Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Mike, THE Jack Powles died an age ago. ‘Young Jack Powles’ Died  9 years ago in his nineties. ‘Young Jack Powles ’ was the yard manager when ‘B.A’ was built. THE Jack Powles owner still alive at that time. 

The man in the photo is Terry Powles, (now in his seventies) son of Jack. His mum  in her nineties still with us  Terry wiorked at  Powles  when ‘B.A’ was built and on hire  we now have him and Dads signatures in our visitor book   

So honoured to have him onboard  he was well pleased to see his Dads signature in same nook  I will of course sent him some photos we have of his Dad 

Griff

• Like 8

Yesterday’s plans went to Hull in a handcart. We initially planned to leave Reedham around 1600-ish which would have been ok for the tides. However, by the time our vip left, then rescuing a mermaid that fell in aft of ‘B.A’ we gave up and stayed at Reedham. The nice man at the Nelson BBQ’d our food for us which we ate onboard then stayed in pub for t kariokee eventually getting onboard at silly o clock. 

The lady that fell In? Luckily for her the tide was not racing so we employed ‘B.A’s MOB ladder to get her onboard without hurting her. That’s the second time it has been used in anger that I know of. She fell in leaning into our well deck to fuss Macie dog. Sadly she did not require me to use mouth to mouth (The lady - not Macie dog) 

So here we are approaching Breydon, passing Berney windpump right now, HW was at 1030 at GYA. It is now 1100, so by the time we get to the yellow post we will be into a springs full ebb, glee and joy. I might have to wait on the Breydon pontoon for airdraft clearance for yacht station bridges too

Griff

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Blazing hot sunshine day. The whole of Breydon to ourselves on a bank holiday Monday too

Griff

41456415-E429-4E54-AF5A-76252D820FD5.jpeg

Um. Nice decks, very nice decks.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 20:05, BroadAmbition said:

Blimey ‘B.A’ ain’t small, she looks like Indy’s tender!

Griff

953CE52B-C3F8-4B57-97F3-C2285AB8C395.jpeg

When you see these 2 side by side, BA definitely looks like an ideal "Day Boat", I think you get my drift!:default_biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Afloat again. Another ace start to the day. Me n MrsG been up since 0630 and Macie dog too. It’s already hot with not a cloud in the sky. The river mist has lifted, its going to be a scorcher. 

Friday we sailed from t wetshed at 2330 heading for Paddy’s lane on arrival - no room at the inn. So across Barton we did go. The river mist was proper awkward so I elected to try for Irstead or failing that the first wild mooring we came across. Not one available slot was to be had at all. We eventually squeezed in at How Jill aft of the Wherry at about 0045, relieved. Had a bit of a moment on Barton avoiding a mudweighted craft in the channel with no lights showing. 

Saturday - up far too early again but a morning to die for. Stopped at Ludham Bridge briefly for shop n tackle shop. Saw a BA ranger three times move boats from the dismasting  mooring, MOBO’s that can’t or refuse to read. Sailed for GYA. Got told to slow down by a yacht alongside the chalet approaching Acle, even though I was below the limit, little wash and  well over next to the Stbd bank. He thanked me for slowing even though I hadn’t 

Arrived at GYA, horrors of horrors-  moored with the tide and got 8 out of 10 from the BA chap, he knocked me 2 marks for showing off he said.  Visited the Market, bought shellfish, then Aldi where even Robin was seen in there!

Sailed over Breydon against tide all the way to Reedham Ferry. Had a 1 x cable race against Trixie. Trixie is about 3 x tons wet through with 43 horses available and little drag. ‘B.A’ has 50 horses, 8 x ton and more drag. The old girl had Trixie’s pants down with ease.

Arrived at Reedham Ferry for 1800. Booked a table for dinner,  well tried to but fully booked so dinner onboard then into Pub for a drink or two with that scallywag Boycee, 

Well before the witching hour we had turned in. Me N MrsG then behaved like honeymooners ( Ok, I made that bit up)

Yesterday  was hot hot hot, thankfully a breeze assisted us. Today however the forecast to be hotter with less breeze. In this scenarios we have to put the canopy back up for shade, we will see. Time for poached eggs n toast

Griff

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Afloat again. Another ace start to the day. Me n MrsG been up since 0630 and Macie dog too. It’s already hot with not a cloud in the sky. The river mist has lifted, its going to be a scorcher. 

Friday we sailed from t wetshed at 2330 heading for Paddy’s lane on arrival - no room at the inn. So across Barton we did go. The river mist was proper awkward so I elected to try for Irstead or failing that the first wild mooring we came across. Not one available slot was to be had at all. We eventually squeezed in at How Jill aft of the Wherry at about 0045, relieved. Had a bit of a moment on Barton avoiding a mudweighted craft in the channel with no lights showing. 

Saturday - up far too early again but a morning to die for. Stopped at Ludham Bridge briefly for shop n tackle shop. Saw a BA ranger three times move boats from the dismasting  mooring, MOBO’s that can’t or refuse to read. Sailed for GYA. Got told to slow down by a yacht alongside the chalet approaching Acle, even though I was below the limit, little wash and  well over next to the Stbd bank. He thanked me for slowing even though I hadn’t 

Arrived at GYA, horrors of horrors-  moored with the tide and got 8 out of 10 from the BA chap, he knocked me 2 marks for showing off he said.  Visited the Market, bought shellfish, then Aldi where even Robin was seen in there!

Sailed over Breydon against tide all the way to Reedham Ferry. Had a 1 x cable race against Trixie. Trixie is about 3 x tons wet through with 43 horses available and little drag. ‘B.A’ has 50 horses, 8 x ton and more drag. The old girl had Trixie’s pants down with ease.

Arrived at Reedham Ferry for 1800. Booked a table for dinner,  well tried to but fully booked so dinner onboard then into Pub for a drink or two with that scallywag Boycee, 

Well before the witching hour we had turned in. Me N MrsG then behaved like honeymooners ( Ok, I made that bit up)

Yesterday  was hot hot hot, thankfully a breeze assisted us. Today however the forecast to be hotter with less breeze. In this scenarios we have to put the canopy back up for shade, we will see. Time for poached eggs n toast

Griff

It aint horses or weight with displacement it is waterline length that counts. Your Hull Speed is 1.34 × square root of LWL = SPEED IN KNOTS. All imperial so waterline in feet. Look how Trixie is digging in BA would not do so until a much higher speed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1