River Yare

JennyMorgan

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

This time the Jenny Lind, a trip boat that worked from Norwich to Bramerton Woods End during the last 20 years of the 19th C. Presumably no one counted how many passengers were aboard!

Jenny%20Lind.jpg

Perhaps JM that is where the expression "Safety in Numbers" originated from! :naughty:

cheersIain.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 23 December 2014 at 0:06 AM, Wussername said:

This year it was an absolute delight to see that the residents on the other side of the river have transformed the area into what has become a most desirable place to live on the river.

Commander Ashby, I think, would be well pleased.

And so is his son !!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2014 at 1:13 AM, JennyMorgan said:

Back to 1900 & Thorpe St Andrew:

Thorpe.jpg

Manko is quite right - this is where Jenners Basin would be now.

Does anyone know about the big chimney, which also appears in JM's other photo, and I have seen it in some others?

I thought it was the folly known as Jarrolds Tower, but that is further up, behind Pinebanks (now Langley school). It seems to be near the Town House and would have been part of the Thorpe Narrows, which were all pulled down in the early 50's. A brewery, perhaps?

The Buck is a very old pub, and I have known many publicans there, starting with Wally Moore. I remember it as Bullards, although I think it might also have been Morgans, before that. I don't remember S&P there and when Patsy Dashwood had it (those were the days!) it was a free house.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Manko is quite right - this is where Jenners Basin would be now.

Does anyone know about the big chimney, which also appears in JM's other photo, and I have seen it in some others?

I thought it was the folly known as Jarrolds Tower, but that is further up, behind Pinebanks (now Langley school). It seems to be near the Town House and would have been part of the Thorpe Narrows, which were all pulled down in the early 50's. A brewery, perhaps?

The big chimney belonged to the foundry which stood on that site at the time (later the site of the Foundry House Hotel) owned by the Sabberton family.

My apologies ... I seem to keep posting links to the BM blog at the moment, but I did a post about the Foundry on there about a year ago which gives more info and has some other images too.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2015/01/thorpe-st-andrew-the-foundry/

Carol

• Like 3

Vaughan has mentioned about Thorpe's church tower being demolished. Following Jill's link I found this shot:

http://www.francisfrith.com/thorpe-st-andrew/thorpe-st-andrew-high-street-c1955_t250002

Also some fascinating memories here:

http://www.francisfrith.com/thorpe-st-andrew/thorpe-st-andrew-the-river-yare-1919_69075

Thanks Jill.

• Like 3

Talking of ships using the Yare......

I took this and on the rear of the photo it says "Cargo ship from Amsterdam to Norwich,1964"

Edited to add that it looks like the Haddisco bridge in the background? If so, then this must have been taken at the Reedham end of the cut and near the junction.

Yare shipping10001.jpg

• Like 1