London Rascal Spotting

Dogpawz

What do you reckon the generator runs on?!

What's the point of electric propulsion if the generator uses more fuel than a normal diesel powered boat.

We run diesel electric locomotives, it has a 16 cylinder cat engine with 4 Turbo's just to power the generator and uses around 4000 ltrs a day. The technology is still a long way off being perfect.

Doug.

Ye Gods! It almost costs more per week to hire than my yearly outgoings on Royal Tudor! We have a wine & beer cooler too, depending on where we are it's called the Ant, sometimes the Bure, occasionally the Thurne, next year it might be the Yare, although even Uncle Albert now realises the severe penalties that ensue from cooling my Rioja.

I must say I'm looking forward to what Robin has to say!

Doug,

Isn't that more to do with ease of use and engineering requirements - as in the size of the clutch or gearbox to transmit the power to the wheels? I am no expert but probably makes it a more smoother acceleration as well.

And think of the size of the gear stick you'd need :naughty:  :naughty:

I am not a lover of electric cars (or boats) until they can work out how to make smaller batteries that last for 600 miles like my tank on the car does.

It will come if Mr Google has anything to do with it and drive you home to boot. maybe I am being converted.

I can’t give away all the stats, but suffice to say it has not got the usual batteries boats normally have.  But what has got are huge and there are 18 of them.

It has a 32amp battery charger for when it is plugged in but to give you some ideas, I cooked some curry tonight and used two rings on the electric hob, and had the fan assisted oven on too – then did the rice in the microwave – while I was doing that, I had the boiler on for some heating and to have the towel rails nice and hot to warm the towels after my shower.

This was all performed without any running of the generator, now I have the telly on and my laptop and the lights dimmed nice and cosy and my domestic power is showing 91.8%. 

Today I did very little since my Mum has returned back to London and got a lift to the station so did not leave Ludham Bridge till almost 1pm – headed up the Ant over Barton Broad past Paddy’s Lane, then back over Barton down to How Hill to moor for tonight.  Generator kicked in as I was approaching Paddy’s Lane and had switched off on my return through Irstead.  In this time it had charged the domestic and drive batteries – the large solar panels (6 of them) in the afternoon sunshine we have had here did the rest.

Honestly I think Barnes Brinkcraft have cracked it – I was sceptical to begin but I no think this really is the way to go, underway it is ear silent and the amount of people asking about the electric drive when I have been moored – even underway – has surprised me.  It has such precise control over your revs and speed and at 4MPH is drawing about 20 AMPs – you get about 5 hours cruise time until the generator kicks in.

For those wondering what about when your moored at night and the boat needs more juice how is it for the neighbours, well the main noise is the air flow coming from the fans on top of the heat sinks for the chargers together with a fan to keep the engine (which acts as the generator it is  Beta by the way) cool – of course the engine is water cooled but its enclosure is tight for space and lined with about 2inchs of insulation – the posh lead lined  shiny aluminium faced stuff.  I’ve filmed the sound outside and inside with the generator running, your need to wait until the Blog is online to hear exactly how it sounds.

Overall though it is very much ‘me’ I love pushing boundaries and people who innovate – had it not been for people like Herbert Wood or Frank Wild we would not have the cruisers and industry we do now and while I take nothing away from other boatyards who build new boats this you must agree is very much different and pushing the ‘norms’. 

Add in the mix an extremely well fitted luxury fit out (think of the new Broom boats being built) and all the small things I have been talking about in the past from a decent sound system, TVs in every cabin and saloon, dimmable and selectable mood lighting, towels, luxury linens, china and cookware – it really has set the new standard of high end luxury afloat.  For all this, I don't think the price is too high - something to save up for, to treat yourself to type thing.  Great for 2 - even 3 couples with large cabins and their own entertainment in the cabins.

The next build will have some changes, like a 16amp shore power and little less powerful chargers for the batteries but may well feature bespoke electronics based around Raspberry Pie - http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/what-is-a-raspberry-pi/- such as touch screens which would give real time information on how much water is the in tanks, power remaining, lighting and so on.

To be honest I did not believe you so I had a look on the Barnes website and you are wrong- it's MORE!!!!!!!

25th July for a week- £2,339 plus £40 damage waiver and a £200 fuel deposit. But........ You do get £10 off if you book online.

To put the price into comparison you can stay in Tealby in Horning for the same week for £2100. Tealby sleeps 8 though.

http://www.ferry-marina.co.uk/riverside-houses

I have to say that is definitely the future for upmarket hire boats - Wonder how many would pay the extra for such luxury and how long it will take before it gets trashed :naughty:  Cynical maybe, but probably realistic. Have to agree it really does look good though.

And lets hope they don't put any fancy control electronics on the new boat - they dont play well with water or damp conditions - I know I have some on my boat that I am desperate to get ripped out :cry  Might have to wait until I retire though.

Sorry folks, but i have to say this boat, although technologically fantastic, that`s the last thing i would want on a boat. What`s the one thing we ALL say is wonderful about being on a boat on the broads?, .Getting away from everyday life and drudgery. All they`ve done on this boat is give you back everyday life while afloat on holiday.

I wish the fleets would keep things a bit more basic, and stop creating a marketing excerscise that would see the end of economical boating. I had a look on Broadsman while in Ricco`s yard in June, and yes it was very smart. But there seemed to be too much fibreglass and technology aboard. I mean, who needs a reversing camera on a boat?.

I know i`m a bit of a luddite, but i do see the point of a 240 volt hook up system, but NOT an inverter, and i just love the benefits of bow thrusters.

And as for the cost of hiring the thing, well you can buy half a share in a syndicate boat for a lot less, and keep it for life.

Sorry folks,Not convinced.

• Like 4

When we were on magic gem in September there was a couple of nights where the tv reception was poor so we turned it off an put the radio on and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it...background music and a good book.....so relaxing.

Looking back i'd say they were my favourite two nights

David

• Like 3

Well said Speedtriple - we often get folk asking what we do without a television on board!

The answer is, you can do lots of things. You're not doing anything just sitting watching tv, probably with the curtains drawn to stop the glare of the sun, so that you don't even see what's going on outside.

• Like 1