Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

'B.A's bridge 'Lucky' passage theme music is actually    'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'

Griff

The Hateful Eight as you may know is a western, perhaps you don't know that the sound track has some pedigree to it having been written by the same Ennio Morricone that composed The Good The Bad and The Ugly only the Hateful Eight is a few decades younger... Hence I thought it might be more appropriate for Robin... Not that I'm saying you're old Griff, nor did I plan to say this of course!

• Like 3

Having just checked the wx forecast - It ain't looking good.  That's from this Wednesday night 01st onwards centred on Gt Yarmouth.

Wed - Overcast 12c 20mph N

Thurs - Overcast 12c 22mph N

Fri - Overcast 13c 15mph N

Sat / Sun is forecast as being a tad better but nowt to write home about.  I'm hoping to be over Breydon early Thurs Morning arriving WRC same day.

The tide times ain't looking good either.  Option 1) Night-nav from Stalham, hopefully sailing nlt 2000, over Breydon Wednesday night / Thursday morning as LW is 0100, and just keep on going to WRC non stop.  I am considering this, depends on moonlight / wind speeds etc.    Option 2) Wednesday overnight at Stracey Windpump, sail Thurs forenoon,  HW at GYA is 0827 which means timing it to arrive at the bridges on an ebb tide with enough headroom to clear - far from ideal if I arrive too early,  then from the Bure mouth to WRC all the way against the tide.  Not even as of yet considered the return trip (Need to be back on her home berth Sunday afternoon latest)  Oh well, a bad day afloat is far better than a good day in the office

Griff

• Like 2

I have did some filming for the ‘River Blogs’ when on board Broad Ambition, but thought I better get the write up done and post some photos of my latest trip – taken over the May Bank Holiday:

Friday 27th May:

Bit of an interesting trip to say the least.  I left work at lunchtime, caught the Tube to Victoria and then walked up to the Coach Station to catch the cattle truck – sorry Coach - to Norwich – but for under £8.00 it made sense.

IMG_1621.JPG

That was until an hour after departure we had only got to the Blackfriars Underpass – and so it went on, M11 massive tale backs, improved a little past Stansted but even on the A11 things we not flowing very well and a lot of start stop.  Our arrival to Norwich was almost two hours late.

Out of the bus station, over the road and to the large Sainsbury for provisions before a call for a cab to Stalham was made o take myself, shopping and luggage to the Wet Shed. 

By the time I had arrived at the boat, Shiela was well on her way having caught the 7:30pm train from Liverpool Street.  

I put the food away, watered up, removed ALL the blue shed fenders from the bow of the boat, made the beds and generally was all homely for Shiela’s arrival – which happened around 9:50pm – and I went to greet her at the door of the Wet Shed and before long was already in the dog house for getting the wrong noodles, spreadable cheese was not the right brand and so on – but worse was to come when I announced we would be sailing shortly for a night nav. 

At sometime past 10:00pm we set up our ‘red light’ system in the wheelhouse (Poundland bike lights) donned head torches and went through our departure plan which went perfectly and within a few minutes were heading past Broads Edge Marina on the River Ant – our destination Barton Broad. 

When we arrived on the Broad we had lost the inky black sky, and without any moonlight Shiela was on the bow with a torch in hand to spot the channel marker posts – with their whereabouts now known, we opted to drop anchor about 150ft from another boat that was likewise mud weighting on the Broad – and despite not being a requirement to do so on the Broads, was displaying his anchor light – good on you sir.  All was now still and peaceful, Pizza in the oven for a late dinner.  

At sometime around 3:00am I woke for the call of nature, and after answering such popped out into the aft well – it was truly magical.  The Moon was now up and looking amazing on the still water, which had a misty appearance – in the distance you could hear Geese and could well imagine seeing some ghostly boat making its way over the still waters of the Broad – but none was to be seen.

What shocked me as I pointed my torch at the water, was the thousands and thousands of shrimps that were to be seen, I could not tell if these were the native species or that of the invasive type that has been found on Barton but I was quite taken aback at how each square foot of water was packed with them.

Saturday 28th May:

We seemed to have been inflicted with some disability in the night, for try as we might we just could not seem to wake up properly and get our arses out of bed – eventually we did and then came the seemingly slow and endless process of getting ready.  Why I wonder does being afloat make you seem so knocked out compared to when you are at home? 

