A week on Brinks Sonnet

Biscuiteer

We arrived in Wroxham around 1ish after a good journey from London. This will be our 5th week on the Broads this year but the excitement doesn't dampen!

The weather on arrival was fantastic, really warm and sunny. It doesn't look like it will last for our stay but we didn't come for the weather! A picture is attached of beautiful clear skies with some geese thrown in (taken from my iphone!)

A few thoughts on the boat. It is more spacious that we thought and well designed. The walk around bed is comfy and the separate toilet and shower is really handy. It was clean and the handover from Brinks was spot on.

The major downside is the lack of gas and in particular a proper oven / hob. We knew this when we booked but given the time of year, we think we should be ok to get electric hook up as moorings shouldn't be too busy. We aren't heading far on this holiday but if you cruise a lot every day, battery charging shouldn't be a problem. We aren't confident with the microwave combi oven. It means we will eat out more than normal, it's a tough life!

So a quick unpack and on to Roy's. It is very odd being in Roy's with the Christmas stock in. I don't know whether it is because we only go on there on our holidays but we love it in Roy's. You never queue at the checkouts and nobody is in a rush. The complete opposite to supermarkets back home in London.

Shopping done, unpacked and on to the more important matters of our first holiday drink. We tried the Hotel Wroxham in the name of tradition but the seating layout isn't good - it doesn't feel like a pub with just a handful of leather couches in the bar area so we didn't stay. The Kings Head is much more like it, friendly staff, plenty of space, and good prices. After a few drinks we headed to the Star of India. We don't have a bad word to say about the place, the owner is passionate and the service is excellent, good value as well. A great way to start the holiday.

Biscuiteer

post-30560-141474624218_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Friday 31 October

It was another glorious day. We had a trip to Roy's for fresh bread and then relaxed for a bit, watching the boats cruise past. Bliss. Doing nothing on the Broads one of the best bits, there is always something to see,

We headed on our way, destination Ludham Bridge. The rivers were busy with day boats and cruisers - good to see. We mudweighted in Ranworth Broad for lunch and saw the London Rascal on a very lovely new Brinks boat (see attached!)

On to Ludham Bridge. There were plenty of moorings so we could take our pick. After a relaxing few hours on the boat (and a long nap on my part), we headed to the Dog Inn. There were a few people in but it had the end of season feel. We got a warm welcome and the food was excellent. It was properly home cooked which is relatively rare now. There is something about the Dog that means we don't ever seem to want to leave, we get very settled! This meant we had far too much to drink, but had a brilliant night!

Biscuiteer

post-30560-141483182922_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Saturday 1 November

Another glorious day here. We can't believe our luck, we were prepared with woolly hats and warm layers. The sunshine and fresh air helped the hangovers and we set off from Ludham Bridge, destination Sutton Staithe.

The cruise up the River Ant is one of our favourites, beautiful scenery and wildlife, then beautiful Barton Broad (see attached). We managed to get a good look at a kingfisher which is always a treat.

We got to Sutton Staithe and got a mooring with power so we could relax as we had only had the engine on for about 90 mins today. This is one of our favourite moorings, so peaceful and scenic with a good pub / restaurant, power and water.

We stayed on the boat for the day, fed the ducks, had lunch and the obligatory afternoon nap, and headed to the pub for dinner. No drinking tonight for us after last night's antics.

We both had the lasagne which was good. The table service for drinks as well as food is really good in this place, it makes a difference. And we have always liked the food (although we aren't particularly adventurous)!

We headed back to the boat to watch a DVD and have a quiet night in. On the way back from the boat we shined our torches on to a large animal which started to run away. Our first thought was "big cat" but it didn't run like a cat. It was though much too big to be a fox. We concluded it was a big dog and quickly scarpered! Quite unnerving in the pitch black!

Biscuiteer

post-30560-141492538528_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sunday 2 November

It had all been going so well, our favourite moorings and pubs, good food, and great weather.

