1950's Reedham?

JennyMorgan

Great pics as always Peter.

I have a copy of the last postcard which I have dated to c1912 .... not Resolute (which was a double ended steamer) but probably the "Pride of the Yare", which was the sister ship to the more famous Queen of the Broads.

This was the Pride of the Yare at Reedham c1910. It ran trips between Yarmouth and Norwich, whilst the Queen of the Broads ran between Yarmouth and Wroxham. You could buy a round trip and do both in one day, with a train to run you between Wroxham and Norwich.

9497810084_4200517412_c.jpgPride of the Yare Steamer at Reedham c1910 by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Carol

• Like 3

Another passenger steamer at Reedham. This was the Waterfly and the postcard dates to around 1910.

Waterfly was owned and operated by John Long who ran trips on the Broads between 1894 and 1914. She was licensed to carry up to 274 passengers! The outbreak of the First World War led to a severe drop in passenger numbers and Waterfly was retired from service. She was converted for use as a lighter after the war but, sadly, ended her days lying on the mud flats of Breydon Water where her remains can apparently still be found.

9495008693_985661d306_c.jpgWaterfly Steamer at Reedham c1910 by AdnamsGirl, on Flickr

Carol

• Like 3

It was the Waterfly which was supposedly left to rot on Breydon but I have no idea of the location, if indeed she did end up there. I'd also be interested to know! My info came from the Waterfly website which was put together by a descendant of John Long: http://waterfly.greatyarmouthphotographic.co.uk/index.htm

The Pride of the Yare was moved to Nottingham in the 1950s where she worked as a passenger boat on the Trent, along with the SS Gorleston. More here:

http://www.ourgreatyarmouth.org.uk/page_id__551_path__0p5p104p.aspx

Carol

Clive, lifted off the Waterfly website:

'Built in Yarmouth by Fellows shipyard (see fellows ), she was launched with a bottle of milk broken across her bows and registered in Yarmouth as YH7 on 23 May 1894, with a Board of Trade number 104064. She was built of “120lb” steel, with a 25nhp (see nhp ) steam engine from Crabtree of Yarmouth and a boiler from Farrar of Newark (see farrar ). The engine had two vertical cylinders of 8inch diameter, with a stroke of 9 and 14 inches. Her gross weight was 48.79 tons, net 23 tons. Her overall length was 72 feet 5 inches, with a 14 feet 6 inches beam and 6 feet 3 inches of hold depth. The engine room was 18 feet long.'

Cool,  How old is that picture? I am sure I remember more planking on it also last time I saw her this year I thought she was counter stern although to look  at the recent pictures it would not be obvious,  it must be my memory?