BSC common problems

Hi all

We will need to have Jupiter BSC'd in the not too distant future. We do have the 'tome' from the BSC, however, trying to read it all would be like pulling teeth. So, looking for advice from you knowledgeable lot in terms of what they are likely to pick up on when the inspector calls and wondering if there are common problems which we can rectify before he/she arrives.

cheers

Suzanne and Adam

Possibly gas hoses and other minor stuff, a late manufacture CE (RCD) marked boat should comply to BSS to a high degree, possibly low level ventilation issues but even that should be OK on a seagoing boat, is she an oil burner or petrol and is she CE (RCD) marked.

She's a 2002 Sealine S28 and we don't think she has a CE mark, how would we check?

Twin Volvo AD31P diesel engines.

What other minor issues?

Thanks.

The RCD came ino force in June 1998 so your boat will be built to it, somewhere on the boat will be a plate giving the category she is classified under and for how many people. Among the paperwork will be a builders certificate certifying conformity with the RCD. You should really have little if any problem with BSS. A new boat for instance is exempt from BSS inspection for the first 4 years, we were able to produce our RCD instead of the BSS ticket to get the broads toll.

Sealine are very helpfull with sorting out any issues you have under the BSS, your boat is CE marked or at least Sealine tell me anything from 1998 will be, as David said. Being a British builder they used all the right bits for BSS so you should be fine.

Mine is 1992 and has just gone through, had to fit a check point in the gas line, took the route of a bubble tester in the gas locker. Uprate the main fuel lines, expose the tops of the fuel filler hoses where they meet the deck inside (you may have to do this, involved me cutting a hole through the back of one of the lockers) and getting a cetificate from Sealine for the main fuel filler hoses but yours should be stamped correctly anyway.

You will fail on low level ventilation but this is advisory only so the BSC is still issued.

Check the dates on your extinguishers, 5 years from the date of manufacture is all you are allowed, and your flexible gas pipes will probably need changing they are dated and are valid for I think 7 years but it may be 5, if they are not dated they will definately need changing.

Check the bottom of your gas locker while you are at it, Sealine used Aluminium that was obviously not up to the job as both of my Sealines have had perforated lockers and needed lining inside with fibre glass, they were 1990 and 92 though.

Apart from that you may find your fuel cap is marked fuel, the BSS considers you too stupid to know what fuel you have to put in it so it needs to be labled with either petrol or diesel to suit.

Ian

Ours is due for renewal in April 2009 and I'm curious to see whether she will sail through her re-test or not.

At the time she was originally inspected, they wanted the fuel lines upgraded but another tester argued that the existing ones were fit for purpose and issued a certificate. As regards the rest of the test, it was a case of fitting a bubble tester, new gas pipework, gas shut off points close to each appliance (also labelled), high and low level ventilation, petrol shut off valve within reach of the helm, upgraded catalytic gas heater (it's not much cop!) and as Ian commented, labels everywhere pointing out what goes in what tank!

I'm still keen on the idea of warm air heating ducted into the main cabin and heads because the existing heater takes ages to warm the boat up. There is no way you can leave it on overnight either as there would be a major fire hazard. I know the Calor Propex units will be more efficient that the current set up but I'm concerned about BSC issues and wonder whether a seperate diesel tank plus Eber, Webo or similar might be a better idea.

If you have your re-test done before the expiry of the old cert and she fails, I'm presuming that you would have to get any faults sorted straight away..or maybe an expert can tell me otherwise?

• 3 months later...

As a result of recent experience, I thought I would add this here seeing as it is BSS stuff.

Four years ago, our boat passed the test with her existing fuel lines which were flexible steel wire armoured hoses crimped at each end. The examiner took the view that they were suitable and safe and passed the boat but to be fair, there were other boats with an identical setup which were failed because the lines had no ISO 7840 markings or equivalent. Even today, some pass some fail as it depends on the view of the examiner who I am not blaming in any way because if I were in their shoes, I would want to cover all possibilities.

