You Know You Are Getting Old When...

Poppy

The Monte Python Four Yorkshire Men sketch has a lot to answer for and other than the Parrot sketch is still one of my favourites.

Buses when I last went to work on them were 10P for a 3.5 to 4 mile journey into Sheffield. Yep so full we would walk up to 3 stops before ours so there was more chance to get on the bus. The bus I tried to get was a number 3 from Mansfield (a slightly lower double decker to get under lower bridges had 5 seats per row on the upper deck and a narrow walkway at a lower level from the seats so you had to crouch down to step up to the seats or you hit your head on the roof,

Regards

Alan

Blinkin' 'eck, we only had BBC! Dad bought a TV for the 1953 Coronation. Before that the only TV I'd seen was  a projector sort of thing that showed a grossly poor picture on a silver screen. I actually inherited that TV, it survived  right up until the old 450 lines or whatever was turned off.  

I actually inherited that TV, it survived  right up until the old 450 lines or whatever was turned off.  

Yup remember our first tv 12" screen just BBC that was early 50's............ and my old nan had a tv in mid to late 50's with ITV on it when it came out. The old "H" ariel had to be replaced with a multi eliment one....   what a difference the 625 lines had over 405 lines on tv picture quality...

I still don't have an HD tv - please send money? :dance  :dance

I do remember the time I was the remote control though (read youngest) - having to get up and turn the dial to get onto the other channel.

I am obviously far too young for this conversation, but my earliest significant TV viewing I can recall was watching Neil Armstrong on Apollo 11 walk (or did he) on the moon back in 69.

Telly! Luxury! T'nearest we got to moving pictures when we wus kids was when your dad whacked you round t'head wi't Daily Mirror. If ye were sharp yer could see one o't' front page photos flying towards yer head before yer saw stars.

You've got to laff.

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 1

I remember when the coalman was filling the bunker and I had to hang around discretely and count the bags in.

Poppy said “Remember the Bond Minicar”

I remember it all right, I had one

35mph top speed downhill with a good wind behind it.

Brakes practically non-existent,

Remember experimental stereo? You had to position the radio 'x' distance from the television and tune both to whatever frequency it was and sit between them. Wow, it was mind blowing to hear a train or whatever going from one side of the room to the other. I believe it was on a Saturday morning they did this.

Walking to school with our sledges over 10 ft snowdrifts in the winter of '63. After the first week, we were allowed to wear long trousers! Painful rash on the back of your calves caused by cold welly boots slapping on bear legs.  

Happy days!

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 1