Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

we had said we were leaving at 3 pm to the boats around us, )though we had checked with the only boat we had blocked in and they were staying overnight, ok we were a bit later than planned, but were ready to slip at 3.15pm, so within an acceptable margin of error, and could easily have changed our minds and stayed a full 24 hours.

• Like 1

Apparently a boat that arrived to find the moorings full had complained. Well in my book when one arrives to find any moorings full the only thing to do is wait or move on

The Dog Inn shifted some gear around and got the dartboard available for us last night. Well done and thanks to them

This morning it is cool and windy but still a bit of sunshine 

Griff

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Apparently a boat that arrived to find the moorings full had complained. Well in my book when one arrives to find any moorings full the only thing to do is wait or move on

Spot on. I reckon somebody who knew who you lot were was doing a bit of stirring. Hows about making it a "boy's fortnight" out in future, the you can really water 'em off.

• Like 4

Well, the Neatishead moorings weren't even full! I've seen it rammed with three abreast all the way down, and a few round the end. If a mooring's full, it's full - tough luck, move on. Or, as Sgt Major Williams might say - "Oh dear, how sad, never mind".

13 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Well, the Neatishead moorings weren't even full! I've seen it rammed with three abreast all the way down, and a few round the end. If a mooring's full, it's full - tough luck, move on. Or, as Sgt Major Williams might say - "Oh dear, how sad, never mind".

Come off it - not full.     What if there was an emergency.   It is 24hr mooring for the sides of the Staithe not three abreast.   As it happens we all know (up to a point) the crews on board these boats and they are decent chaps but if they allow it for them then a group of lads could turn up late and do the same thing so no one could move.   In the colder days with heaters going not good at all and I personally would not like to be hemmed in like that, - bloody sardines come to mind.   Certainly not the peace and tranquillity that Neatishead Staithe normally provides.

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Come off it - not full.     What if there was an emergency. 

Sorry Hylander, but your post causes me to ask,  "What sort of "emergency" did you have in mind?" I can understand the concept of "inconvenience" under those circumstances, but not "Emergency"

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

To be fair to the ranger, Bro said he was very pleasant. Just what would have done if we had decided to stay on for a while is anybody’s guess

Griff

Was it the 'Ex Copper '?  He does appear to be a rather a sensitive soul .

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Hylander, but your post causes me to ask,  "What sort of "emergency" did you have in mind?" I can understand the concept of "inconvenience" under those circumstances, but not "Emergency"

I initially read Hylander's post and thought it was a bit of an over reaction, but your post has made me think some more about it. You ask what sort of emergency, well if someone was taken ill the road access there means that there shouldn't be a problem, which got me thinking about types of emergencies! In the situation that Regulo was talking about with three abreast all the way down the mooring, what would happen if a boat halfway down caught fire? How would the other boats easily manoeuvre around it and get out? In all other mooring situation I can think off, it would be fairly easy to untie the boats around a boat on fire and pull then to safety. At side on moorings you are not hemmed in, even on stern on moorings you can get away fairly easily, but if you were at the back of the mooring at Neatishead it would take some time to clear the centre and the unaffected side to clear the mooring. So on reflection perhaps not such an over reaction after all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

A19E7A56-B735-49A7-9AFC-975D3587C933.jpeg

Sorry to see poor Macie looking so poorly on your foredeck! She has gone downhill since the start of your holiday. She is a "funny colour" best try her with a bit of fillet steak.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I initially read Hylander's post and thought it was a bit of an over reaction, but your post has made me think some more about it. You ask what sort of emergency, well if someone was taken ill the road access there means that there shouldn't be a problem, which got me thinking about types of emergencies! In the situation that Regulo was talking about with three abreast all the way down the mooring, what would happen if a boat halfway down caught fire? How would the other boats easily manoeuvre around it and get out? In all other mooring situation I can think off, it would be fairly easy to untie the boats around a boat on fire and pull then to safety. At side on moorings you are not hemmed in, even on stern on moorings you can get away fairly easily, but if you were at the back of the mooring at Neatishead it would take some time to clear the centre and the unaffected side to clear the mooring. So on reflection perhaps not such an over reaction after all. 

Let them burn if well alight. With gas bottles etc onboard. As long as all heads are accounted for, get away from them. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Someone not feeling well but not enough to call the 'services' ,  just needing to get out of it.

Again I say - I am on the Broads to get away from people not to be sat cheek by jowl as they were that day.

• Sad 1

this morning we have found moorings at Horning Staithe, we are double moored (with each others permission of course, and 3 more boats have turned up and been fitted in at the ends, so once again we are at a staithe that is now full (waits for rangers to turn up)

IMG_0426.JPG

• Haha 5

Sorry Hylander, I actually agreed with most of your post, it was just the "Emergency" I was at odds with (and still am)..

In the event of boat fire I agree with ChrisB , if small, tackle it, if large get the hell out and call 999. Let the experts deal with it. And that goes if boats are trapped or not.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Sorry to see poor Macie looking so poorly on your foredeck! She has gone downhill since the start of your holiday. She is a "funny colour" best try her with a bit of fillet steak.

If you had typed that in Korea would take on a whole new meaning !

• Like 1