If anyone needs to change hoses and hasn't got the facility to crimp the new lines, it is acceptable to use stainless steel jubilee clips provided they are BS kitemarked. The old crimps can be cut away with a hacksaw and the new hoses can then be fitted to the old nozzles using said clips. I am well informed that this will meet BSS requirements.

You can of course, claim suitability of any existing fuel lines provided the hose supplier, manufacturer or engine mariniser can sumbit supporting docments to satisfy the BSS.

As BMW are no longer in the marine sector, we had no choice but to alter them which was all done for effectively under 20 quid :wave

If anyone needs to change hoses and hasn't got the facility to crimp the new lines, it is acceptable to use stainless steel jubilee clips provided they are BS kitemarked.

Jim I think you need two clips on each hose end.... I had to .

I,m talking about petrol lins.¬

Interesting point Paul although in my case, I wanted to double clip them but as the pipe end wasn't long enough, only one would fit.

I can see your point in relation to petrol though, better safe than sorry cheers

Must remember that bit about the clips David, I need to refer to the relevant site to double check ;)

Hi all

thought this was a very good place to put in Rod's (Flyin Fortress) info, if you had your BSS done in 2004/5 you may well have it extended by the BA.

I checked with the BA today and mine was done in June 2004 and it qualifies for an extra year- whooopee what can I spend £140 on before her of the long hair and sticky out bits finds out!!

cheers Steve

JohnT

:Stinky

I was just going to raise that point Jimbo. Just because there is an extension of BSS for a year, doesn't necessarily mean the certificate would be classed as valid, and I reckon that could possibly give insurers an out in the event of a claim. Might just be worth checking...... :?

Hi

I am sure if you ask your insurers it would be fine, although the BA are condemened on every front, they can usually be relied upon to get something like this right, why else would they waste their time and ours and potentially put us at financial risk.

cheers

JohnT

:Stinky

May I suggest you ask your insurers. Failing that contact the engineer (the BSS office), not the oily rag (the Broads authority)

I would expect either of the former to give a useful reply, whilst I have no hopes of the BA :roll:

Good point Poppy,

We also got the BA extension for getting it done even before it became mandatory for most craft, let alone one of our size.

Our insurers are no problem, it's just down to a case of how the tester interprets the rules which is probably no different to MOT testers on cars.

I have to say, our examiner is a more than reasonable man but if I were in his position, I can fully understand his point of view. The comments he made to me made sense and privately, even he knows the regs are a bit daft at times. The bottom line is we now own a boat that is potentially more unsafe than it was before the fuel lines were upgraded to the ISO standard.

This scheme is supposed to make boats safer?? :shocked:shocked:shocked

Sorry Rod, on this occasion the BA are not entirely to blame, IMHO. It is more the responsibility of these pr**s at the BSS office in Watford, who are more used to dealing with those overblown sewer pipes floating in ditches elsewhere in the country, which are otherwise known as 'Narrow Boats'.

Flaming heck, they don't even seem to understand the difference in flash points and flammability between petrol and diesel.

Why on earth do we have to change perfectly serviceable fuel hoses for example, simply because they don't hav a purely arbitrary marking on them? If it's good enough for Volvo Penta, it's good enough for me! The MOT test does not prescribe such stupidity, and I would argue that this particular requirement (the MOT) has much more impact on transport safety than the BSS (across the WHOLE Inland Waterways network) ever has or will have!

For the vast majority it's jobs for the boys once again. Most boating accidents targeted by this scheme are caused by stupidity, and not test devised by man can avoid this, unfortunately.

P.S. Glad to be able to resume our 'normal' service. :naughty:

s.

I do still stand by my point my point that it was the poor knowledge of the BA of the type of craft that ply thier waters that went a long way towards the debacle that the introduction of the BSS turned out to be.

Rod

I fully agree :(:(:naughty::naughty::grin::grin: