River Yare

JennyMorgan

Here are two of mine, one says Aurdre on the photo and both from 1966 - I have put these on forums before but don't think on this one?  I have a couple of two from Norwich as well but that strictly speaking is the Wensum........... Must have been the holiday when we heard  a day later that England had won the World Cup.  After we bought WR we only went south during the 2 week holiday we had in August.

Aurdre on Yare 1966.jpg

Timber to Norwich 1966.jpg

• Like 2

Now my grey cells are working overtime, I repaired navigation lights on a boat like Aurora, this was in Ayr Harbour though, in the late 60's think she was called Halcience or something like that, however that hold carried coal, is that one of the boats that went up to Norwich and held you up for ages while it turned at the turning basin area?

cheers Iain

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Any idea as to age?

A long time ago, I think. The church spire is there and so are the Narrows, so pre 1953, but I think more like about 1920. If Wards yard is there it is hidden by the trees, and I can't see Jenners sheds, although there seems to be a yard there. The rectory beside the church is not there and nor is Guild house. The original rectory is down near Thunder Lane, now a hotel. Not much building up South Avenue and Dale's Loke is open fields.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Like Vaughan I too wore shorts at school! When did wearing shorts become unacceptable to school boys? Only cissies & wimps wore long trousers in the winter! Stocky lad, was our Vaughan!

Being school cricket Captain, and a Prefect, the wearing of long trousers was compulsory! I did feel for the lads standing out in the lines wearing shorts, with it minus in farenheit!

cheers Iain

• Like 1

On 1/20/2016 at 0:07 AM, jillR said:

brundall gardens in the 90s569ecf7a2849f_brundallgardens..thumb.jpg

brundall gardens,.jpg

Hi Jill,  interesting photos,  the first one l am told by the present owner of Brundall gardens is the remains of the hotel after the fire,  until recently all that remained was the old basement that formed part of a car park.This area is now dug out for the extended mooring basin.   The other building was the old cottage,  long since demolished and now replaced with the striking new house.  This was where I first moored when we came to BGM,  we are now 50 feet further down the bank.  Beautiful setting .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Hi Jill,  interesting photos,  the first one l am told by the present owner of Brundall gardens is the remains of the hotel after the fire,  until recently all that remained was the old basement that formed part of a car park.This area is now dug out for the extended mooring basin.   The other building was the old cottage,  long since demolished and now replaced with the striking new house.  This was where I first moored when we came to BGM,  we are now 50 feet further down the bank.  Beautiful setting .

Hi Mark,

I would say it is only within the last 5 to 10 years that the thatched house was demolished, it is a pity that it was allowed to get into the state it eventually became.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1