Brinks Rhapsody - The Review

LondonRascal

I think I will leave it to the video review to let you decide what your impressions are of this new cruiser on the Norfolk Broads, but I for one have been one over by it's sheer luxury and innovation.

Yes it is a premium boat, attracting a premium price but unlike other boats for hire, this is a boat without compromise.  There is no need to worry about brining a high powered appliances with you because it has the capacity to run them - and of course the power generation onboard to keep them going.

A domestic electric induction hob cooker, fan assisted oven, electric kettle, toaster and domestic sized fridge and separate 24 bottle wine chiller - then there is the thermostatically controlled individual heating to every cabin - heated toilet/shower compartments with heated towel rails, premium flat screen televisions in each cabin with the ability to play DVDs, CD's and play Movies saved to USB drives coupled with a Radio/CD player with an MP3 input option and a premium speaker system.

The list goes on and on.  Then there is the all electric drive system which means you can cruise in near silence and really enjoy the sounds of the Broads - from birds to the simple rustle of Reeds, or the water lapping at the banks as you pass. 

Three more of these boats will be built, before Barnes Brinkcraft turn their attention to producing much the same system to smaller boats - perhaps using lithium cells in years to come to create a light weight yet powerful battery system for them.

Watch the special extended review below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV91G9chon0

post-534-0-19986600-1415043705_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-50265200-1415043730_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-91180600-1415043746_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-60358000-1415043765_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-22198300-1415043784_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-81979000-1415043805_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-27387100-1415043840_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-18559200-1415043862_thumb.jpg

post-534-0-36853700-1415043900_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great review Robin. Got to say when you moored next to us at Ranworth at 8.00 in the morning we hardly heard a thing and it didn't wake up the other crew members who were still asleep which is exceptional particularly at Ranworth

Boycee

:band :band

Hylander my reply to that is, it always has  been a failing of ALL Brinks boats with frosted glass. None appear to have modesty curtains. I had to tell a chap on Ultima that not a lot was left to the imagination when the lights were on in the Heads area. He went out and put a bathtowel over the said area.

cheers Iain.

Boycee I confess that mooring at Ranworth early in morning when people are sleeping certainly concentrates the mind but slowly did it and in silence meant we arrived without anyone being aware.

As for the windows Hylander – because they are completely frosted you can’t see through them at all - they are not clear glass with a transfer stuck over it is actual frosted glass.  Much nicer without curtains I think too. I did not have issue with this - and think you would be rather unlukcy to be moored - at night where someone was looking at your 'bathroom' long enough to see a blurred figure inside behind the frosted glass.  At night time most other boaters would be on their boat with their curtains closed.

Yes Jonzo it is a real time read out on the LCD display of what RPM your prop is turning at and how many amps you are using together with battery run time without the generator running.

This display can have other features included – even the provision of CCTV cameras being shown at a touch of a button.  These come from the USA from a company called Elco – the screen is about $500 not including batteries or a generator a basic plug and play system motor will set you back about $22,000 to convert your boat to electric – add on solar panels, batteries and of course the generator and it soon gets rather expensive to go green!

• Like 1

At night time most other boaters would be on their boat with their curtains closed.

Right - butI I still would not want to go in there in the altogether and go to the loo and be thinking that someone stood on the bank could be having a right eyeful - if only a blurred eyeful.  I would need to have curtains - sorry.     May be a roller blind Brinks please?

• Like 2

Hmm, sorry I am not able to agree with your point of view - (no offence at all intended) but if you can't see what someone is doing, just a blurred blob through a window it does not bother me.

I also think, as an operator curtains cause them a lot of headaches especially in the heads with moisture - mould and being damaged.

On my return I asked why the radio was behind a cupboard - I'd never have guessed that the reason was because of how many radio's are broken each year by kids putting things in the CD slot or breaking the knobs - putting it out of sight in a cupboard they hope will add a layer of 'out of sight or of reach'.

No curtains in the heads therefore is one less thing to worry about...

• Like 2

Totally agree with Hylander, we hired a boat a few years ago from Herbert Woods that had no curtains in the heads, this boat was not a new one by any means and you could see quite a bit when a family member took a shower at night, we also put towels up to save our modesty. We spend most evenings/nights outside the boat fishing and have seen some sights I can tell you Lol

Thanks for the review, it certainly is a stunning boat but roller blinds or curtains for Hylander and me please 

Grace

• Like 2

The interesting thing about the electric propulsion system is that they use AC not DC motors. 85 to 92% efficient compared to 55 to 60% for DC. Also a periodic maintenance period of 50,000 hours!!!!!. For a private boat I consider myself to be above average usage. 200+ hrs cruising per year. That motor would last a long while.

Some will know that my boat is an ex Barnes hire boat. In some parts it is very well, almost over engineered. Looking at Robin's review I almost get the impression that the guy who specified the electrical fit out on my boat, is still there and moved on to bigger and better things. They are certainly pushing the envelope on Rhapsody, which can only be good. However I do wonder how all that electronics, mood lighting, chargers, invertors LED strip lights are going to fare after 10 years in a damp environment? Certainly some good research has been carried out before that was built and materials sourced far and wide.