We woke up to a lovely morning at Sutton Staithe and headed off, destination Wayford Bridge. I had never been to Wayford Bridge and Mr Biscuiteer hadn't been for 20 years so it was an adventure for us. We were planning to go for a late lunch at Wayford Bridge Inn. On route the weather turned and it poured down, but it added to the enjoyment of the cruise. The scenery had an extra depth to it in the rain (see attached). Very enjoyable.

We saw that Wayford Bridge (through the bridge) was quiet so we explored up to Dilham. A lovely mooring, so quiet and remote and one for the future definitely. We headed back to Wayford Bridge.

For background I am not the most confident at mooring (in my 30s but lacking the required balance!). So as we approached the bank it started to occur to me that the bank was uneven and not really a mooring, just a very soggy river bank with some sticks stuck in to it. So as the time approached, I tried to get off but my feet weren't having it. Queue a panicked (and unsuccessful) rope throw by me and I was nearly cast adrift. By this point we were absolutely drenched!! So we abandoned the mooring a drove off.

Our other observation was the road noise - wow it is so loud, not what you become used to when you are on the Broads. We will not be rushing back there. Shame as the menu looks good at the pub.

We were drenched and needed to make a new plan, so back to Sutton Staithe. Tried and trusted! We moored up no problems and had a rest and dried off. Having eaten in the hotel yesterday, we made a plan to head in to Stalham. After a couple of drinks on the hotel, we got a taxi in to Stalham (£4 for those who are interested) and headed for the Swan. We like it in the Swan, a proper pub but nicely done and good service. We went from there to the Oasis, which was good but we might have been a bit adventurous with our choices as the food was very hot! Can't fault the quality in there though. We got a taxi back to the boat - no giant cats, dogs, bears, wolves or anything else lurking tonight thankfully!

Not what we had planned but another great day.

Biscuiteer

post-30560-141500931125_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This is getting embarrassing turning up in other people’s holiday snaps now lol.

I remember now seeing your boat on the Broad, I wanted to use the Island to put a camera on then do some manoeuvres and return to pick it up (all went well I am pleased to say and recovered the camera).

Sounds like you had a good adventure :)

• Like 2

Monday 3 November

We woke up about 9ish bad had a quick breakfast before heading in to Stalham for some fresh food - there is an excellent butchers in the town and obviously Tesco. Back to the boat and a restful lunch and chill out time.

We set off about 2pm, destination Ranworth. We haven't been to Ranworth for 3 years simply because it is too busy and too popular, so moorings are usually full. We arrived just before 4pm and the rain was pouring down, it was almost dark! (See attached a gloomy river).

To our surprise Ramworth was almost full even in November! We managed to get moored (thank you to the man who helped us in the rain). We were planning a night in tonight but had a look in the pub and our minds changed! Wow, a log fire burning, lovely food and really nicely decorated. We couldn't resist. The pub has really changed since we were last here.

So we settled in front of the fire and had a couple of drinks. The food was excellent, very impressed! The service was also excellent and we had a good night, very cosy in there with the rain and the cold outside and the fire on inside.

We will make more of an effort to stop here next year but out of season!

Biscuiteer

post-30560-141509522387_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tuesday 4 November

We woke up and most of the other boats had left so we had clear views of the broad (see photo attached). The sun was out but it was cold! After breakfast we set off to Wroxham as this is our last full day - train booked for Wednesday.

The cruise back was magical, very few boats around, it felt like we had the river to ourselves. I've attached a video of cruising through Horning, the river is so still and the usually full moorings are empty.

Back in Wroxham we started to plan ahead to next year and had a look around the boat yards and even got on some boats to look around. It's the only way to deal with the end of a holiday on the Broads!

After the usual afternoon nap on my part, we got ready and headed out to the Kings Head, it was quiet in there, very different to 5 days ago! They are closing shortly for a refurbishment so we look forward to getting back next year to see what they have done! No food out today so after a few drinks we got a kebab (very nice) and headed back to the boat. Heating on as it was freezing!!

A good end to a brilliant holiday, visiting our favourite moorings on a peaceful Norfolk Broads.

Biscuiteer

https://vimeo.com/110981082

post-30560-141518097166_thumb.jpg

• Like 6