London Rascal Spotting

Dogpawz

Exactly so Sprite,

I was voicing my opinion and MY opinion only. The way i see it, (and several others by the look of things) the more you`re interrested in all the teccy stuff, there`s less chance you`ll just enjoy the peace and tranquility of just being on a boat and feeling relaxed.

One other thing that has just occured to me, this boat is the latest newest addition to the fleet, meaning just that, it`s brand new. With a deisel powerplant, you can virtually garuntee at least 10 years lifespan with only routine maintainace to be done. I wonder how long the batteries will last, and how many charging cycles do they expect to get, and over how many years. Time will only tell, but if the boat is sitting in a yard for months without being run, will they just die like any other battery.

I applaud new technology, and i will appreciate the peace and quiet while at the helm, but i can`t help but think this is all a flash in the pan due to possible "unforsean" occurrancies and circumstances. At the end of the day, if BB have to charge £3,000 per week+ just to cover the annual servicing costs, then very few people will want to pay the extra cost for being politically correct  ..............  Green in other words.

• Like 1

It's suddenly occurred to me, yes even my senile old brain has a light bulb moment sometimes,

The basic/budget boat of today was the new top of the range platinum boat of yesterday.

I think that's true of a lot of things...cars, computers....wives....Quick Run! :mouse:

• Like 3

I've just returned - now the task to get all the footage and make something out of it and share begins.

As far as boating goes I just saw a bit on BBC news where Sir Robin Knox-Johnston was showing the inside of his yacht that he will be using for the Route du Rhum from St Malo in France to Guadeloupe in the Caribbean.  It has a single burner camping stove and a bucket for a toilet - but he was very much happy saying it is all you need.

We only need the very basic's, but we (most people) would like better. 

What Rhapsody has done is be the first boat I think that offers the Norfolk Broads without any compromises.  So you get to enjoy the peace, the nature and the generally 'getting away for it all' but more so than usual because 90% of the time you are cruising in silence.  You can leave a mooring in the morning and no one be aware you have left - hear the birdsong more, Reeds rustling much the same as a 'Rag and Stick' would be able to tell you just is without the constant thumping of an (or whine of a hydraulic drive if the engine is outside under the deck).

But it is not just about that it is the fact when you come inside from the beauty outside yes, you have home with you.  Honestly, to put the kettle on and pop in the a shower grab the warm towel off the rail then come out and not have  the screaming whistle of a kettle on the hob to worry about then poor your coffee, glance over at the BBC Breakfast and walk to the cabin getting ready and once again glance over to the TV showing the same channel was lovely.  Dry, fan assisted oven and induction hob - no huge amounts of condensation being produced burning gas or using a toaster no messing with grill pans was a boon.

And after all this you open the doors, and you have the beauty of the Broads, untie the ropes, cast off press a button and your cruising just the gentle ripple of the boat moving through the water.  Everyone I saw was wowed by it, asking me how it worked or commenting from other boats 'wow that is quiet' upon my return they tell me those who hired it have an 85% return booking rate for next year and three more are to be built - the next being refined even more than this ' working prototype'.

If it was just a hybrid boat it may not work out, but the fit and finish combined with a new propulsion system together bring it all together .  As for how long it will last - they have factored in battery changes over the life (big Trojan ones at that) - if it hires well (and early indications are it will) at the weekly cost it will bring in, the tech side is worth it the cost.

Here is a quick taster of silent power - and then all out mighty thrust from the massive thrusters this boat has (and their noise) to turn 44ft in one move on the Ant at How Hill.

http://youtu.be/0tGRHINrDlU

Briefly saw Robin as he was leaving the moorings (Horning Marshes) at Ludham Bridge heading down the Ant - I think I caught him off guard!

I didn't even clock it was an electric boat.

We've hired budget (Amber Gem) and Platinum (Broadsman) from Richardson's.  To be honest, it didn't matter whether we had one or two TV's - Freesat or Freeview, we are too pre-occupied river/boat/people watching to bother with the telly.

