Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

LOL for the write up and the blog too

But OY - 'Pretty Good Tiler' :shocked  Whaddya mean 'Pretty Good' ?/of course what you really meant to say was 'Excellent Tiler' didn't you?  No?  well you will when you see your Dads new bathroom!

Anyroadup Looking forward to seeing you a week on Friday mate

Griff

In episode six after having dropped my dad off at Horning for him to visit the shops and collected him we are Wroxham Bound and take opportunity to pop into Wroxham Broad to bring down the the mast and windscreen - something that is usually simple seemed this time to take far longer. 

We left and a short while later were passing Barnes Brinkcraft, I handed the reins of the Blog to my Dad and despite having taken Broad Ambition under Wroxham Bridge before, what with the tension from earlier on with our father and son grumbles I was now rather nervous – silence on the boat – I took my time to line up only to have to steer towards the Hotel Wroxham as a day boat came through towards us.  Back on course, horn sounded I had a moment where I thought the spot light would be lost, but all was well with 6ft 7” showing at the bridge we were soon through and time to stern more at the public moorings.  My dad then could depart for more shopping this time in Roys.

An hour later he was not onboard and I rang him to see how long he may be – his phone duly rang in his cabin.  Still more time passed and I was very much aware that as we approached 4:00pm the popular moorings would be taken (it was unusually busy everywhere) so should we stay where we were (but my Dad would likely complain of being moored stern on between other boats) or perhaps continue to Coltishall?  

Just as I pondered these things my Dad returned with several Roys bags – more soup had been got, bread rolls and some crisps too.  He too had been thinking on where to go and it was Horning.  Horning!, Dad you saw how busy it was when we came through this morning there is simply no way we will get moored there for a pub meal  now.  We need another plan – and so with the likelihood of moorings being full at Ludham Bridge (too far for walking to the Dog Inn) it was between the Lion at Thurne Dyke or the Bridge Inn at Acle.

As we came under Wroxham Bridge (harder from the Coltishall side) we were in the chaos of a returning picnic boat waiting to moor at Faircraft Loynes just as a smaller day boat cut round it’s port side – another day boat further up, a centre cockpit Alpha just turning on to the main river from Faircraft’s yard and then Dazling Light from Herbert Woods continues to just ‘pull out’ into the river – back on the horn and he gives way, only then for the chap at the day boat quay to shout “It’s too loud - bloody hell!”

We got back to Wroxham Broad where we spent even more time with the canopy trying to get this up finally done we could proceed once again.  Through Horning (full) past Cockshoot where we saw Eric on Brinks Rhapsody clearly unhappy, a lot of traffic about and passing St. Benet’s and once again were all full.  I decided that if we went to the Lion and the moorings were full where would we go then – also I would have to cook Chicken Chasseur which frankly I would prefer some nice pub grub and an easier evening not in the galley.  The Bridge Inn was decided and we turned for Acle at the confluence of the Bure and Thurne.

By the time we arrived it was as predicted getting towards dusk, all moorings taken – even in Horizon Craft  - but then I spied Morning Swan who was out with his family and friends also having hired Antigua from Richardson’s – the radio burst into life it was Paul – only I could not seem to transmit back, so on the phone it was.  “Can we come alongside Antigua” sure Paul said and so we turned to come into moor against the slowly ebbing current.

We ended up coming in to moor alongside Morning Swan and once safely moored and a quick chat it was time to put the heating on for the temperature had rapidly dropped and the dew was really beginning to form.   Later we went over the Bridge Inn, there was a free table in the bar but my Dad felt this was ‘too exposed’ so Phil kindly put us in the restaurant after a short wait – I had a Burger (lovely) my dad Cod and chips (moaned that the sauces cam in a pot not squeezy bottle) and his fish could have been better.  It looked very nice from where I was, but of course this was fast becoming a trip of shopping and grumbles for him.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I caught up with videos 5 & 6 a couple of days ago Robin and I can honestly say they were the best so far. I enjoyed the honest, personal slant you put on things (like the relationship with your Dad) and the footage of the Wroxham bridge negotiations was great. (You're a braver man than me!). The shots near the end of part 6 of the sunset towards Acle were also great,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

Good to see another Robin, Shame it's the last.. although I think I need to call you abit of a chicken.. I was expecting some winter blogs ;) Certainly keep them going we all need them! cheers 

Alan,

Robin requires to go ooop North (Doncaster) first for some WINTER weather Training. :naughty: The southern softies feel the cold below 21c! :naughty:

cheersIain.

