The Beer, Beer and more Beer Tour

NorfolkNog

I heard!! I heard!!!! :lol:

The thought of being locked in, wow That WOULD be the mother of all hangovers :grin:

Rod, have a great time in sunny Norfolk (as I know you will) cheersbar

Humpty Dumpty just seem to be going from strength to strength at the moment, it is seriously worth seeking out – as their own slogan goes “cracking good alesâ€

Sorry about the tale, I haven’t gone away but have some serious right arm exercise planned for this evening so there may a brief hiatus…..but…I will be back!!!

cheersbarcheersbarcheersbar

Sorry got a bit behind with the tale, been in the pub a bit recently (sigh) and it’s not a good idea to grapple with the keyboard when you’ve had a few…

Sunday (continued)

Dragged ourselves away from the brewery and set off back to the boat armed with a few bottles of nectar and some cider for Mrs N. It was just starting to get dark and I got a couple of photos as we got back to the boat. I went over the ‘Nellie’ to investigate as Jon Collorick was due to appear. Sure enough the great man was there strumming his guitar. Mrs Nog had originally said that she wasn’t going out again but quickly changed her mind when she heard the music was on. We went back to the pub to discover some familiar faces (including the landlord) who had been up at the brewery that afternoon! Some excellent beer was on from the Milton brewery (Nero) so we had a very pleasant evening listening to Jon and guests. Had a chat with Jon later, it appears that he has run the pub in the past, so obviously knows it well. I think they call the landlord Bill (I’d had a few by then) but he very kindly bought us all a drink as it was his birthday. I also got one of Jon’s cd’s which we have been playing avidly since. Great evening and we eventually dragged ourselves back to the boat, I was glad we didn’t have far to go! Even got chatting to a very nice sailey in the pub, I think he said he kept his boat at Reedham. It’s amazing how everyone has more time in the winter and you can chat to people which you probably couldn’t do in the summer.

I must thoroughly recommend the Lord Nelson, if you’ve not been in recently please give it a try. They usually have Humpty Dumpty beer on and a warm welcome is assured, plus of cousre LIVE MUSIC. :band

http://www.lordnelsonpub.com/index.html

cheersbar

post-131-136713464767_thumb.jpg

post-131-13671346478_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713464791_thumb.jpg

Monday

Woke up with a bit of a hangover (can’t understand it). Mrs Nog had a stroll on the quay to feed her feathered friends. Anyway after a few coffees we said goodbye to Reedham and chugged off down river. I had toyed with the idea of looking in at Loddon but the thought of doing those posts didn’t appeal. We went through the bridge and I thought we’d have a look down the New Cut. We went down against the tide (it flows from the Yare end) but we had plenty of time. The narrowboats moored at the Haddiscoe end seem to be multiplying. Went through the bridge at St Olaves. Care is needed here at the moment as works are in progress and the river is blocked off with a gap left for navigation. As we were now going with the tide we floated along with very little throttle needed at all. I had thought of calling in at Goodchilds to get some water but the pontoon was blocked with their dredger. So we moored up outside the Fishermans. Great care is needed here as its quite a step up to the bank at low tide. We had obviously turned about to come in against the tide. This is crucial here and at Reedham and St Olaves. My plan was to wait so as to hit Yarmouth at least an hour after slack water as the tide takes a while to turn and flow up the Bure.

The Fishermans looked to be shut. I walked around the back of Goodchilds to see if the old steamer was still in their compound but it appears to have gone. Anyway time to cast off. We chugged across Breydon and you could feel the tide starting to flow particularly as we approached Breydon Bridge. I had remembered reading about the shifting sandbank and kept a fairly central course. It was a glorious afternoon and Yarmouth was bathed in sun. Round the yellow marker and back up the Bure.

post-131-136713464802_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713465101_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713465116_thumb.jpg

post-131-13671346513_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713465141_thumb.jpg

It appeared that the tide had started to flow up the Bure. The ebb tide runs fast and it a real pain going up the Bure against the tide if you are too early. All seemed to be well so we went under the bridges and past the yacht station. Apart from brief forays into ASDA I haven’t moored at Yarmouth for years. Will have to stop and have a look sometime, maybe visit the Mariners and the St Johns Head.

Anyway past the Marina and on up the Bure. I don’t mind this too much, many find this stretch boring but I look out for the boots and count the windmills and the time soon passes. Again getting the tide right is a big help. I was actually getting a bit worried because although the tides had worked well by leaving later, I was beginning to wonder if we would get to our planned destination of Acle before dark. We could of course have moored at Stracey Arms or Stokesby but we were keen to visit the excellent Bridge Inn.

It was getting dusk as we passed through Stokesby. Past Acle Dyke and it was getting quite gloomy!! We finally arrived at the Bridge as darkness fell. Having moored here on many occasions and with Mrs Nog’s expert assistance, we moored without mishap. We were both quite tired after our efforts the previous day, so a well earned snooze was in order.

Then it was up and off to the pub. Although it was Monday the Bridge was open although it was fairly quiet. Mrs Nog wasn’t hungry so I tucked into an excellent streak and ale pie served with chips and mushy peas. Yummy. I was a bit disappointed that the superb Wolf Golden Jackal had disappeared. However Wherry was back. I was a bit wary as this beer has not been good for a while. However I was delighted to find it was on excellent form. Phil came over for a most enjoyable chat and a few more Woodfordes were consumed. It appears that there have been problems but the beer seems a lot better now and in Phil’s safe hands, much improved. Phil has just gained Cask Marque accreditation in recognition of his skills in the cellar. Incidentally the Bridge also stocks the excellent (for a keg) Aspalls cider so Mrs Nog was like a donkey to strawberries.

The Bridge is an excellent pub. Phil and Ness have been in for about 18 months, so if you haven’t been in since do give it a try. You won’t be disappointed.

http://www.maypolehotels.com/bridgeinn/index.html

post-131-136713465153_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713465474_thumb.jpg

post-131-136713465485_thumb.jpg