The temperature soon rose, the sun was out and we had the wheelhouse sides down and the view looking out over Barton Broad was delightful. 

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

Boat after boat made their way up the river to Statham returning to Richardson’s at the end of their holidays.  For Shiela and I it was a case of working out where to go, and what to do over breakfast – and we decided firstly to head to Gays Staithe, moor and walk to the Board Walk that overlooks Barton Broad.

DSC05357.JPG

DSC05346.JPG

DSC05350.JPG

We headed the short distance to the moorings, and found them very nice – it seems most boaters out at the moment were owners rather than hirers – boat secured we began our walk up to the main road, noting the loss of the rubbish bins along the way.  A quick check with Google told us we were headed in the right direction and time to trial a selfie stick on my camera.  It was so nice to be walking along in the Norfolk countryside, Shiela on the other hand was suffering badly with Hay fever – which is odd as it is usually me who suffers this when in Norfolk as viewers of Blogs I have made in the summer will have noticed. 

We arrived at the start of the Board Walk and may have offended the blind community – and captured the whole thing on camera. You see, Shiela pointed out to me a sign – it was in Braille and she said she could not read it.  I said that it made no sense since anyway, since if you were blind you surly would have to be with someone to tell you where the Braille sign was in order to reach out and understand what it was saying.

If therefore you had someone to direct you to the sign, would it not be better for that person to have described the scene before them to the blind person?

It went on like this with us discussing the fact that the sign was actually discriminatory since sighted people had no sign next to the Braille one to know what was being described, or to inform a blind person who could not reach the sign and feel the Braille – the fact I said that a Labrador could not help us in the situation only made the whole affair worse and we walked off then finding any evidence of discriminatory signage or seating – from signs too high for those in a wheelchair to seating to tall for short people like Shiela to sit on easily. 

Whatever happened to enjoying the natural environment and countryside I know not, but that is how Sheila and I roll.

Before long we were at the viewing area, nobody was around and we just sat and talked and watched the Broad and the sounds – well I did, Shiela was on Facebook.

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

We walked back a different way around the board walk and were back to the start once again and walking back to Gays Staithe.

Now back on the boat we still had no ‘end game’ as far as where we would head for the evening I mused about Coltishall but I knew it has been forecast a great deal of rain was due and I did not want to be in a position of wheelhouse canopy down and so on in the rain to get through Wroxham bridge the next day.  We therefore set off without a real destination in mind.

Down the Ant, it was now busy with boaters coming up and proceeding down with us – fortunately by the time we reached Ludham Bridge things were flowing well – that was until the a Broom 29 – Mystic Horizon/Brinks Duet/Siesta type was most unsure what side of the river it wished to be on, and indeed did they want to go through the bridge or not so we waited patiently and then proceeded through, a wave and hello to Alex and Lorna on Braveheart (they now have disco lights so be warned) we would be on the Bure shortly and I was going to turn right – yeah, I think so anyway, but did I want to go left? Oh we still pondered...

River Song approached heading upstream and Simon duly held something out the window, a book – ah yes that book I leant them oh maybe a year ago – so Shiela went to side deck to take it, and I came to a stop and then the wind and current took us where it wished and a simple task of taking a book from a passing boat soon saw the traffic on the river (one other boat) come to a stop. All was well and we were soon underway again, and I had decided we would be heading to Wroxham so it was a right hand turn on to the Bure.

It was busy – the Staithe at Ranworth would be full for sure but why not head down for a look and Shiela could set up her mini tripod and take a time lapse too. We arrived on Malthouse Broad – the sun was shining, the air was warm it was lovely.  As we arrived two boats over took us which was fine, and both managed to get a mooring before too long at the Satiate, we ventured off and once again had the mud weight down. 

Shiela was doing her thing and had done a bit to camera after a seeing a radio controlled boat and then spied over at the Staithe one of the Brinks Royale boats, that those who run the Norfolk Broads Boaters Facebook Group were holidaying on – well, it be cool to pop over and say hello and go to the pub for a drink – so when the Jolly Ritchie waved us over prior to their departure we duly ‘raised anchor’ and headed over to moor.  I had no idea that the two attempts that I would make at mooring, and the care taken to avoid nudging anyone’s boat at the Staithe would have caused after the event such a debate online, but having tried twice I called time on Ranworth and we duly left the Staithe behind – I am sure I will see Marilyn and Vaughan on the rivers another time and say hello, our destination now was Thurne Dyke and the Lion Inn.

We arrived at Thurne Dyke, having come through some of the field racing in the Thurne Mouth Regatta – excited times – but not as much as turning around at the end of the dyke.  Shiela bless her needs to learn that sometimes a boat might be caught by the wind and if it wishes to go in the direction the wind is blowing, so it will do and that is why we have things called Fenders and Rubbing Strakes.  What happened was as we almost completed our turn she got off the boat to keep it away from the quay heading, but then almost got left behind as I backed away.  No danger here, but would have been a bit of a walk for her back around the dyke unless she had planned on swimming over the narrow width! 

We moored up and popped down to the Lion for a couple of drinks – and booked a table for the evening.  

DSC05369.JPG

Back on the boat I was doing a spot of work, cleaning the outside windows when Broadland Mars came down to the dyke to moor – things were now pretty full – and they were looking to moor in front of us. They got the angle right, but way too much throttle then too much astern – you know the scene – so I called to the chap on the bow to pass the rope, and by now Shiela was out to take their stern rope.  The helm was under instructions to ‘just take it easy’ and in moments they were alongside and explaining how this was their first hire, having only taken over the boat the day before.

I explained how boats steered, not to use too much throttle, how to tie up and so on and they really lightened up.  I liked the fact they all had a mooring drill though, wore life jackets (even dogs) and later that evening had a row in their dinghy which showed the family were having a really nice time and perhaps their children will grow up to want to come back one day when older and re-kindle those happy memories of messing about on the water.

Time for dinner now – very nice it was too – but Sid still does things how he does them so I can see why some may see the Lion as much the same as Marmite – love it or hate it and not much of an in-between.  More drinks, had I was being nagged that I had drunk too much beer for the day and to ‘go home to the boat’ so we did and noted that the bins here have been replaced with a single wheelie bin, over flowing it was too.  What will things be like in July and August I know not!

DSC05377.JPG

Back on board we set up the iPad with the radio speakers and watched a few episodes of Big Bang Theory and then a far deeper and intellectual show, The Good Wife. I wanted to go for a walk as the sun set but Shiela’s alleges were going all out with puffy eyes, runny nose and generally feeling rubbish so she had an early night and I stayed up reading an old, charming book called Slow Boat Through England. 

1805092.JPG

Sunday 29th May:

Well, bullocks I thought looking through the window – where did the sunshine go? What is all this wind doing? Yep that was the nice weather gone and now it was back to a traditional British Bank Holiday. No rush to get up, do anything much really so it was gone 9:00am before I was vertical. We actually needed to go to Lathams however (I know mad eh?) but I wanted a storage box to put some boat gear of mine in for the locker in the Wet Shed, so it was decided Potter Heigham was our destination. 

We had no sooner untied and I was all set to take us down the dyke to the main river when Forth Bridge decided to let go in front of us. It was not as messy as that last sentence sounded, but none the less they were backing out (well done actually) but had the cheaters button of thrusters at their bow, meanwhile I had 8 tons of boat to try and not go into the boats moored up on our port side – it was fun to say the least, but with Sheila every ready to fend off we did not even rub fenders.

Now on the main river the wind really was gusting – and I knew two things: 1) we would have to turn the boat at Potter Heigham and 2) the wind would low us onto the bank so mooring would be easy, departure would be tricky. 

We duly arrived at the ‘Quite Moorings’ and the wind meant we drifted into the bank perfectly – ok so that’s not all true.  What actually happened was it helped us drift perfectly into the bank that is so, the fact it was outside someone’s Chalet just before the actual start of the moorings proper means nothing – right? We moved the boat a few feet down and all was good on Broad Ambition, log updated time to walk the short distance into the ‘metropolis’ that is Potter Heigham.

DSC05380.JPG

I stopped at the Pilots Office, looked in through the window 6’ 7” – urm wait I said to Shiela, I think my eyes are wrong, can you confirm that number...Yeah “Six Foot and Seven Inches” well blow me I said (she almost slapped me) I’ve not seen that much room under Potter Bridge for ages – we carried on walking to the main road, I was thinking..Wondering..Pondering..Nah I am not ready to do this bridge yet but I had a seed planted that was growing.

Hun I want to hire a day boat” – I got one of ‘those looks’ that told me never to mention that ever again – ever, but I committed the terrible sin of then saying “Oh let’s just see how much it is” – well that was it.  

