Contessa

JimG

Hi Jim

Never hired her though did look inside a year or two back.

Was quite spacious and unquestionably superb value in recent times - I seem to remember it is quite a bit cheaper than say Trinidad or Distant Horizon although is basically a larger version of the same design style!?

At the time I seem to remember we thought it was a bit dated and plain in fitout (but not unpleasant) and is quite tall.  I think if it ran on short breaks we would have booked it but for our weekly requirements really we all like to have a permanent cabin so it has never quite made it off the consideration list.... yet

I think someone may be along to sing the virtues of this particular style of Aquafibre before long..... ;)

Dan

The layout is ideal for us as the kids will love the bunk beds. On Bolero they'd've had to share a double. It has new flooring this year too. I personally prefer the older style cruisers to the modern ones.

Hi jim

Totally agree with you about preferring the older style cruisers, the newer ones are beautiful of that there is no doubt but prefer the character of the older type boats. We hired Major Gem 2 last year, the refurb on her was outstanding and brilliant value for money. I do hope that Rickos keep the older boats and carry on with the refurbishments, they make Broadland holidays more accessible to people on lower incomes, there are some great boats to be had at the lower price bracket in my opinion.

Back to Contessa (sorry for going a bit off topic, I don't normally do that  :liar) never hired her but another one we have had a look on, she is lovely for the price just never suited us layout wise.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Grace

• Like 1

Hi jim

Totally agree with you about preferring the older style cruisers, the newer ones are beautiful of that there is no doubt but prefer the character of the older type boats. We hired Major Gem 2 last year, the refurb on her was outstanding and brilliant value for money. I do hope that Rickos keep the older boats and carry on with the refurbishments, they make Broadland holidays more accessible to people on lower incomes, there are some great boats to be had at the lower price bracket in my opinion.

Grace

I agree Grace

We have just had Magic Gem and its a great boat with loads of character,well looked after, comfortable.

Not to everyones taste I know but it suited us fine. Especially for mum who is 83, the single level is perfect

As you say they make it more affordable to come to the broads.

cheers David

• Like 1

Have to agree, Major Gem is lovely, the new flooring makes all the difference. We hire Ibiza usually (8 days to go!!!), very similar to MJ though without the refurbishment. It has 240v though and a really spacious rear shower/toilet. Both great boats.

Hmmm.... I would hire it if the layout suited the party, but it's a bit expensive/unsuited to two, and don't fink I would be hiring for a week with four where the layout would fit.

It does seem a bit of a crying shame it's not on short breaks where it would suit requirements rather well - could someone suggest it to Mr R?!

Dan

We had her in August, for the cost she is a great boat, ideal for 4 but a bit cozy for the 6 of us. Our biggest problem is the height, for stern mooring she's a bit of a nightmare, you have to learn mountaineering to get on and off!! X

There will be five of us, two of them kids so should be plenty of space. I am a little concerned about the height but I'm pretty agile :-)

I've never had dual steer, can't wait. Is the outdoor steering position good?

It might have just been me, a 5'2 shorty! As long as you are agile you should be fine. For side on mooring she's great and the dual steering is good, apart from when it rained we spent most of the time steering up top, the visibility up there is really good. A word of warning though, the chair on the outside helm holds A LOT of water so make sure you put a plastic bag on it before you sit on it!

A word of warning though, the chair on the outside helm holds A LOT of water so make sure you put a plastic bag on it before you sit on it!

Thanks, good advice that. Is the chair fixed then? Could it be brought inside if raining?