Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

'B.A' is underway out and about with Londonrascal / Sheila onboard over the New Year

Tuesday 29th - alongside at Paddy's lane - reporting a windy night

Wednesday 30th over a very windy Barton but with surprisingly few white horses on the Broad, Potter Heigham and a very windy / choppy Thurne on their way back to Ranworth for overnight berthed alongside rather than stern on at the staithe.

This evening for New Years Eve booked in at the New Inn, horning.

Am I jealous? - Toooo right I am!

Griff

BA NBN 162.jpg

• Like 11

A New Year

Shiela and I had spent Christmas with my dad which had gone better than expected, myself having undertaken to cook the Christmas lunch which went down a treat.  For the New Year however we would be spending it on Broad Ambition.

Because I had procrastinated about this for some time, we had lost the window of getting a cheap rail fare, and so reluctantly we had to take the coach.  This is not too bad if the traffic is running well and as we left London things were looking good – our coach only making a stop at Stratford and Thetford before Norwich (it then goes on to Lowestoft) and for £25.00 for the pair of us for a single ticket it was good value.  

29th December:

We arrived in Norwich; walked the short distance from the Coach Station to a large Sainsbury’s and did our shop – Shiela being in charge of essential food items, myself perusing the drinks aisle.  We loaded our trolley up and must have looked rather strange with two wheeled suitcases and a shopping trolley wandering around Sainsbury’s but it worked out well as a quick call to Goldstar Taxi’s and we were collected and off to Stalham (£19.00 was the fare) which I think is not bad considering Wroxham Taxis have charged £18.00 from Stalham to Wroxham in the past. 

Dropped off at the Wet Shed it was time to get our skates on, it would be dark a little after 4:00pm this time of year and I wanted to get Broad Ambition out of the Wet Shed in the light since things in their are now very tight with a collection of long and short boats facing each other.  

We watered the boat, I checked through things and within 20 minutes of arrival we were slipping our berth.  Shiela on the stern myself on the bow edged Broad Ambition out and spun her to face the exit with just inches to spare at either end – it would make so much more sense if all the shorter craft were moored opposite the longer craft so one had more space to manoeuvre – but none the less all was well and we left into the failing light of the day, our destination undecided.

Shiela was unpacking and stowing the food (and making the berth) what a help it is to have this all done for you as you cruise along! By the time we were approaching Barton Broad two things were in my mind 1) was it worth carrying on in the dark to somewhere like Ludham Bridge and 2) Storm Frank was covering the western side of the country and overnight and into the next day would head east so a sheltered mooring would be ideal – Paddy’s Lane popped into my mind and so the call was made.

Shiela donned her life jacket and we came into moor making a first class, first attempt and in moments were alongside and tied.  We have become a good team with her being ‘my bow lady’.  Engine off the last of the light faded and the wind was getting a bit stiffer so time to fire up the heating and crack open a can of coke for her, some red wine for me and a snack of cheese, crackers and grapes before we figured out what we might like for dinner.

After our meal (Spaghetti Bolognese) cooked by Shiela and filmed and err ‘assisted’ by myself – the wind was now gusting strongly, the boat being pushed against the bank and all types of creaking noises coming from the leafless trees around us – I went out with the torch and doubled up our mooring lines and re-checked everything, from how well fastened the canopy was to the velcro and press studs to adjusting our fenders – it would be an interesting evening for sure.

30th December:

This was not a trip where we had to be up super earlier and doing a bunch of miles, so after a lazy start and some breakie we went for a walk along the moorings – the wind was now really very strong – my weather App indicated sustained winds of 25 MPH and gusts of 36 MPH. I then decided what Broad Ambition could do with is a small ‘in/out’ weather station, so things like temperature, humidity and wind speed could be known at the given location.  Shall have to look into this as I have a large weather station at home and find it very interesting recording my local weather and seasonal patterns. 

