Diesel Bug

just to let you know I am talking to people that have worked with diesel and engines for many years and are not pulling info off the web,weather its on a boat on the broads or from tescoes its the same fuel

andy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just tell me witch refinery it comes from and i will show my rear in harrods window!

ps

just been on my ADR refresher course and have consulted a 30 year expert on haz chems/fuels

andy

It comes from most refineries Andy no special one. YBW have at least two proffesional fuel blenders on their forum, I suggest you ask the same question there as you clearly are unwilling to accept any of the explanations given here and have simply shifted your stance from questioning the very existance of bug to doubtong that it can be an issue in a very short space of time.

thats very true antares,because how many of you have suffered loss of power due to diesel bug

how many have suffered loss of power due to shitten up filters

what did the trained fitter/engineer/ mechanic put it down to?

andy

antares as for doubting the existence,i think there has been a lot of pulling the wool so to speak,i only questioned it to get the full story,and as a true yorkshireman would say,( wheres theres muck theres money)

andy

:Stinky

cause the cynic in me thinks its booloks

Well of course that is one researched theory :yawn:

Folks here have attempted to answer your question with evidential information which of course you can rhetorically throw back if you wish but why not in the spirit of reasoned discussion, point us to the information that shows your assertions are correct.

I would be interested to see it.

when a fuel tanker pulls up at lindsey oil refinery and asks for derv,it dont get asked where its going ie THE BROADS

Tesco

morrisons

asda

sainbsury

its all the same

andy

:Stinky

Andy, DERV (Diesel Engine Road Vehicle) fuel would not be delivered to marinas and yards as I have explained it is red, which goes to agriculture, marine and off road plant and is different in as much as it is lower cetane value and higher sulphur content. Part of the new diesel for pleasure craft tax and duty regime debate that became an issue is that HMCR would have had to charge a higher duty on red after the loss of derogation than ULSD as sold at the roadside because it did not qualify for the reduced sulphur duty. Those two different duties had to be levelled at the same time so the same duty was applied for red diesel used for private pleasure vessel propulsion. All that said there are indeed a few places, especially on the non tidal Thames that actually sell ULSD. Weather anybody here has had a stoppage is something of an irrelevance we are too small a sample. As I suggested, if you ask the question on YBW mobo section there are Degree qualified chemists who’s job is research and blending of fuel, manufacturers and designers of engines and a number of people who have suffered stoppages through blockages caused by rapid onset of filter blockage.

Andy

My final point on the subject is that I have seen with my own eyes my primary fuel filter covered in a slimey snot like substance. It can't be algae as that requires light to bloom. It certainly wasn't rust or similar as that would be granular, so it had to be something else that I cannot define.

In the event that "diesel bug" does actually exist, I am happy to spend £20 per year on a bottle of jollop to put in my tank. It only takes 5 or 10 ml per fill so it doesn't exactly break the bank, and if nothing else gives me some piece of mind. Has my engine ever stopped? No. Does it run any better with the jollop? Probably not, but it is starting better now than ever before.

As to the whole detergent thing, the Oxford dictionary definition is "a water soluble cleansing agent". The last time I looked diesel certainly did not dissolve in water, and therefore it would seem it is impossible for any oil to be a detergent. It does contain detergent substances to help prevent injector clogging, but a detergent it ain't!

Maybe all the studies are a smoke screen, maybe men didn't land on the moon. Who cares? At the end of the day it is what the individual believes that is important. Change your own fuel filter next spring and see if it is clean. If it is then you have no problem :grin: