Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

BroadAmbition

Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Recommended Posts

we had said we were leaving at 3 pm to the boats around us, )though we had checked with the only boat we had blocked in and they were staying overnight, ok we were a bit later than planned, but were ready to slip at 3.15pm, so within an acceptable margin of error, and could easily have changed our minds and stayed a full 24 hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently a boat that arrived to find the moorings full had complained. Well in my book when one arrives to find any moorings full the only thing to do is wait or move on

The Dog Inn shifted some gear around and got the dartboard available for us last night. Well done and thanks to them

This morning it is cool and windy but still a bit of sunshine 

Griff

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Apparently a boat that arrived to find the moorings full had complained. Well in my book when one arrives to find any moorings full the only thing to do is wait or move on

Spot on. I reckon somebody who knew who you lot were was doing a bit of stirring. Hows about making it a "boy's fortnight" out in future, the you can really water 'em off.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Apparently a boat that arrived to find the moorings full had complained.

Griff

I really must try that when popping into Horning to re-stock the sausage store!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to the ranger, Bro said he was very pleasant. Just what would have done if we had decided to stay on for a while is anybody’s guess

Griff

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well what a blow. Here I am fishing from the Well deck of this ere Jewel. Catching plenty and now have to stop as duty galley slaves have got me a mug of whisky with a splash of finest Yorkshire tea accompanied by a FCE 

Griff

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Neatishead moorings weren't even full! I've seen it rammed with three abreast all the way down, and a few round the end. If a mooring's full, it's full - tough luck, move on. Or, as Sgt Major Williams might say - "Oh dear, how sad, never mind".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Well, the Neatishead moorings weren't even full! I've seen it rammed with three abreast all the way down, and a few round the end. If a mooring's full, it's full - tough luck, move on. Or, as Sgt Major Williams might say - "Oh dear, how sad, never mind".

Come off it - not full.     What if there was an emergency.   It is 24hr mooring for the sides of the Staithe not three abreast.   As it happens we all know (up to a point) the crews on board these boats and they are decent chaps but if they allow it for them then a group of lads could turn up late and do the same thing so no one could move.   In the colder days with heaters going not good at all and I personally would not like to be hemmed in like that, - bloody sardines come to mind.   Certainly not the peace and tranquillity that Neatishead Staithe normally provides.

 

 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Point taken. I should have put a "wink" emoji on it. But it was a normal occurrence in the 70's, and no-one complained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Come off it - not full.     What if there was an emergency. 

Sorry Hylander, but your post causes me to ask,  "What sort of "emergency" did you have in mind?" I can understand the concept of "inconvenience" under those circumstances, but not "Emergency"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

To be fair to the ranger, Bro said he was very pleasant. Just what would have done if we had decided to stay on for a while is anybody’s guess

Griff

 

Was it the 'Ex Copper '?  He does appear to be a rather a sensitive soul .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Hylander, but your post causes me to ask,  "What sort of "emergency" did you have in mind?" I can understand the concept of "inconvenience" under those circumstances, but not "Emergency"

I initially read Hylander's post and thought it was a bit of an over reaction, but your post has made me think some more about it. You ask what sort of emergency, well if someone was taken ill the road access there means that there shouldn't be a problem, which got me thinking about types of emergencies! In the situation that Regulo was talking about with three abreast all the way down the mooring, what would happen if a boat halfway down caught fire? How would the other boats easily manoeuvre around it and get out? In all other mooring situation I can think off, it would be fairly easy to untie the boats around a boat on fire and pull then to safety. At side on moorings you are not hemmed in, even on stern on moorings you can get away fairly easily, but if you were at the back of the mooring at Neatishead it would take some time to clear the centre and the unaffected side to clear the mooring. So on reflection perhaps not such an over reaction after all. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want to know is why in the pic Macie appears to have had an extreme makeover?:default_coat:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

A19E7A56-B735-49A7-9AFC-975D3587C933.jpeg

Sorry to see poor Macie looking so poorly on your foredeck! She has gone downhill since the start of your holiday. She is a "funny colour" best try her with a bit of fillet steak.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I initially read Hylander's post and thought it was a bit of an over reaction, but your post has made me think some more about it. You ask what sort of emergency, well if someone was taken ill the road access there means that there shouldn't be a problem, which got me thinking about types of emergencies! In the situation that Regulo was talking about with three abreast all the way down the mooring, what would happen if a boat halfway down caught fire? How would the other boats easily manoeuvre around it and get out? In all other mooring situation I can think off, it would be fairly easy to untie the boats around a boat on fire and pull then to safety. At side on moorings you are not hemmed in, even on stern on moorings you can get away fairly easily, but if you were at the back of the mooring at Neatishead it would take some time to clear the centre and the unaffected side to clear the mooring. So on reflection perhaps not such an over reaction after all. 

Let them burn if well alight. With gas bottles etc onboard. As long as all heads are accounted for, get away from them. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Hylander, but your post causes me to ask,  "What sort of "emergency" did you have in mind?" I can understand the concept of "inconvenience" under those circumstances, but not "Emergency"

Someone not feeling well but not enough to call the 'services' ,  just needing to get out of it.

 

Again I say - I am on the Broads to get away from people not to be sat cheek by jowl as they were that day.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a Supermoore in front of one of our Jewels in the middle too. Everyone was happy apart from one boat that turned up to find it full

Griff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this morning we have found moorings at Horning Staithe, we are double moored (with each others permission of course, and 3 more boats have turned up and been fitted in at the ends, so once again we are at a staithe that is now full (waits for rangers to turn up)

IMG_0426.JPG

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Hylander, I actually agreed with most of your post, it was just the "Emergency" I was at odds with (and still am)..

In the event of boat fire I agree with ChrisB , if small, tackle it, if large get the hell out and call 999. Let the experts deal with it. And that goes if boats are trapped or not.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Sorry to see poor Macie looking so poorly on your foredeck! She has gone downhill since the start of your holiday. She is a "funny colour" best try her with a bit of fillet steak.

If you had typed that in Korea would take on a whole new meaning !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now all craft at Acle Bridge Inn. This evening is our Dining Out night. We will be dressed up as Vicars. Ridiculous photos to follow in due course 

Griff

 

C5F29318-6110-463C-86E9-4A3D99555D66.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good girl 

see you’ve been watching your dad on the posing  front😂

John

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Our new mobile app is available now on Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.