I spoke to Shiela and went through what we would be doing to leave the mooring and that Barton Broad would likely be choppy.  With things discussed we departed the mooring and a short cruise away we entered the large expanse of Barton Broad – the wind was high, but the waves were small – what a disappointment! That said, it was dry and mild and we were heading for Wroxham for we could buy some bits we forgot in Norwich the day before, and perhaps stay for a meal tonight. 

The river Ant was charming as ever it is, but extensive tree works had been carried out – a real boon at How Hill making this narrow stretch wider for the forthcoming season.  Although the wind was strong, we navigated with ease and soon were through Ludham Bridge without incident.  I send a message to Orca advising of the height and about this time decided it would be better to head for Potter Heigham – closer by, and we could get what we needed in Lathams not Roys. 

During our trip we passed a couple of hire boats from Faircraft Loynes – the only yard hiring at this time of year, they may have booked some time in advance and was good to see them enjoying the quietness of the rivers, and the mild weather we were having!  The river Bure, like the Ant was calmer than the wind suggested it would be, perhaps it was the direction of the wind that caused the waters to not be churned up too much, but by the time we reached the mouth of the river Thurne things had got a bit more interesting to say the least.  Gusting winds were now blowing right up the Thurne and the waves were now noticeable and pushing us along – so to speak.

We arrived at Potter Heigham, one privateer moored and us having to moor – I’d prefer the port side so I can easily get off to help Shiela, and also see exactly where the bank is.  Whatever we did, the wind would not be in our favour and would be pushing us ‘off the bank’.  Some of Herbert Woods fleet was moored on the left bank, meaning things were narrower than usual and Potter Heigham Bridge ahead of us (6ft 6” clearance) made me nervous about being pushed towards it.  I wanted to turn now rather than when we came to depart, so I nosed into Herbert Woods basin – backed out and made a turn, almost complete the wind decided to interject in proceedings and push the stern back around.  We were facing the right way now, but being pushed sideways towards the boats moored along the bank.  Quick thinking kicked the stern around and backed away to mid-channel whereupon the wind again had its own idea on where we would end up. 

I let the wind win, and we once more were turned so our bow faced the bridge – I’ll have a second round with the wind upon our departure – for now we need to get alongside, and just then a couple walking along offered us a hand.  Taking our bow rope it took all this chaps strength to hold it in and get around the post.  I brought the stern in and got off and then found how heavy Broad Ambition is to pull in against a 20MPH odd side wind.  Least we are secure now and both our lines are taught, the boat being held off the bank by about a foot.

We walked to Lathams, whereupon I was both really unhappy and happy at once – they had some jumpers – 2 for a tenner – thing is, only days earlier I had bought the identical jumpers for £20.00 each! I bought two and will take one of the higher priced ones back as I have the receipt and tags still on it. We got what we needed and then headed for the burger van – burger for me, hot dog for Shiela and then walked back to the boat. 

Once onboard I talked to Shiela about what we needed to do.  I knew the moment any line was let go the boat would drift away and certainly Shiela would not be able to hold it so she would stay on the boat.  I undid the bow line, allowing two turns on the post and her on deck to keep it in, then I let the stern go and got onboard myself.  The wind took the stern away at an alarming rate.  Shiela let the bow line go and we backed out then just as I brought the stern around, the boat would be pushed back to the moored boats – it was tough going, I don’t want to hit another boat or be ‘pinned’ to them by the wind broadside, equally, I don’t want to go too far the other way and go into the bank we had departed from.  The wind was having its own way again.

Time for another plan.  Back to the bank, bow line back on a post Shiela on deck the wind pushing us away as I gave just gentle revs with full starboard wheel and brought the stern round while Shiela held the bow spring, the boat was being pushed away all the time from the bank, so this manoeuvre was actually easier than I thought it might have been and should have done this first time around!  Now we were thankfully facing the right way - with stern to the bridge and not being pushed towards the moored boats.  Phew! 

