• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

BroadAmbition

Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

So, where was I?

Tuesday Evening Robin collected us, three of us spent the evening in Norwich. Back onboard very late. 

Wednesday morning, stunning close up display from pair of otters, filmed them, will upload to YouTube when home. It was the off to home berth to collect a  third crew member for a few days onboard with us. The wind over Barton was ‘Stiff’. Sailed about midday for a side on overnight mooring at Ranworth. This time 7ft8” at Ludham Bridge so no repeat of Tuesdays nightmare 

Griff

• Like 3

Now when we left Irstead I had put far too much credit on t meter, we left 78p behind, not well chuffed. However on arriving at Ranworth Staithe there was 87p on the meter - Bargain, what goes round comes round. 

We spent from 1430-ish right through to 2200 in the pub!, but we were pacing sensibly so no issues. 

Thursday, sailed for Wroxham via an in / out of Salhouse & Wroxham Broads, just cos we could. 

Plenty of Pike fishermen on the river.

Arrived at the Bridge to find only 6ft2” airdraft available. B.B were toppers, the likes of us not permitted into NBD so Hotel Wroxham moorings it was.  £10 fee.

Visited a few shops, flowers for MrsG, well it was Valentine’s Day. A few drinks in the hotel bar - v. expensive. Nearly £4:00 for a pint of coke n ice. I went back to the bar, asked for a pint of San Miguel, asked if it was £8:00, a regular overhead and quipped ‘Don’t give them any ideas’

Sailed after 1500 for Acle Bridge, St Benets, on Nav lights, had to change the Port red Led whilst underway as it had failed.

Arrived in darkness, alongside on a very high tide. Dinner for three in The Bridge Inn

Griff

• Like 7

Prices in Hotel Wroxham bar are eye watering particularly for us Yorkshire folk!  :default_swordpir:

• Like 2

Friday 14th Feb - Valentines Day

Steve left for his Lincolnshire home before 0800 (collected his car from Stalham previous day). 

I ditched the gash noticing that the public toilets were locked shut. We had coffee n a catchup in the pub with Phil n Ness before they opened

We sailed at 1100, nice morning with only a stiff breeze to Womack Water as MrsG needed sommat or other and Womack was the nearest facility that is open. Left WW bound for Sutton Staithe. The wind had increased slightly but still a nice day. I was aware of the high water levels. 

There was no way I was getting caught out and repeating the nightmare we experienced on Tuesday on the Ant getting the top down approaching Ludham Bridge (More on this later)

We came alongside St Benets quay, the river was close to over topping, tide still on the up. Got top down safely, only 7ft3” airdraft, at The Bridge, wise move stopping at St Benets 

Thereafter a pleasant cruise to Sutton. Did the diesel n pump out at the Yard as they are closed on Saturdays till April time. 

Shore power connected. Visited pub (well I did) had dinner and the evening onboard for just the two of us bliss

Griff

• Like 9

in a word no, this is r644 star supreme 4 now carrying the name goodnight irene

• Like 1

Correct. Goodnight Irene used to berthed here in t wetshed just down from ‘B.A’ for many years

Griff

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Correct. Goodnight Irene used to berthed here in t wetshed just down from ‘B.A’ for many years

Griff

Can you just imagine how difficult it would be to play I spy with Yorkshire folk :default_eusa_naughty:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, quo vadis said:

I spy with my little eye something beginning with T :default_eusa_naughty:

Is it 't wind?

• Like 1

Saturday 15th Feb 2020

Sailing preps, by 1030 we are in the wetshed.

Jason n Sonia Hatch visited.

I then commenced a low level deep clean through all fwd from wheelhouse, below decks, bilges, under bunks and drawers. Took me hours n hours. All done, well chuffed.

Plugged Tv into our shoreside aerial - works well. Dinner onboard again from Stalham chippy, his time one large fish n chips between us, no mushies as they had ran out. Easily enough for the two of us. Still £10:05 though. 

Watched tv, then dvd. The wind and gusts outside were doing Dennis proud, I did not give a jot

Griff

• Like 7

Sunday 16th Feb - 'Lazy Sunday Routine' - If I had been at home I would have been clay shooting this morning, can't be in two places at once.  This Sunday somehow got away from us, did all sorts of little jobs here and there, cleaned through, packed up our gear and eventually departed somewhere around 1530.

So finished 'B.A's first outing of 2020. The first time she has been out in four months - which to be frank is just not good enough.  Still, for me and MrsG it was a long overdue time onboard, much needed for both of us, although that incident on Tuesday at Ludham Bridge was far from much needed - never to be repeated again (More on this later)

'B.A' is due out again in April, before then I hope to get another one of those maintenance weekends booked in to address a few issues that have come to light

Griff

• Like 4