Shiela is small, but my she can explode and I was duly told, at great length and volume how it was chilly and she was not warm and her hair was blowing all over and annoying her how her eyes were streaming and how could I – could anyone – knowing all this possibly, under any circumstances, be so stupid to suggest we get in a small noisy boat that would cost me money to get into and go somewhere that would look just the same as where were but with less boats. 

Point taken, tale firmly between my legs we went into Lathams. 

I was soon however forgiven when I noticed they were selling the Dove gift sets, complete with some shower gel, and purely pampering body oil with Pistachio and Magnolia in a wash bag for £3.99 – well the body oil alone retails elsewhere for£13.00, we also got some other things and my storage box too.

We had lunch in the Potter Tea Rooms – lovely, I mean really lovely and clean – some things are really good value, others I think a little pricey for Potter Heigham.  The real issue is the order taking, whereby you wait in line then are asked for table number and order – this was written down on a pad, the contents of the pad were then tapped into the till which duly printed on a slip containing all the details that were on the pad of paper...Cut out the paper part and speed up the process I say. 

By the time we were walking back to Broad Ambition it was smiles once again – however I was now nervous how to get the boat away from the quay heading, and turned to head downstream with this strong wind blowing. A Herbert Woods boat went first, they opted for power – and when that failed, more power and somehow with much rubber left on the wood of the quay heading, they were heading away.  I opted to use a spring line, then back away into the river before then making our 180 degree turn. It worked, though the owners on a Hampton moored behind us perhaps were a little unsure if they were going to be squashed.

The wind was showing no signs of giving in, the clouds were just as thick and grey but at least the temperature was increasing and as things go, pretty mild. We headed down the mouth of the Thurne and once more into the battle of sailing boats racing in the Regatta - by the time we were on the Bure headed towards Fleet Dyke the sailing boats were behind us and we took a little look down to South Walsham Broad - all the formal moorings were taken and a few boats were on the Broad itself on their mud weight - with the moorings at St. Benets likewise full my idea of mooring on the Ant might not be so easy as I envisaged and we may end up having t wild more.

We passed under Ludham Bridge - passed the moorings which were full and proceeded up river where some time later, to my astonishment the moorings at How Hill were busy, but with spaces - we turned around by where the boat sheds are and came back to moor almost opposite Turf Fen wind pump. 

This location takes me back to Saucy Gem 5 when I was 8 - before quay headings and when you had to use Rhonde Anchors in the soft grass banks here.  Shiela and I went for a walk, but it was clear as the late afternoon wore on the temperatures were rapidly dropping so back to the boat and on with dinner.

DSC05413.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

DSC05418.JPG

DSC05420.JPG

After dinner was had (cooked by yours truly and very nice it was too) it was a lazy evening, I popped out after sunset for some photos and experimentation with a torch and long exposures but I just had the wrong camera with me, not having a great deal of manual focus control they did not come out as sharp as I wished - back on board, it was time for an early night.

Monday 30th May:

Another grey day - light rain had fallen at some time but I was in no rush to leave our mooring so we stayed there for much of the morning and took the opportunity to back our cases and tidy the boat through. We departed and headed up the Ant to Sutton Staithe Boatyard for a pump out and re-fuel and for both we spent £42.00 which was not bad but waht did concern me was backing away from their slip, avoiding the bow of a visiting sailing boat and turning Broad Ambition with a stiff cross wind.  

In the end it could not have gone better, I do like the assistance you get with the rudder we now have fitted on Broad Ambition even when you are reversing.  It was then just a short cruise back to the Wet Shed where we attacked the boat with a Henry (hoover) and left her all ready for the next outing.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

If NO blue fender on the bow, its sure to be Griff! :naughty:

You know, if I was closer to Norfolk, I would love to have snuck up there with a blue fender and put it on the boat and scurried away leaving Charlie to scratch his head "I am sure I took all the fenders off the bow" - I think this is one of those things once I have done it once, I will never do again...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

You know, if I was closer to Norfolk, I would love to have snuck up there with a blue fender and put it on the boat and scurried away leaving Charlie to scratch his head "I am sure I took all the fenders off the bow" - I think this is one of those things once I have done it once, I will never do again...

I think it will be one thing you will never be allowed to forget.

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

You have taken the ribbing in good part , Robin, but I have to agree with Grendel, a certain Yorkie, will use it in his jokes vocabulary, as and when. Now where have I heard that expression before?:naughty:

cheersIain