River Bure

JennyMorgan

I was struggling to try and place exactly where it could be on the Bure, the trees on high ground on both sides of the river didn't seem to fit anywhere.

I'd forgotten about the Bure extending up past Coltishall though.

A Google search found the original photo neg it was based on though, which reveals the location as Colitishall:

http://www.francisfrith.com/uk/locations/coltishall/photos/coltishall-a-cornfield-1902-44345003

• 1 month later...

Was a time when houseboats were more common than they are today:

RiverBureOldcard.jpg

A houseboat is a perfectly legitimate way of creating space by the water, perhaps a go ahead yard will start production. Always strikes me that a concrete hull would be a good basis for a useful 'spare room'. 

This one was 'near Wroxham.'

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This aerial view from Horning is quite a good illustration of how much has changed over the years. From the bottom right, working our way up, you can see Southgates boatyard, followed by Percivals & then Banhams just before the green. The 1964 edition of the Broads Book listed some 13 yards at Horning offering boats for hire.

17361956338_47c1334a30_z.jpg

Carol

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Not many old ones from the Bure been posted recently and these are only links but following the discussion on 'Perci' here is a photo I always like of the roadside view of his yard. The high kerb is still there and the actual land despite the walls being set back of the 5 houses built on the site go up to the 'yellow line'

That's a long story........... some good names were involved in this particular development including James and Peter Dunham and Pat Larner.......

http://www.francisfrith.com/horning/horning-lower-street-c1965_h116119

Then of course there was the slightly new development near the village quay.  These old cottages were still there in 1971 but came down soon after.  I felt their loss - Biscuit Row (I think) . No houses were destroyed in the first development though (sounds like one of those TV notes, no animals were harmed.....)

http://www.francisfrith.com/horning/horning-lower-street-c1965_h116139

(Please note tax now done so no excuse to sit in front of the computer!)

8 hours ago, springsong said:

Liz you must remember Dolly from Horning dairy, such a cheerful chatty lady

How can I forget Dolly Edwards, truly a lovely lady.  My first job was in the Dairy working for Dolly (and Mr Pease the boss). I worked there on Saturdays and in the school holidays.  The pay was rather low, I can't remember whether I got 50p for a morning or the whole day!  My mother and she were always very good friends and until quite late in her life she would often leave a bundle of runner beans by the front door.  Again I can't remember whether she died before or after my mother but also think she lived well into her 90s.  For many years she rode through the village on her bicycle.

However, her husband Jack was also well known.  I am pretty sure he worked for Turners and in his case drove through the village on a moped, he was very reluctant to wear a helmet when the rules changed and I am not quite sure where he got 'his helmet!'  I believe in his day he either built and / or raced motor boats.  I am sure others can remember more.

Dolly experienced several tragedies in her life but always had a smile on her face.  There are several family grave stones in Horning Churchyard

Liz

A few more photos for this thread with an "On This Day" theme.

On the 23rd January 1963, Horsetad Mill was sadly destroyed by fire - perversely, Britain was in the grip of the Big Freeze and the 23rd of January also saw the regions lowest temperature of the winter recorded at Santon Downham of -19.

The first photo shows the mill in it's heyday, c1900 with a trading wherry moored alongside - the second shows the smouldering remains photographed in the aftermath of the fire. The third and fourth photos show what little remains of the mill today.

horstead20s_millwherry_sml.jpg.385086fb9

horsteadmill_fire63.jpg.b02fd713622ff846

horstead_millremains01.jpg.42d42c19f95d5

horstead_millremains02.jpg.699ef01e2391a

Carol

• Like 4