Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

On WR we had a strong ring fixed to the cabin sides midships (bolted on the inside of the cabin side) with a rope that had a strong clip on the end so we could use it whichever side we suddenly found ourselves mooring.  Because of the steep foredeck, it was normal to jump ashore from midships anyway unless really necessary!  Of course WR is several feet shorter and lighter!

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing this Griff and to everyone else for their tips too. As relative newbies, this will prove invaluable to bear in mind.  I do feel we are pretty good at trying to anticipate issues with the weather conditions hence with our inexperience have cancelled the last two weeks boating which is now driving us nuts as we need our boat fix! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Griff, its an issue that I dread to encounter while single handing a boat, as I generally alight with both bow and stern rope in my hands, my first step is usually to at least get, a turn or two around a post, then still holding the end of that rope get the other around a different post, to be fair if there were no posts or rings I would find somewhere else to moor up as putting in rhond anchors while holding a boat against the wind would be a poor choice. if having to use rhond anchors I would try and find a shore the boat was being blown against, or somewhere sheltered. then again i am usually on a shorter boat, where the bow and stern ropes will reach either end of the boat.

Scary stuff Charlie,

Wind and a 11 ton Woodie don't mix, momentum is a dangerous thing. The wind from the side once pulled a mooring post out at Ranworth when moored using the middle cleat on Malanka for stability in the high wind. Leaving was a nightmare. 

As you know our freeboard up forwards in huge so we always get off from the middle, without instant pressure on the ropes what happened to you could and has happened to us also.  

I think you handled it very well, as I would have expected you to. So no pressure in future then mate …..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That must have been a heart stopping moment. Mine was a strong tide at Berney a few years ago.

As a frequently solo helm, even though Chiltern Lady is only 28’, I am going to look into fitting centre cleats, I like the look of the folding ones.

Here’s to better weather soon.

• Like 2

I think some owners and builders are frightened of making a trip or just cluttering the side decks but the answer I found was folding ones like these. Mine came from Force 4 or Mailspeed Marine.It goes without saying that if retro-fitting you must ensure the deck has adequate backing before bolting them in place.

During 'B.A's restoration period, I did look at the 'Pop up' type of deck cleats but discounted them.  I also considered fitting Deck cleats midships Port and Stbd but discounted them too. Never really missed not having them.  Fitting centre deck cleats now of course it is not an option as I would need to brace / strengthen under the deck before fitting them.  That, although possible is not really feasible, it would have to be done from underneath.  That is where the problem lies, I would have to remove the Port and Stbd fresh water tanks, that's a big job, especially the port one as it's huge

then again i am usually on a shorter boat, where the bow and stern ropes will reach either end of the boat.

'B.A's headrope is long but short by about a foot of being able to foul the prop so around 37ft.  The stern ropes are as long as I had room to stow them on deck safely, so about 28ft I would guess

Griff

• Like 1

As you said Griff " you are never too old to learn " 

A bad sloping bank, in exceptional conditions, short handed and now in future you know that you will lower at St Benets. It has never happened before, in what? Thirteen years since you restored her? The Broads are normally pretty benign in what ever blow, not worth giving the old girl surgery for.

We all live and learn!

• Like 1

Correct ChrisB, never happened in thirteen years.

I will continue to lower on the Ant whilst underway with enough crew onboard, or with just two of us if wind strengths are 'Normal'

That Tuesday, wind strength was exceptional to say the least, and only two of us onboard, and exceptional high water levels.  All three issues were exceptional and combined together all at the same time - That in itself is really exceptional.   Normally we don't need to bother lower owt apart from the mast for Ludham Bridge

Griff

following the canopy event on the ant during lads week when Robin, Simon and I were bringing BA down from Stalham to PH and we had the sides down but the canopy up, and a gust of wind caught under the canopy and it disappeared from above us in an instant, I would not want to be trying to lower that single handed while the mate steered in any kind of a wind, we were lucky as only 1 press stud pulled out of the screen, but it could have been worse, and yes the velcro  that seals the canopy has seen better days.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

following the canopy event on the ant during lads week when Robin, Simon and I were bringing BA down from Stalham to PH and we had the sides down but the canopy up, and a gust of wind caught under the canopy and it disappeared from above us in an instant, I would not want to be trying to lower that single handed while the mate steered in any kind of a wind, we were lucky as only 1 press stud pulled out of the screen, but it could have been worse, and yes the velcro  that seals the canopy has seen better days.

You can specify extra strong velcro. And there is another very strong product that I think Judith used, called something like " crick crack" both are like the proverbial to a blanket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

You can specify extra strong velcro. And there is another very strong product that I think Judith used, called something like " crick crack" both are like the proverbial to a blanket.

Careful with the extra strong velcro and it's alternatives such as the product by 3M which I think is duel lock , it's seriously hard to seperate especially if used in a continuous length , while the manufacturers adhesive is strong it's always good to back it up with a high strength impact adhesive .

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, D46 said:

Careful with the extra strong velcro and it's alternatives such as the product by 3M which I think is duel lock , it's seriously hard to seperate especially if used in a continuous length , while the manufacturers adhesive is strong it's always good to back it up with a high strength impact adhesive .

You are not wrong there D46! I fitted an RCD to a bulkhead in a cupboard in a yacht useing double sided self adhesive velcro. 18 years later it has not moved 1mm. This sort of thing.

Screenshot_20200221-181745.png

Yes the velcro is tired, it's been used there since 2007.  I have new stuff in stock - 3M, this time the correct colour too.  We are only replacing the velcro that is bonded to the windscreen and sides, the velcro on the vinyl will be staying.  I've tested a section and it will work fine and dandy.  There are also a fair few other issues that need attention.  Maintenance period planned for next month.  I'll do an update on t'other thread in due course,

Griff

17 hours ago, ChrisB said:

You are not wrong there D46! I fitted an RCD to a bulkhead in a cupboard in a yacht useing double sided self adhesive velcro. 18 years later it has not moved 1mm. This sort of thing.

Screenshot_20200221-181745.png

If you'd used Duel Lock you would have probably removed the bulkhead before the RCD  , it's a seriously strong hook and loop fastening system , the reason for stating only use in tabs is the fact 1 square inch of the stuff has been tested to hold a 1kg static load for 10,000 hrs , the other obvious reason is it's pretty expense .

• Thanks 1

Mind you I’ve got a bit of a crick in my neck now after viewing it.

Agreed, I ain't ever gonna get to Captains Blog standards, that's for sure

You do realise that you’ve now made Irstead an even more desirable mooring, if that’s possible.

Apparently according to the Lady that lives in t house t'other side of the hedge, it's a regular occurrence, especially early Wednesday mornings :default_norty:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...