At this point I decided Ranworth would be a good destination for the night – madness right?  With all this wind, but we would have water, power and a pub for dinner. By the time we were at the mouth of the river Thurne the wind gusts were now so strong the canopy was being pulled and pushed with the wooden bows that support it being pulled from their sockets.  Only the velcro around the sides of the wheelhouse and screens were keeping it in place.  The sash sides were being pushed and pulled and the whole boat was being rocked – this was the strongest winds I’ve cruised in on the Broads and while it was one thing underway, mooring was a real concern to me. 

We arrived at Malthouse Broad, the wind now right on our bow – and lighter here – I noticed a Freeman leave the staithe, and Orca was now only the second boat moored there.  They were moored ‘down the side’ of the staithe side on, and so it would be ideal for us to come in to moor there too and not contend with silly side winds trying to moor stern on. We drifted in and I could relax, perhaps it was the trees but it was so much calmer here. 

Come the evening I met up with Alan and Dave from Orca, and we all went into the Maltsters for a meal – and much conversation meant it was 11:30pm and we were the only souls in their still, it was clear we were being ‘eyed out’ of the place silently, we took the hint and got our coats to walk into a downpour.  Back onboard Broad Ambition and a change of cabin was required.  The double berth was wet soaked – the window had a leak – a blob of silicone would cure it, for now I used some Vaseline and a bowl on the mattress.  Shiela and I now in the forward v-berths settled down for the evening. 

31st December:

Up, not too early neither too late.  Spoke to Alan and shortly after was called for breakfast – once that was had, I set to trying to figure out what caused the cabin window leak.  I took the entire glass out and cleaned all along the drainage gully and ensured the drain holes were clear, then poured in water and sure enough a ‘pin hole’ of a leak was apparent in both corners of the window where some sealant had been. Simple fix but not something you can do on New Year’s Eve. Orca departed and it was not too long after that we were underway ourselves.

It was a truly amazing day, not a cloud in the sky, little wind and frankly silly mild temperatures for the time of year. We decided to just ‘cruise about’ and at the top of Ranworth Dam turned left for Horning. 

We went down to Salhouse Broad and turned to come back, passing River Song on our return with greetings exchanged we were going to Cockshoot Broad moorings, where I could prepare the boat.  Dressing lines out, windows cleaned and our funky LED coloured lights looking pretty cool – Broad Ambition was looking a treat.  I had been in touch with Orca, they ended up at Womack Water and had given up working on GMT and seemed to now be running on ‘Norfolk Time’.  We would cruise in company to the New Inn but arrive at dusk.

Sure enough Orca eventually arrived and we set off together along the river.  I absolutely hate mooring outside the New Inn, never have I moored here without a right fuss being made and this time was no exception – only there was now the added bonus of it being practically dark. The wind was beam on and had words with the current and they had both agreed to go the same way – this meant the moment we came in stern on, our bow was ‘taken’.  It took 2 men, one lady and a Rascal to tame Broad Ambition’s bow to stay straight.  Mud Weight down, lines tied I could relax but now Orca had to do the same and she was a lightweight planning hull with a nice dose of wheelhouse as a sail.  As it happened, the wind and current were kind and sort of gently deposited Orca to our starboard side the other end of the moorings – but they were secure and everyone could rest easy.

Shiela and I cooked up some Barbecue Chicken and rice and some more Spaghetti Bolognese and invited Alan and Dave onboard for a meal – we watched some of my recorded videos taken from live streams when Broad Ambition had been to Southwold, not to mention a few old blog videos.  Much was said, many laughs were had and it was a really good evening.  Time to head off to the pub, it was absolutely packed, but with a good vibe and we eventually got a table inside (after initially freezing poor Shiela half to death on the patio area).  At about 5 minutes to midnight, Alan and I left to get on the boats and at midnight we let off our horns – and I rang Broad Ambitions ‘ships bell’ to ring in the New Year! It felt really special, and fireworks all around the village went off in unison.  Back to the pub to see Shiela and give her the first kiss of 2016.

