Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

After the normal FCE we sailed in company with Trixie for Sutton Boatyard for the customary pump out and diesel refill - 34 x Ltrs this time then round to our home berth for a clean ship in the normal manner. we departed for home at 1445 so I was home for 1830 - Traffic was somewhat busy.

We visited in order, Ludham Bridge, Thurne Dyke (Overnight) Potter Heigham, Hickling, Horsey dyke (Overnight) Potter Heigham, Ranworth Staithe, Wroxham (Overnight),  Coltishall, Horning (Overnight), Sutton yard and of course Stalham  We had five crew onboard, all ex RN from D88 HMS Glasgow (We were one light).

Stuff:-

The rivers this time of year seem to be inundated with jaspers, the Malthouse pub gardens were particular bad.  Traditionally I recall that we normally got jaspers in numbers in September, they are early this year.  Take fly swatters with you for some sport.

We towed a rag-n-stick for a short while along Meadow Dyke, its a bit narrow down there.

We came so close to having a proper collision with a day boat between Salhouse and Wroxham, the helm was a girly that can't have been older than ten with Mum and Dad sat aft nowhere near her, I had to use all the helm / Beta at my disposal to avoid them, she just turned directly in front of us, then did it again to another craft after we had avoided them.

The NBB FB page went over 100 comments on 'B.A' shooting that bridge after one of their members posted a video from the bridge

We were well chuffed at spending a night above that bridge.  Missed out on a trip up Waxham cut though.  The shore side facilities at Horsey - showers / toilets / cafe and even waste disposal are really very good

We bumped into a lot of friends I know, a lot more that I know but could not remember their names.  Even the TV camera man that came onboard and filmed 'B.A' at Potter Heigham on the day we set off for Lake Loathing back in 2012, he popped along to say Hi.

Trying to sleep one particular evening was somewhat taxing due to the heat

The amount of scantily clad deck totty afloat and in the riverside pub gardens was the best both in quality and numbers there has been in years (So I am informed)

The highest temperature we saw on our onboard wx station was 35:5C in the shade, recorded today at Sutton at about 1330, it probably got hotter too but we took refuge in the wet-shed

The rivers were busy but not ridiculously so

Plenty of the usual wildlife out on view but did not see an otter or a Bittern

The fishing was so so, some areas not much doing other areas it was going bonkers

We did not see too many speeding craft at all, no one trolling, no one being dragged along in the water, no stupidity at all really.  We did see folk in the water but at safe places.  The pubs etc were really doing a roaring trade everywhere we went.

All in all a really good time afloat, the Broads are buzzing, lots of happy smiley faces everywhere, the shops n pubs are busy, everyone is respecting each other too, the weather is awesome.  This in my eyes is just how the Broads should be.

Now counting down again to the 16th, a week on Thursday when it'll just be me and MrsG with Macie dog afloat for thirteen days.  First stop Oulton Broad, then onto Beccles with a C-in-C for their annual carnival weekend and of course the main event - The Wooden Boat Show. After that come Monday onwards  - One Eyed Stag, wherever the mood takes us

Griff

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

The amount of scantily clad deck totty afloat and in the riverside pub gardens was the best both in quality and numbers there has been in years (So I am informed)

Can you reveal the identity of the so called informer, as you are a married man!:default_biggrin:

• Sad 1

"Deck Totty" 

You must have been on a different river to me yesterday! Some of us of a certain age were reminiscing Reginald Perrins sub- conscious vision of his mother-in-law as a trotting hippo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'd have liked to have seen that video but don't do Facebook. Is there any other way of viewing it does anyone know??? 

The short answer is no, as once uploaded on Facebook it is only there to be seen. However, I do have the video filmed from on BA that was sent to me over WhatsApp - issue here is getting it off my phone and up on You Tube as if I simply post it here it will use valuable space on the NBN Servers. I will see if there is a You Tube App that allows you to upload to from your phone. Edited: No App required is built in to the forwarding options on an iPhone :)

22 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

After the normal FCE we sailed in company with Trixie for Sutton Boatyard for the customary pump out and diesel refill - 34 x Ltrs this time then round to our home berth for a clean ship in the normal manner. we departed for home at 1445 so I was home for 1830 - Traffic was somewhat busy.

We visited in order, Ludham Bridge, Thurne Dyke (Overnight) Potter Heigham, Hickling, Horsey dyke (Overnight) Potter Heigham, Ranworth Staithe, Wroxham (Overnight),  Coltishall, Horning (Overnight), Sutton yard and of course Stalham  We had five crew onboard, all ex RN from D88 HMS Glasgow (We were one light).

