheersbar 

Steve 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iain.

Just caught up with you on this one.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your time in EAST Yorkshire.

If you check your map you will find that Brid, Flamborough and Hornsea are still in East Yorkshire where they have always been (unless someone has sold them off without telling anyone)

Hope you accept this in the manner it is meant, ( i.e don't think i'm being nasty about it but I will just say I was born and bred in Hull.....known locally as Ull).

Ah Tim, I have seen that shop, but never been in it! Anything above Lincoln is NORTH to me :naughty:  but yes I know its East Yorkshire, I was reminded many years ago by a couple who worked at Rowentrees, one on the two finger Kit Kat the other on the four Kit Kat conveyor belt. I think its me, well i know its me, I am intrenched in the old noggin from all my years staying at Whitby! So yes I think and say North Yorkshire! :naughty:

My sincere appologies to ALL East Yorkshire folk. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 1