1st January:

We were the last to leave the moorings outside the New Inn – our boat having a thick layer of ice over it that the Tupperware boats around us had not, ha! I thought, that is what a cosy boat inside is all about.  Ice cleared, dressing lines and lights down it was time to head off ourselves – we would not be going home until tomorrow, so we headed for Sutton Staithe and the hotel.  We arrived about 1:30pm to deserted moorings and popped into the hotel for lunch, only they had finished serving early today so booked in for an evening meal.

Come 7:30pm we were back again – the only people eating as it turned out – and to a disappointing meal.  I’ve always had a great meal here, but tonight the chips had been overdone, then left to go luke warm, the salad was just lettuce and cucumber and Shiela’s fish was a few minutes too long in the deep fryer.  Still, it was cosy inside and filled a hole having nothing on board to eat but would have been nicer if it was up to the usual standard I’ve come to expect from the place.  

Back on the boat it was time to settle down with a DVD, some cheese and nibbles and generally take life easy.  Today had been a short and easy day compared to the others, and it was nice to not have had to do too much cruising and have an early night. 

2nd January:

We had purposely stayed an extra day as I felt sure having a pump pt and getting fuel would be doable on the 2nd, but not a bit of it.  Sutton Staithe was closed and no notice of when may be open again (at the site or online) – and that was the story wherever else we tried, other than Boulters in Horning but they closed early and we would not have got there from Sutton before they closed. Shiela made a good call – let’s get the boat back to the Wet Shed now, and spend the rest of the day in Norwich, and so we were soon back in the Wet Shed and doing the usual clean through of the boat with a cab booked to take us into Norwich – just as thousands of others descended into the city as a match was taking place – let’s just say the traffic was not smooth! 

We had a meal, did some shopping and then waited for out coach back to London, content we had been lucky to be afloat at this time of year and although for Shiela it was not always the most interesting of times, we both had a good time and had some great company from Alan and Dave from Orca during our travels.  I look forward to many more memories and good times to share during 2016, but for now ‘that’s all folks’.

• Like 8

Loved the write up and the video blog - Tks

BUT

Where was the ensign staff then eh? eh?

I'll tell you where - in the quarter berth is where it was / is but it should have been on the transom with the ensign flying!   A veritable keel hauling offence, being underway with no ensign flying, what is the world coming to?

I reckon LR and / or Sheila just did it to wind me up!

Griff

• Like 4

It made appearances at times, and sometimes it did not - but I'm in the process of sorting out a 'Rascal' flag or sorts - much like the Queen likes to show to her subjects, if it's flying I'll be onboard.

As for the video, I am rendering a new 're-edit' which to my mind is not only a better video but has sorted the whole copyrighted music business out which prevented it being seen on Mobiles, Tablet's and Smart TV's.  Once live I will post it below, I've put the video above back as public.

• Like 1

STOP EVERYTHING!

Right now I've got your attention, I spent some time re-editing the last Captain's Blog, carefully checked with You Tube's audio library tool to see if tracks I had selected were ok - and all seemed good.

I rendered the new video and uploaded it, only to find the damn thing is blocked in Germany and as a result won't play back on some devices (like mobiles) because a track's record company is UMG.

Well, I tried - so here is the new (and better with added scenes) New Year Special of the Captain's Blog.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Not so much 'Underway' this trip as it was a proper maintenance weekend which usually means chin down, derrière up and staying in the wet-shed.   However Friday night we did go out in Bro's car for a tour of the local pubs, not one drink was consumed or the bar visited in the first three venues :pcwhack:

This was coz we woz a bit late in leaving, nearly 2000 as it happens, we decided on going for dinner at The Pleasureboat Inn, Hickling, got there 10 mins after last orders for food, back in the car and off to the Kings Arms at Ludham, they finished food early that night due to a live band being on.  Back in the car and off to the Ferry at Horning, 'Sorry we have finished food for the night' back in the car and off to the fourth 'hostility' which was the Swan at Horning - Result, we eventually got dinner at around 2130 but was past caring by then.  Back onboard for DVD, nightcap and lights out

