Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Apparently if Robin puts it directly on here it uses a lot of them there byte thingy’s. It needs uploading to YouTube. So, as we are going back through PHB today I’ll get one of my lot to video the event then ask Robin to put the two together and upload them to YouTube, link posted on here and Robert is your Dads brother. 

This morning - paid the water Balliff for our overnight mooring fees (£5) then asked him about the possibility of taking ‘B.A’ up to head of navigation at Waxham Cut. His reply was - it’s ‘maintained’ by the Broads Authority. So it’s very shallow and weedy and have you got all day?  Catch 22 river levels are low hence us being here, = shallow water in the cut and I really do need to be at PHB for a 1200 Bridge shoot 

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We normally moor at Waxham cut but at present at Gayes Staithe (Lord Paul and members on Magellan also here and I think some other members left as we arrived. Bit worrying about fires in Waxham cut fields. The depth isn't too bad, the width (just reeds that push to the sides) is a bit narrow e just before the mill. We take a leisurely cruise up and down and it takes about 20 mins. Each way. Sometimes have to reverse to clear weeds but only once last time. Can be a bit shallow at the entrance to the dyke but we need more people to use it!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In reply to Polly's comment about the fire service being at Horsey some weeks back.  When we walked along the path that goes along Waxham Cut a couple of days ago it looked like some controlled burning had been going on between the path and the fields along a good stretch of the cut.  The trees (mostly silver birches) that border the path had been burnt back, cut and the remains collected in little piles along a section stretching about 200 yards, but the trees and undergrowth on the other side of the path were untouched, which I why I assumed it was a controlled burn.

Helen

• Thanks 2

Cheap jar of jam with a couple of holes in the top works a treat as a wasp trap.

How did you get on with the weed heading up to Coltishall?

We struggled terribly. Would have been better with a ride on lawn mower!