Stuff:-

The rivers this time of year seem to be inundated with jaspers, the Malthouse pub gardens were particular bad.  Traditionally I recall that we normally got jaspers in numbers in September, they are early this year.  Take fly swatters with you for some sport.

We towed a rag-n-stick for a short while along Meadow Dyke, its a bit narrow down there.

We came so close to having a proper collision with a day boat between Salhouse and Wroxham, the helm was a girly that can't have been older than ten with Mum and Dad sat aft nowhere near her, I had to use all the helm / Beta at my disposal to avoid them, she just turned directly in front of us, then did it again to another craft after we had avoided them.

The NBB FB page went over 100 comments on 'B.A' shooting that bridge after one of their members posted a video from the bridge

We were well chuffed at spending a night above that bridge.  Missed out on a trip up Waxham cut though.  The shore side facilities at Horsey - showers / toilets / cafe and even waste disposal are really very good

We bumped into a lot of friends I know, a lot more that I know but could not remember their names.  Even the TV camera man that came onboard and filmed 'B.A' at Potter Heigham on the day we set off for Lake Loathing back in 2012, he popped along to say Hi.

Trying to sleep one particular evening was somewhat taxing due to the heat

The highest temperature we saw on our onboard wx station was 35:5C in the shade, recorded today at Sutton at about 1330, it probably got hotter too but we took refuge in the wet-shed

The rivers were busy but not ridiculously so

Plenty of the usual wildlife out on view but did not see an otter or a Bittern

The fishing was so so, some areas not much doing other areas it was going bonkers

We did not see too many speeding craft at all, no one trolling, no one being dragged along in the water, no stupidity at all really.  We did see folk in the water but at safe places.  The pubs etc were really doing a roaring trade everywhere we went.

All in all a really good time afloat, the Broads are buzzing, lots of happy smiley faces everywhere, the shops n pubs are busy, everyone is respecting each other too, the weather is awesome.  This in my eyes is just how the Broads should be.

Now counting down again to the 16th, a week on Thursday when it'll just be me and MrsG with Macie dog afloat for thirteen days.  First stop Oulton Broad, then onto Beccles with a C-in-C for their annual carnival weekend and of course the main event - The Wooden Boat Show. After that come Monday onwards  - One Eyed Stag, wherever the mood takes us

Griff

Glad to see it's not just me who loves the buzz of the North Broads in summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'd have liked to have seen that video but don't do Facebook. Is there any other way of viewing it does anyone know???

I've saved it from Facebook and I can email it to you if you send me your email address. (it's only 1.9mb)

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

The short answer is no, as once uploaded on Facebook it is only there to be seen. However, I do have the video filmed from on BA that was sent to me over WhatsApp - issue here is getting it off my phone and up on You Tube as if I simply post it here it will use valuable space on the NBN Servers. I will see if there is a You Tube App that allows you to upload to from your phone. Edited: No App required is built in to the forwarding options on an iPhone :)

How to save Facebook video

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Thanks Robin, fantastic stuff :91_thumbsup:

Steve, is this a different video to the ones Robin has kindly posted? If so I can send you an email address, I also have WhatsApp if that's any good? 

Many thanks  :default_beerchug:

Yes it's the one posted on Facebook. Whatsapp or email works for me :)

Music can sometimes add a lot to an occasion. When I was truck driving, and had to take a 40 ton arctic round the Peripherique in Paris, I used to get myself into the second lane (of 4), put "the ride of the valkyries" at full volume on the stereo, establish myself at a steady 70KPH and let all the mad French treat me as a mobile roundabout.

Just hum the tune to yourself, and imagine it!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, scaniaman said:

I used to do mesun dorma to an audience of one on the M62,quite soothing

paul

I have always associated that beautiful piece with something fast, red and Italian.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Victoryv said:

Ducati ?

Ducati, ferrari or Alfa. All beautiful! BUT, will it start on a frosty English morning?

If I had the money to spend on a car and was very very brave, as a shooting and fishing man my choice would be the Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio SUV.

Top Tilt 176 mph and 0 to 62 mph in 3.8 seconds. But would it start? Would the door handle fall off? £67K of engine £500 for the rest of the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that was a challenge, night nav from Richo’s alongside at Paddy’s Lane for 2315. No moonlight but plenty of wind n rain. All safe n secured. Special cargo as from 2215 is Grandson with his mum. Nightcap then lights out. Malthouse Broad tomorrow maybe 

Griff