River Yare

JennyMorgan

• 1 month later...

These really are a wonderful collection of photos – not just in this thread but those posted for other locations around the Broads of late.

What I notice a lot is the informality of the scenes; it looks very natural compared to today’s formal moorings with their quay headings, posts and signs not to mention the occasional blue electric post!

• Like 1

Interesting to note that there were some 20 ferries on the River Yare. Mostly foot or one man and his boat.http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2014/02/crossing-the-yare-buckenham-ferry/

Great to see these old photographs JM.

Not so good is that some that you have posted (not this present batch, I hasten to add) I can remember!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once a common occurrence on the Yare:

YareShipping.jpg

Must have been a surprise to many a holidaymaker! I notoriously won a race thanks to coaster on the Yare. A day of next to no wind and the undertow from a ship's propellor dragged me through the fleet of sailing boats. Once we arrived at the buoy, turning point, we did have a problem pushing ourselves away from the stern of the coaster but the skipper gave the engine a surge to push us clear.

• Like 1

Once a common occurrence on the Yare:

YareShipping.jpg

Must have been a surprise to many a holidaymaker! I notoriously won a race thanks to coaster on the Yare. A day of next to no wind and the undertow from a ship's propellor dragged me through the fleet of sailing boats. Once we arrived at the buoy, turning point, we did have a problem pushing ourselves away from the stern of the coaster but the skipper gave the engine a surge to push us clear.

Now even I remember them turning up the Wensum for Colemans! I am getting old like JM :naughty:

xmas6 Iain,

I am sure that I can remember a coaster called the Molly M, or am I mistaken. Holiday makers were told not to moor on bends, certainly round the Whitlingham area. Talking of which, on several occasions they would ground on a bend, and I can remember a great wall of water that they pushed before them, and in their wake water would drain from the river

, dykes and tributaries of the river Yare.

Old Wussername.

Many of the coasters in the 60s were Everard ships with the ending 'ity'. I can remember hearing coasters coming along the Yare in the distance so if at Brundall Dyke or Rockland Dyke, Langley or Hardley, the next thing you knew was the water sucking out of the dyke and then when possible I would run to the end of the dyke to watch the coaster go past - pure magic, what a memory! Have some photos which I need to find

Yes, I remember now, you are absolutely correct. I don't know why, but seeing the amount of water the bow pushed in front of it it seemed logical to my confused thinking that the water drained from the dykes after the coaster passed in order to replace that which had been carried in front of the vessel.

Old Wussername.

It is quite late now, I'll post this in the morning.

Best wind the cat up and put the clock out!

Manko

Please share your postcards and photographs. Thorpe St Andrew was considered The Garden of Norfolk in time gone past.

Every year I place a wreath on my parents grave, in the parish church. I always walk along the village green.

This year it was an absolute delight to see that the residents on the other side of the river have transformed the area into what has become a most desirable place to live on the river.

Commander Ashby, I think, would be well pleased.

Old Wussername.

• Like 3

Manko

Please share your postcards and photographs. Thorpe St Andrew was considered The Garden of Norfolk in time gone past.

Every year I place a wreath on my parents grave, in the parish church. I always walk along the village green.

This year it was an absolute delight to see that the residents on the other side of the river have transformed the area into what has become a most desirable place to live on the river.

Commander Ashby, I think, would be well pleased.

Old Wussername.

Nice to hear positive comments regarding Thorpe river green and the Island.

And great pics or yester-year, days long before myself, some before my father and if I had a clue when my fathers father was born maybe even older than he would be! 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...