Fishing at BA 24 hour moorings.

Gramps

Whilst checking out fishing spots on the Norfolk/Suffolk Broads via the internet I have discovered that angling is not allowed at some 24 hour moorings at certain times of the year. Bramerton and PH are two that were mentioned. Can anyone shed any light on the others. 

Secondly, do these restrictions apply to boats moored at these places.

Ron

In general Dajen your right - especially on the South.

A damn pain last weekend as Bramerton and the moorings opposite the Ferry Inn were almost full of anglers.

In fact I have had an argument in mid summer with an angler opposite the Ferry Inn were it clearly states they must give way to boats! It's annoying there as they only have to walk 20yds and they can have their own specially prepared swim!!!Just damn lazy

• Like 1

That sign at Bramerton common is clear and does say bankside, thanks for the info, but from what I remember of the PH mooring opposite HW the last time I visited, the sign said simply no fishing.

There is a generally believed perception that fishing is allowed on  BA 24 hour moorings with the proviso of moving on if a boat needs the mooring, but obviously that is not the case at all.

DF does the Langley Dyke prohibition apply to boat fishing as well

DF, the fact is you can fish at Langley Dyke and when we were there in August I read the sign and decided not to fish. However it did not stop at least four others off boat and bank actually fishing. I however being one for following the rules did not, first night out as well. We went for a lovely walk instead. :)

Gramps

The notice does not make it clear. It just stated no fishing.

My understanding is that you can fish (and we do also at Langley Dyke not alone there by any means) from the boat.        Other 24hr moorings restrict you, no fishing until the end of October and then you can fish from the bank at the moorings.      This seems fair to me.      What you dont want is a gang of fishermen pitching up and taking up the whole of the 24hr mooring for them to fish.   We as the boat owners and also hirers in their hire fees have paid towards the BA Toll which provides us with the moorings.        Worlingham has some really good bespoke fishing spots.   You can easily get there by road, so no lugging heavy tackly from A - B as in a lot of spots.

You can tell I'm a southerner, I just realised that PH is not public house!!! Wondered what the heck you lot were talking about. Too many acronyms.

My wife still hasn't realised what NORWICH stands for either!! Hope I don't get a black mark for that from the wonderful moderators who should be paid a fortune for their good work. Such an outstanding team. :bow

You can tell I'm a southerner, I just realised that PH is not public house!!! Wondered what the heck you lot were talking about. Too many acronyms.

My wife still hasn't realised what NORWICH stands for either!! Hope I don't get a black mark for that from the wonderful moderators who should be paid a fortune for their good work. Such an outstanding team. :bow

To your first paragraph I can only apologize as I was recently pulled up for using GH for Great Yarmouth!

To your second I can only say "You'll go far, young man!"

• Like 1

The confusion at Potter is two-fold.  First of all the signs at the BA's 24 hour moorings downriver from Potter Bridge on the Repps bank are Environment Agency signs warning anglers of the overhead cables that - as BB correctly says - were undergrounded two years ago .  We have the same signs above the bridge on the Potter bank and the Martham bank  The River Thurne Tenants Association (those of us who own the "little shed/bungalow things") has asked that EA remove these redundant signs.  They refuse on the basis that they have to install such signs at all such river access points where overhead lines appear anywhere along that stretch of riverbank.

However, the "No Fishing" signs that appear on the 24 hour moorings opposite Dutch Tutch (the helter skelter), opposite Harry May's boatyard and the "Picnic Site" at Repps Staithe are all installed by Thurne Bungalows Management Company Limited.  TBMC Ltd is the company formed by the owners of the Thurne bungalows and the private moorings.  The three Repps bank sites mentioned are all owned by the bungalow owners themselves via their Company.  It is the bungalow owners who pay to maintain the two mooring sites for their free use by owners of both privately owned and hire boats.  These moorings are also "quiet moorings."  The running of engines at any time whilst moored there is forbidden.

David

Hello David

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I am sure all responsible Broads users would applaud your organisation for providing quiet moorings for the benefit of all boaters, I for one would never abuse the terms of mooring at such places.

It just seems that a general assumption that all 24 hour moorings are the same is not true. I will look into the matter further

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to bring to your attention about the moorings just down river of Saint Bennets on the Bure that used to be just a rough mooring that you could moor at to fish but as the B A have now rebuilt these moorings up to good standard I was passing last week when I saw a man not in B A uniform nailing signs on the mooring front stating no mooring access required at all times he had moved the B A safety barriers to get to nail them on and had turned up on a bicycle they stated that they were B A notices but they were unlike any previous ones I had seen but if they are official why the sudden change of hart from being allowed to fish there for all the previous years to not any more I did try ringing broads control and the environment fisheries but could get no reply other than I was promised a ring back but got nothing so I was left wondering what was going on.   

i saw something posted on this on the NBF.   It seems this mooring is to do with the St Bennetts Trust or similar.   No it is not for all and sundry to moor there, but as has been said,  enforcing said terms will prove quite interesting in the coming season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David (Swift),

Thanks for the info re the "quiet moorings" at PH,

Just to make things absolutely clear regarding fishing at these moorings.    Is it a total ban on fishing there or are you allowed to fish from a boat moored there? 