Boat we were just on, Breeze 2, was lovely, nothing fancy at all, but easy to handle and everything we might need for the four nights.  The unseasonably mild weather helped too!

Not sure when we'll be back after April, when we are aboard Challenger with my SKin & Blister, as I found out while on the boat last week (Birthday week too) that I am being made redundant in December.......

Ho hum.

Well done to Barnes for innovation. Whilst the hire charge is too pricey for me personally at the moment I can appreciate its a super luxury boat. I guess if you think of technology in cars and things like ABS that we all take for granted now at one time that was a luxury item but over time economics dictates pricing comes down.

Sorry to hear the news SGWilko hope you land on your feet real soon!

Just played the clip of the boat now renamed HMS Pat Pending to Uncle Albert, old sea dog & wearer of hearing aid. The official verdict...'what a noisy contraption that is, why's he need ASDIC and what's with the bucket of spanners?" Although he was quite interested in the ability to watch Jeremy Kyle while afloat...as he's got no chance of doing so on RT.

I'm 'At Risk' every week, if the phone doesn't ring - I'm redundant - mind you its been that way for 14 years now, and right now I have well over a months bookings in front of me wihich since the crash is about normal

SGwilko - it could lead you onto something better, one door closes and a bigger one opens up?

Griff

• Like 1

Gosh, thank you for your kind words.

I have a consultation meeting this week, where I should learn if I can be re-employed elsewhere or what package I might be offered.

It has been on the cards since the company was taken over three and a half years ago.

What will be will be - it is up to me to make the most of it!

:)

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about this SGWilko - it must be a very hard time because there is a lot of unknowns and worries – but often good does come from what may seem a bad time approaching.

I know in my past the motivation to do something when one has lost a job has lead to new avenues and experience I’d never of done if I had stayed where I was.

On a brighter note taking minds away from gloomy thoughts, the Boat Review is done, and will be up to watch later tonight.

• Like 4

:shocked  My missus Eve had worked for one of the major DIY companies for over 22 years in an in- store management position. 18 months ago they had a policy change throughout the group and turned two positions into just one.  I am convinced they expected people to leave because of this.  Eve could not afford to leave-mortgage and boat to feed!  As she did not leave she was posted to another branch forty miles away but still she did'nt resign and kept working for them despite the horrendous travelling.  12 months later she was offered redundacy, which she took.  She now works again at the original branch on a part time basis.  Funny old world, don't let the b......s wear you down!  Regards Alan. cheersbar  :wave

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear about this SGWilko - it must be a very hard time because there is a lot of unknowns and worries – but often good does come from what may seem a bad time approaching.

I know in my past the motivation to do something when one has lost a job has lead to new avenues and experience I’d never of done if I had stayed where I was.

On a brighter note taking minds away from gloomy thoughts, the Boat Review is done, and will be up to watch later tonight.

Thanks Robin - and, what took the review so long!!!! ;)

My wife and kids wondered who the heck I was shouting 'Hello Robin' too last week! :)

As someone who was in the same position a couple of years back as you are now SGWilco, I wish you all the best, I was lucky and unlucky, lucky in as much as the redundancy payment paid the mortgage, the pension scheme I was on, paid a pension at age 50+ if you were made redundant, unfortunately we couldnt cut the outgoings to manage on that, and I had 3 months with no job, I then got a job, on a zero hours contract, where they sent me minimal work, after 1 hours work in 6 months I had to find another job, this time I struck gold, a job doing what I do best that I really enjoy, the only down side was the travel, at first it was 160 miles a day, while I learned the procedures and processes, after that they moved me to the depot closest to my home, still 100 miles a day, but dartford tunnel willing, just over an hours journey each way.

All I can say is look for a job that you will enjoy, many companies are falling over themselves to get experienced workers, so good luck finding that perfect job.

Grendel

• Like 3