Saturday night we actually took 'B.A' out of the shed - at around 1830 (Night-Nav) bound for Sutton Staithe and dinner, meeting up with Jason/Sonia.  This time we would not be late, lesson learned from the previous night.  Berthed up on the green and into the bar at exactly 1900.  Howard at the bar - 'Table for five please' - 'Sorry' we have a wedding on and another large group so no food for anyone that has not booked :lineup:  You're having a laugh surely? - Nope no dinner.  Step forward Jason Hatch - Well he is a local, speaks the lingo and has the same nickname as all Norfolk locals - Darren. (Well Ok then, 'Shrek' in his case)

'Please inform the chef that we will have five dinners of any description and we are here all night so at anytime to suit him'

Half an hour later five plates of Burgers/cheese/bacon with chips, coleslaw, salad duly arrived. Robin was in his element as burgers of any description are his very favourite, usually more the merrier too.  I have to say it was very good, so was the many pints of ale consumed and the company, Sonia was looking her v.good self.   Needless to point out we did put on a DVD whence back onboard but only saw 15 mins of it.

Sunday morning, lazy start and a lazy cruise back round to Richo's, completed some more tasks and home we went.

Roll on Next trip out when I should make it well past the turn off for Sutton

Griff

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've had loads of em this week, still one more won't do any harm I suppose.  Had a great caserole, 'B.A's oven really is the biz, 9 years old and still does the job, just one repair to date and an easy one at that.  Indoors proper warm now, might have to turn down the heating !   Now watching 'Taken 3'

Griff

• Like 1

It might be a chilly night but there is still something special about being on a boat and each morning the view out the cabin window can be as different as the weather. The freedom to do what you wish and when makes it all the better to me.

Good to hear the oven is performing as should - rest of week and into weekend is looking a lot nicer no rain an sunshine!

• Like 3

Well that was some week. Got onboard Sunday late on after calling in at Sutton Staithe hotel en-route in the Jeep with Macie dog - just to make sure they had the fire lit you understand.

Monday 07th  morning was the usual visit for supplies and the like and I was away by lunchtime. First stop was Johnny Crowes staithe, it was free, we were in. I planned to spend Monday through to Tuesday if not Wednesday here - No chance, it was boggy, soddon muddy and not pleasant, both me and Macie dog were making the decks and inboard a right old mess, Fishing was out as it was proper cold, bitter even so a night in snug and doing nowt but watching dvd's

Tuesday 08th  Woke to a frozen over boat, roofs, decks even the berthing ropes so I wasn't fishing in that either. We sailed for LBBy as I wanted to call in (Fuel water separator) then it was onto Ranworth, just after joining the Bure shortly after Horning Hall, there it was flying low from the Stbd to Port bank - a Bittern in full flight - First time I had seen one, I recognised it instantly but could scarcely believe my eyes - Proper chuffed I was, my first sighting in 55 years of visiting the Broads. Maltsters at lunchtime, then stopped on the water to have a word with Mum / Dad / Dusty dog and onto Horning for overnight, outside the Swan, met a couple of LR's blog followers, nice couple.

Wednesday 09th  - woke to rain and lots of it I was in no hurry so waited for it to stop - It didn't. We departed this time for P.H.  The river levels were high, over topping some of the quay heading as we passed St Benets Abbey. P.H the wind was blowing me off the bank so a tricky berthing procedure, thankfully a bloke off another boat took my ropes and helped me out getting alongside.  the wx was still pants, in fact we didn't step off the boat for the hour or so we were there. 'That Bridge' was showing an airdraft of 5ft7" so that was out even for 'B.A'  Onto Womack Water for overnight, berthed side on, walked up to the Kings Arms as at last the rain had stopped, still no fishing done.

