Smellie but nice?

Guest smellyloo

I am not imagine for one old movement Prince Charles will set feet on that old trawller, harderly the QE2 Noggy boy

Much grander than that Rambo. Some notables are said to include Edward 8th and mrs. simpson, Charlie Chaplin and George Formby (who used to sting his yukelale with squirrel gut)

On the other hand of course they might not have.

You are quited corrective old pea Nog

Mrs Simpson was visit this boat , i am googlfy it and find this most evingdent picture

That is brilliant - made me laugh out loud. :-D :-D

Aah ... the lovely Doris! She certainly is a beauty.

Built in 1930 by J W Brooke at Lowestoft for Montague Evans at a cost of £3,960 .... that was a lot of money back then!! In her heydey she was considered to be one of the finest boats on the Broads, fitted out with a luxurious interior which included Axminster carpets and a large, china bath.

Whilst she has undoubtably suffered from neglect over the years, it's not fair to say that her current owners are guilty of that charge. Over the years she has been sunk for a time, and also suffered a major fire during the 1980s. The current owner had previously owned her for 10 years before selling her on, the fire happened after this time along with other neglect, but he bought her back a few years ago and I believe has spent somewhere in the region of £50k on restoring her exterior over a four year period. She was launched again in 2006. I think the plan was to then restore her interior to it's former glory and then she would become a floating, luxury hotel. As she was up for sale last year, I guess that the funds couldn't be raised to complete the work ........ but if my lottery numbers come up .... :-D

I spoke to someone a while ago who used to skipper Doris up the Ant to Barton regatta every year ... ususally with half a dozen white boats on tow!! :o

Carol

What an excellent thread. I did indeed see this craft in Beccles in May last year but couldn't say whether it was still there now. Interesting information about its history from Carol and others - not to mention that Rammy's picture nearly caused me to splutter tea all over my keyboard.

Hi Jonny

Do you mean that Picken Jack sold for £40k through NYA ... or Doris?

I haven't actually been through Beccles by river this year, so I'm not sure whether Doris is still there or not. I seem to remember her being on Ebay a few times with an asking proce of £75k, but didn't think she sold.

Pete, I hope that funds can be found to continue the restoration too - as you say, she is an historic vessel and it would be a great shame to lose her.

Carol

Hi Jonny

I haven't actually been through Beccles by river this year, so I'm not sure whether Doris is still there or not.

Carol

My original picture was taken at the end October.