5 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Lol Iain.. Aren't you a border town scot? I've stood outiside at bloody hogmany at -15dc one year.. that was erm "fun"!

Alan,

I have worked up in the Highlands in winter where it was -22c and I was delighted to be INDOORS! We are in the Gulf Stream in Ayrshire, and winters in general pretty mild if a bit on the wet and windy side. IF it snows here, it usually means the rest of the UK has grind to a halt!

cheersIain.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well that didn't go to plan.  I had hoped to be onboard Thursday evening 3rd but didn't get onboard until late Friday night. Consequently I didn't get half the items attended to that I wanted to as I had to leave for home Saturday afternoon.   However the new mooring ropes are now onboard and the oven now works on full power once more, it simmers too but nowt inbetween and there is a tiny gas leak - the new controller is faulty so I will have to change that yet again, Who would be a boat owner?

However the good news is that I will now get another visit in before Christmas break - Good news

Griff

The actual gas leak is showing on the bubble tester as 1 bubble about every 20 seconds - Not a lot, but not good enough, if I 'Fiddle' with the control knob the leak stops - again not good enough.  So I have ordered a second new replacement unit which is on its way to me and will be fitted this month.

Single hob self contained / wood burner in the well-deck?  Far tooooooooo windy, not to mention the mess

Griff

BA_NBN_159.JPG

• Like 1

'B.A's traditional Christmas Cake

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY !!

Once again this year, I’ve had requests for my Vodka Christmas Cake recipe so here goes.

Please keep in your files as I am beginning to get tired of typing this up every year! (Made mine this morning!!!!)

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1 cup water

1 tsp. salt

1 cup brown sugar

Lemon juice

4 large eggs

Nuts

2 cups dried fruit

1 bottle Vodka

Sample a cup of Vodka to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Vodka again to be sure it is of the highest quality then Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the Vodka is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver Sample the Vodka to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the Vodka. Now sh1t shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the Vodka and wipe the counter with the cat.

Griff

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

'B.A's traditional Christmas Cake

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY !!

Once again this year, I’ve had requests for my Vodka Christmas Cake recipe so here goes.

Please keep in your files as I am beginning to get tired of typing this up every year! (Made mine this morning!!!!)

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1 cup water

1 tsp. salt

1 cup brown sugar

Lemon juice

4 large eggs

Nuts

2 cups dried fruit

1 bottle Vodka

Sample a cup of Vodka to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Vodka again to be sure it is of the highest quality then Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the Vodka is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor, wash it and put it in the bowl a piece at a time trying to count it. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver Sample the Vodka to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the Vodka. Now sh1t shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the Vodka and wipe the counter with the cat.

Griff

Thanks Griff,:clap that was all RUSSIAN to me!:naughty: Well I said it before someone else did !

xmas6Iain.

Another flying visit, onboard Monday morning around 0130, annoyingly no replacement oven controller with me as the suppliers have let me down despite having being paid and promising me.

Still had a clean through and a trip out, solo cruising not even Macie dog with me on this one, overnighted at Horning New Inn, side on berth which is not the norm.  Had a very nice steak in the company of Jason (SOS24-7) a circuit of Malthouse Broad back to base Tuesday afternoon.

The Broadsword team have been out doing their improvements again, the section opposite How Hill moorings has been cut back, now much wider for passing craft, the same thing done opposite Irstead residences - much better, I hope they have managed to do the same on the dyke leading into Sutton Staithe but did not visit to see.

LBBy was shut with no sign of life as I passed on both occasions  - This was not the case when Jason was in charge - it hardly ever shut.  Airdraft at Ludham Bridge was only 7ft9" which gave me two inches clearance without having to lower canopy / windscreen which was a relief.  The rivers were very quiet, I saw only one other craft underway on my trip from Stalham to Horning and just one more on the return leg - both privateers.  It was a bit breezy on both days but nothing to get concerned about.

That's my time afloat for this year brought to a close. although 'B.A' will be out and about over the New Year if all goes to plan.

Looking at 'B.A's statistics, by the 31st Dec she will have been crewed up for 104 days this year, this is good stuff, the more she is used, the more she is looked after and hopefully improved.

Her Beta Marine engine is now a shade off 2'250 running hours since new.  When she hits 2'250 x Hrs that means a Major service, which includes oil change on the gearbox too.  Major services are due every 750 x Hrs, minor services at 250 x Hrs, these have all been diligently done on time by yours truly.  Looks like another trip down in January then for me with my engineers hat on.  The joys of being a boat owner - And I'm loving it

Griff

• Like 8