At times I have really mixed feelings about Barnes as a company, but I have to say hats off for a really high spec build that for me is really punching above its weight for what you might normally expect for a hire boat. This company in Norfolk have produced a boat that can easily hold it's own when compared to some of the luxury brands around on the South coast. :bow

• Like 2

Thanks Robin, I enjoyed that.

Looks very smart inside overall, some of the changes to layout/access I'm unsure on, but it only offers more choice out there to what is already offered towards the top end so that can only be good.

I wont repeat the positives already pulled out that there are plenty of and that I largely agree with also, but to me having seen her on the rivers the one striking thought that I cant get away from is the boat externally could have been ten years old, and so left me with no wow factor.  

I am not saying that she wasn't well turned out, just that this design has been around a while now and externally other than the hefty solar panels and the recently moulded rear seating on top really it just looked nice but kind of heading towards a bit plain outside.  Having watched the video the interior/spec is far supreme to what had hit my radar from passing her out and about or in Wroxham.  

Dan

Looks lovely if not entirely my cup of tea!

I think the original design with steps out to the upper helm is better though, especially if children are on board. They can come in and out without having to be too close to the water.

SWMBO says, lovely fit out of curtains and fixtures, but, a pity the bedding doesn't match!

The electrical side was of interest to me, its a sort of mini ship generation power system. While modern and new to the hire fleet, its not that new in the scheme of things. I agree about the access to the upper deck with kids, when the boat is on the move, I prefer the other style. Overall a very nice boat at a premium price.

As they say, just like all things modern, the perfect boat aint been built....yet! :naughty: Or has it?

cheers Iain.

Of course Barnes Brinkcraft have not the luxury of some yards who design and build from scratch - I get the feeling that the Alpha mold is getting a bit long in the tooth now with different yards struggling to figure out what works best for that upper deck area!

I liked the fact the tiny hatch and steep steps into saloon had gone  because that brought more space but did comment on hand over that some extra hand rails could be used at the stern as my Mum felt a bit unsteady especially when going up and down the steps at the rear.

The boat is not perfect, but then I doubt you can ever get that - I'd like them to try this sort of style/fit out with a centre cockpit in time.

But you know what - despite not being able to fault the boat other than the radio in a cupboard, the one boat I miss and spent a great deal of time on is very simple - Mystic Horizon, a small sedan boat.  It was cosy but comfy and easy to handle for me and having spent a total of 3 weeks onboard her I have a soft spot for.

Rhapsody is the sort of fit out I'd love to be able to get if I ever won the Lotto and could have something built to order - very much over the top in some areas, but if you can...why not?

What I would like to see though is the principal work  and other boats that do not just rely upon a diesel engine running all the time come out, maybe if enough came into hire we would have more provision for dedicated charging points - perhaps with a certain shaped socket and plug that meant only hybrid boats could plug in.  This will either be the future we are seeing today, or in 10 years be something people talk about 'remember those hybrid boats from Barnes'...

By the way, having had a comment on You Tube implying this was scripted or otherwise influenced by the boatyard.  I was trying to be professional and detailed in the review, sorry if in so doing it came over as somehow scripted.  It was in the main done in a single take moving from cabin to cabin. The boatyard did not get to see the video before I posted it publically, neither did they tell me what to say or include (or omit) from it.  It always is 'as it happens' and always will be.

• Like 6

Another excellent review Robin. Having followed your YouTube channel since the early days I can say that your impartial reviews have become a very useful resource. Ignore any silly comments - it is obvious you are not reading from a script. Your presentation style has naturally become more "polished" with the passing of time, but the content continues to be impartial. Keep up the good work!

On the subject of the boat, it is quite impressive, but too many buttons, lights and gadgets for me! However it is clearly a good addition to the broads fleet and will be popular.

• Like 2

Robin Ignore the stupid comments on youtube.. it looks like it's been deleted now anyway?... Your videos are certainly coming across as very professional productions and this one moreso than before so you should be proud of that (its your boss ok with this hobby?!!).. I don't see any scripting other than preparation but I guess you did this after a few days aboard so you had time to look through it all and work out what to say.. Have you seen the boating channel on sky? some of the productions (if that's the word) are no were near your quality.. maybe a career change? Keep them coming ..

• Like 3

Please bear in mind that I think this boat is the Bee's knees quite frankly and would love to be able to afford to hire her.      May be like others, when old Ernie pays out or the Lottery Lucky or rather unlucky dip comes up.    So taking that into consideration my next comment is only a concern.

In the main cabin you have shown us the two displays on the bulkhead of the fuses, controls etc.   These are housed behind the main seating area behind a couple of doors.        I do rather feel that this would be an absolute magnet for little fingers.      With the ability to stand on the seating area and just be about the right height to operate Star Ship Enterprise , as they would see it,  should there not be a child lock on each of them.    I dont mean a lock and key because they get lost but the kind of thing you get on cupboards to keep the ankle biters at bay.   I am a grandma and have first hand experience of little ones getting into everything.

Just a thought.

• Like 2