Thursday 10th - Rain was still off so it was time to get my rods out - all to no avail not even a single bite, another chap off a hire boat said the weeks fishing for him had been poor too.  So we sailed, destination St Benets Abbey via a trip down to the Bure as far as Eastwood Whelpton dyke and back, just because we could and it was a proper nice day too.  The cut from the Thurne to Womack Waters has recently seen some work to mainly the port bank as per photo's

Griff

BA NBN 219.JPG

BA NBN 220.JPG

BA NBN 221.JPG

BA NBN 222.JPG

BA NBN 223.JPG

BA NBN 224.JPG

BA NBN 225.JPG

BA NBN 226.JPG

BA NBN 227.JPG

• Like 6

Thursday 10th  St Benets, seeing as it was turning out to be a nice day, I took Macie for a walk on the understanding that under no circumstances was she to venture into any standing water of any description, this was especially important if there was any soft black stuff present, nor was there to be any chasing of pheasants , partridges or come to that any wildlife that has feathers on it (Magpies excepted)  So instruction issued and received off we went.  Gatehouse and then up to the cross, (Had a word with the boss upstairs whilst I was there, rude not too) and eventually back onboard, we both enjoyed it.

The photo of Macie dog - looks tired out dozing in the sunshine doesn't she? more importantly she was drying out as not only did she go in the now disused fish ponds she went into the Bure for good measure too, well stuff it, I couldn't be cross, she is on her holidays too you know!

Griff

BA NBN 228 .JPG

BA NBN 229.JPG

BA NBN 230.JPG

• Like 4

Carry on fishing for the rest of the afternoon, both with float and Ledger - again nowt. So we moved off to Fleet Dyke.  Now this a favourite place of mine and I prefer to wild moor, that is nudge alongside the reeds, head and stern rope in one hand, rhond anchors in t'other than a leap of faith into the reeds hoping there is terra firma under-trotter. There was and we were sorted.  Fleet dyke for me in certain areas is a known 'Hot-Spot' for fishing.  Out rods - Nowt again I used ground bait, tired worm, maggot, bread, sweet corn - it just wasn't happening, if I had a few sticks of dynamite I would have used that! even well after dark.  The highlight was seeing an otter for a good 20 mins on the opposite bank working his was down the cut in and out of the reeds.  Heating on and retired inboard for the night.

Friday 11th  Up v.early out both rods once again, same result as last night, so I moved, had a sail into S.Walsham broad then got us berthed as close as I could to the boatyard, more fishing = more of the same. It was soon time for me and Macie dog to meet Barry (Springsong) who took us to a favourite pub of his 'The Ship Inn'  Barry was the landlord in years gone by.  We had lunch and enjoyed each others company.  It's years since I have been in that pub.  Back onboard and we set sail for LBBy (Needed to test the domestic batteries onboard and have a pump out) and then onto Lime Kiln Dyke and Neatishead staithe.

Lime Kiln Dyke has too seen recent work on cutting back the trees, they have been very busy, some of the trees opposite Gays staithe has seen their attention too.  Its mainly the Port bank of the dyke with the odd one or two on the starboard bank getting pruned too.  Neatishead Staithe - there was plenty of room, even without disturbing the fishermen.  I got a float rod out and actually caught a few, first time this week! (It's embarrassing, that's what it is)  Mr Jason Hatch came calling he took the pair of us to the pub in the village, dog friendly, good company and food too, a good evening had by all, I elected to wak back for Macie's benefit. Back onboard, heating on quiet night in - bliss

Griff

BA NBN 231.JPG

BA NBN 232.JPG

BA NBN 233.JPG

BA NBN 234.JPG

BA NBN 235.JPG

BA NBN 236.JPG

• Like 9

Interesting to read how your week went Griff. I wouldn't have recognised Womack Dyke - looks a bit of a mess at the moment then. And the river level looks well up. Will probably take a look ourselves while we're out and about over the next few days.