Jeff

I don't understand the point of your question; surely the sign is abundantly clear?

If it says "No Fishing" and there is no other information, then it means NO FISHING from bank or boat!

JohnM,

Whilst I fully appreciate your point where a sign saying "No Fishing" must mean "no fishing" 'end of' that may not be the case. These days where signage, instructions and even laws are so poorly thought through, it is quite possible that the intention of the sign was purely to stop anglers setting up with their brollies, tackle boxes, keep nets and the ton and a half of other kit we anglers seem to acquire over the years!

May I give you a real life example of this "poor phrasing". My boat was broken into some years ago. apart from the vandalism, they nicked quite a bit of stuff including my tackle box and two rods I kept on board.

I claimed on my insurance for all the losses apart from the fishing gear. The gear was omitted because the policy stated clearly that "Fishing gear was not included in the policy" I only noticed this when making the claim. Needless to say I included a strongly worded letter describing my displeasure over something so likely to be on a boat being exempt from the cover.

The reply was interesting in that  I was informed that fishing tackle was included in the cover but fishing gear was not.

What was meant was commercial fishing gear, ie trawler nets etc were not covered where angling equipment was.

As I say, poorly worded document, not thought through,... and that was from an insurance company!

Although that was some years ago, this slap-dash attitude to such things remains today, in fact rather worse. So, does "no fishing" mean no fishing? well it might, but then again...

The root cause of this problem is the education system which supports the doctrine "Grammar doesn't matter as long as you get your message across". As these days so many messages are NOT getting across, this doctrine is now being proved to be "not fit for purpose". Sorry for the rant, it's just one I feel strongly about!

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't think it is as straight forward as Johnm suggests. The signs surely relate to no fishing from the mooring, but I don't see how they can relate to fishing from your boat. Banning fishing from the mooring is to ensure that the moorings remain available at all times for boats to moor. Fishing from your boat doesn't prevent mooring. However there may be many ethical reasons why it would make sense not to fish from your boat. For instance would it be fair to come along in your boat, ask a fisherman to move so you can moor, thus preventing him from fishing, only for you to moor and then fish from your boat? or a fisherman wanders along the bank and sees you fishing from your boat and then decides to set up near you on the mooring to fish. In his eyes, why shouldn't he fish, if you can?

I would suggest that technically nothing can prevent you from fishing on your boat, but where there is signage banning fishing from the mooring, then ethically you shouldn't fish from your boat either.

One thing that really gets my goat is when you get boats moor at a mooring where the sign plainly states anglers must give way to boats seeking to moor, and then leave a 10ft bank side fishing gap between them and the next boat and proceed to fish. Be considerate and moor close to the boat in front or behind and fish from your boat.

• Like 2

Hi Johnm,

In response to your post all I would say is if it WAS  "abundantly clear"  there would be no need for the question to be asked !

I respect the fact that the local home owners take care of these moorings and do not charge a mooring fee ( unlike some whose land happens to border a waterway and do nothing to make it inviting and as safe as possible and still charge you for mooring there). 

The part I was questioning is :- yes they can more than likely determine what you can and cannot do on the land that they maintain but can they control what you do on your boat as it is sat in the water and not on "their land"

If someone were to pass these moorings whilst trolling for pike from a rowing boat would they have to stop fishing until they had passed the mooring area?

Jeff

• Like 1

The answer to that one is no they cannot , otherwise they could determine when you got up, what you did on the boat (the mind boggles) flushes of the loo etc.    Fishing from the boat even in the Yacht Stations is allowed when it is not allowed from the quay side.       My interpretation of a "Quiet Mooring" is just that,   no running of engines  or playing music loudly.  .   .      I was not aware that fishing was a noisy sport.     Do children on boats have to be muted as well.     I am sure we have moored there in the past and no one has ever stopped us from fishing.from the boat. They may own the mooring but not the river outside,  a bit like moaning if someone parks outside your house,  you dont own the road.

• Like 1

The answer to that one is no they cannot , otherwise they could determine when you got up, what you did on the boat (the mind boggles) flushes of the loo etc.    Fishing from the boat even in the Yacht Stations is allowed when it is not allowed from the quay side.       My interpretation of a "Quiet Mooring" is just that,   no running of engines  or playing music loudly.  .   .      I was not aware that fishing was a noisy sport.     Do children on boats have to be muted as well.     I am sure we have moored there in the past and no one has ever stopped us from fishing.from the boat. They may own the mooring but not the river outside,  a bit like moaning if someone parks outside your house,  you dont own the road.

Parking outside houses raises an interesting point.

You will often see marked area's outside a disabled person's house with the word disabled painted in the space, I think we all realize that it is intended for the householder but is it illegal if another disabled vehicle parks there?

• Like 1